Night Howls

1184185186187188190»

Comments

• Keeping_positive1
    Keeping_positive1 Member Posts: 555
    Ladies, ladies, ladies, why on earth are you pushing yourselves "working for the man" and you are exhausted.  Sometimes I just wonder if we have learned our lesson?  Do you remember the doctor who wrote that article?  She advocated looking after herself, and is no longer working, but looking after her health much better now.  I have some friends that their husband was happy they looked after their health and focused on not being exhausted all the time.  Is this an option?  
  • Keeping_positive1
    @Sister I hope you can find a way around not having to go back to FT work if that is your wish.  Sometimes job sharing is an alternative to full time work, and I know of some women who have been able to achieve that within their professional careers in the workforce.  I hope you can find a balance that works well for your personal situation.  Take care. xx

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Unfortunately, the financial costs of treatment --in my case repeated-- can drive us into situations that are not ideal from a 'wellness' perspective. I calculated that my last shitfight probably cost me close to $200K by the time I factored in lost wages, medical expenses and superannuation over three years.

Would things have been different if I could have accessed welfare payments apart form the punitive Newstart while I was really in the thick of it? Maybe. But if I was relying on some sort of pension for any extended period of time, I'd have been stuck in an extended poverty trap that also would have been no good for my general well being.

Dragging my sorry arse back into the workforce has been physically and mentally exhausting, but being bankrupt and homeless was probably not going to improve my circumstances. The bills need to be paid and the somewhat remote prospect of old age means I do need to do what I can now. While I can still do anything.

Another aspect of this is a feeling of control. Cancer treatment is extremely destabalising, particularly for folk entirely reliant on their own resources. Getting back into the workforce can give a sense of progression that should not be discounted.

I'd love to be in a situation where I could take it easy. I'm not. No amount of financial advice or planning can make the two bits of string that need to meet in the middle stretch any further.

So, like many others, I soldier on. It has it's rewards.
  • Keeping_positive1
    @Zoffiel I agree with you that the punitive Newstart is totally forcing people to live well below the poverty line, when in fact some should be on sickness benefits, but that doesn't exist anymore.  I wouldn't also underestimate the advice that can be given by a Financial Planner, I was guided to apply for a TPD and it was granted.  I wasn't successful in receiving a Disability Support Pension, but left on Newstart, been there done that, just an awful situation to be in, for sure.  Take care. xx

• Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,352
    @Keeping_positive1 I only just started and have four weeks of training first. I think the training is what is killing me. My contract is only until the end of January and then I will ask for Wednesdays off so that I am only working four days (with that break in the middle). If they refuse I will need to reconsider my options.
  • FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,513
    Good luck @Blossom1961, I hope training eases up and you get Wednesdays off 🤞🤞. It would def help a lot. 
  • Keeping_positive1
    @Blossom1961 a mid week break would be great, I hope you can get it off.  All the best and take care. xx
  • Blossom1961
    I love the fact that you ladies care for me even though we have never met. Although, maybe that is why. lol  ;)
  • Blossom1961
    edited March 2023
    Three nights of insomnia. Today I have achieved a great. I have stayed upright so far.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,510
    edited March 2023
    It is miserable, isn't it, when you can't sleep?   That happened to me the other night - no sleep at all - was up watching TV at 2am ..... stayed awake all day & had a better night that night!  I've run out of my magic oil ... got some more on the way!!  it really helps with my sleep - AND aches & pains!!

Take care @Blossom1961 xx

• Blossom1961
    Hadn't thought of that. I might try magic oil tonight. Thank you @arpie
  • Blossom1961
    Well the magic oil didn't help me sleep much but oh I feel so relaxed and my mind isn't racing. Very nice.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,510
    edited March 2023
    Try it again each night for a week .... it can take a while to 'titrate' up to the desired effect xx

I take it 30-60 mins before I go to bed ..... so I don't have to wait for it to kick in.  ;)