Night Howls

Options

Comments

• Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    This is my being thankful post, I slept right through the night! We lost power from midday yesterday for 3 hours on a stinking hot day so no arvo nap. Best nights sleep I have had in a long time.
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,377
    Options
    @kmakm All the best for today’s CHEK2 appointment. Did your sons uni options work out?
  • kitkatb
    kitkatb Member Posts: 442
    Options
    So true @arpie makes you rethink the 1%.     Hope new med's work for you before the Uke Festival.   I can't believe how many Uke clubs there are. I was down in SA over Christmas and there seems quite a few down there as well as met a woman who belonged to one.  
    Have you been out for a fish.  Have being watching the TV re all these fish dead in the Murray Darling. What a shit fest it is becoming with all the blaming going on.  xo
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,588
    Options
    Great that you got a good night's sleep @Brenda5..... From exhaustion, do you think? @ What a pain, losing your power in that heat!

Yes, @kmakm   @iserbrown   @sister  @kitkatb  ..... without my uke, I would be an extremely GRUMPY HORRIBLE PERSON to live with!!  It really has become such a big part of my life!  So I NEED my fingers to work - so we'll see how the prednisone goes .... yep - that 1% is a real sticking point - if it was 5% - not so much !!

If any of you are ever near a Uke Festival or have a local uke group - pop in & have a listen, maybe give it a go - they are such FUN events - and you will be AMAZED at the skill of a lot of the performers!!  Most groups would have a spare uke for you to try!  Anything a Pop Group can do - us Ukers can do it as well - but you never see a Grumpy Uke Player (unlike some guitar players that look like they could puke even whilst they are playing!)  LOL    Check out this video - 12 years ago and over 16 million views .... this man, Jake Shimabukuro is now considered one of the best uke players in the world - he doesn't sing - he only plays 'melody'!  This is the video that kick started his international career!!  SO many people take up uke after watching this video!  Anyone who thinks a uke is a 'toy' - not so!!  His current uke is now worth $10,000+!!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puSkP3uym5k

Then this one - 675 Million views - absolutely amazing! ..... Iz playing Somewhere Over the Rainbow - sadly he was morbidly obese & died in his 30s  :(    A magic voice tho.  I cry when they bring his ashes home towards the end  :( 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1bFr2SWP1I

We've got big winds just now, @kitkatbso sadly, it is too dangerous to get the kayak out .... maybe this weekend tho.  The fish kill is shocking  - and it is a totally man made disaster.  The water from the Murray Darling starts with the 'wet' up in Qld, and the floodwater goes thru 3-4 states finally reaching the sea in Vic.  Currently, WAY too much water is being diverted to the big Cotton Farms in Qld & NSW along the way, virtually reducing the flow in the river to NIL!  It needs the natural floods to flush it out every year or so & that hasn't happened for a decade - so no wonder it is all stagnant.  It is shocking.

Take care, everyone - do what you've gotta do to get thru this shit disease!! xx

• Flaneuse
    Flaneuse Member Posts: 899
    Options
    @arpie The joy you find in your playing and the joy you give to others when they hear you, and the contribution you make to others because you are more whole when you can play - those are clearly priorities for you. I understand. I hope you can find the right balance with these shit medications we're enduring without knowing how much they're helping us. xx
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    All better today thanks @Sister.
  • Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    Options
    Cancer the gift that keeps on giving. Skin infections, colds, low neutrophils. Eye sight problems.....
  • Sarnicad
    Sarnicad Member Posts: 318
    Options
    @arpie have done a uke session - it was amazing and they taught a whole hall full of people to play a song. We have 3 in the house and the kids tinker on them when looking for entertainment-they learnt one year in their music program in school. I love somewhere over the rainbow by iz 

@Patti J yes just continuously doesn’t it eyesight problems are in my basket atm since chemo slowly getting better but some days I have to get others to read numbers to me. Pretty funny to watch me move my head around to read ph numbers of our computer system at work - also intensely frustrating for me seems to be mainly n7mbers and mainly on my computer

about to try to go sleep. Had a shocker last night but it followed news of the death of a friend from ovarian cancer, it was expected but still shocking. You can imagine wha5 I spent most of last night thinking about. Hopefully tonight will be better - can’t even take anything because I’ve put my magic box of drugs somewhere safe at Christmas and now I can’t find it anywhere
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your friend @sarnicad.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    I'm so sorry about your friend @Sarnicad. Sending you a big hug. K xox
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Options
    So sorry @Sarnicad.  Even when it's expected it doesn't make it hurt any less.  

xoxoxox
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    sorry to hear Sarnicad, Cancer is a bitch no matter which form it takes in our lifes

hugs
    xxx

• arpie
    Options
    I so sorry to hear of your friend's passing @Sarnicad   xx  I am glad you & your kids have ukes at home & enjoy them.  I love Iz's Somewhere too xx

@Patti J - I hope your cold & skin infections fix up quickly ... thinking of you xxx

• Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    @arpie that first uke vid was absolutely breath taking. I have IZ original CD album. Most of it is sung in Hawaiian though except for the Over the Rainbow one.
  • arpie
    Options
    Jake is amazing - that song started his professional ukulele career. Up til then, no-one was really earning a living as a uke player.  Now there are heaps.  They are not toys!

For a big fella, Iz played the smallest uke, @Brenda5 - a Soprano - and he had big fat fingers & the softest voice!  Listening to him singing in Hawaiian is a delight!  He was a big supporter of Hawaii for Hawaiians - i.e. get the USA out - give them independence, as USA annexed Hawaii illegally (invaded it) in 1he 1800s.  So, many of those songs would be protest songs, for sure.