What are your easiest, tastiest meals - quick to prepare when you can't think of anything!!

Options

Comments

• jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,959
    Options
    Dear @Artferret, thanks for the photo - yummeee!
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    You can do something similar with the taco boats.
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,377
    Options
    @Artferret Looks scrummy. I will replace the cream with coconut cream and the tasty cheese with bio cheese as I have a dairy intolerance. I can handle small amounts of Parmesan so I will keep that. Mmmmmm, I can taste it already.
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Whilst I recuperate hubby is doing a great job. Today we had bananas starting to soften so I found this recipe on the net.

BANANA YOGHURT MUFFINS

Serves: 12

Prep Time

Cook Time

Total Time

5 mins

20 mins

25 mins

Ingredients
    • 1 3/4 cups self-raising flour
    • 1/2 cup caster sugar
    • 1 cup natural yoghurt
    • 1 egg
    • 1/2 cup canola oil
    • 1 tsp vanilla
    • 3 large bananas, mashed

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 180°C, fan forced.
    2. Sift flour into bowl, add sugar, stir to combine.
    3. Add, yoghurt, egg, oil, vanilla and bananas, stir through.
    4. Spoon mixture evenly into muffin cases.
    5. Bake in oven for 18-20 minutes or until golden.
    6. Rest in pan for 5 minutes, turn onto a wire rack to cool completely.
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    After watching Escape to the country (Wales) and they spoke of Bara Brith curiosity set in and I hot hubby to make this as well. 

https://www.thespruceeats.com/welsh-recipes-bara-brith-cake-434849
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,584
    Options
    YUM!!   Banana Muffins are my FAVOURITE, @iserbrown  - sometimes I don't even wait til the bananas are brown!!  LOL  I think I prefer them still yellow!!

The cake looks good too!!

Just now, I am munching on another favourite!!  Swag Bog!!  Whilst I DO cheat and use a pasta sauce, I always add 2 diced onions and 1 diced capsicum, heaps of garlic and mixed herbs!!

• arpie
    Options
    Oooops - re-reading the above - it should have said 'Spag Bog' (aka Spaghetti Bolognaise!)

Oooh - THis one looks 'doable' - Not a 'meal' as such - but definitely a tasty looking snack!!

How often do you have that ONE Zucchini left in your fridge - only to toss it out when it goes rotten ??  Yep, me too!  LOL

Give this a go!

• jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,959
    Options
    Will try this soon.

• arpie
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Here's one for easy Xmas pressies for the family!   (When there is a glut of cucumbers, they can be really really cheap too!)

I used to just do just the Lebanese Cucumber/Onion one - & it is scrummy - but this one adds Red Peppers that makes it even more 'pretty' (almost Xmasy in colours!)  It needs the sugar to balance the acidic flavours ...... so don't scrimp on it!

(My recipe used to have salt sprinkled over the veges whilst the vinegar mix was cooking & cooling - then squeeze excess liquid out before bottling.  This would help 'soften' the veg - and the mix would last longer than 2 months.)  :) 

It is really YUMMY with salads & cold cut meats

Fresh Cucumber Salad...stays in the fridge up to 2 months!

7-cups un-peeled Lebanese cucumbers sliced thinly - a Mandolin is very handy here - just watch your fingers!
    1-cup onions sliced thinly
    1-cup bell peppers sliced thinly

1-tbsp salt
    1-cup white vinegar
    2-cups sugar
    1-tsp celery seed
    1-tsp mustard seed

Mix cucumbers, onions, peppers and salt; set a side
    Put vinegar, sugar, celery seed and mustard seed in a pot and bring to a boil - stirring to make sure sugar dissolves
    Remove from heat and let cool for one hour - stuff the cucumber/onions/pepper mix in sterilised jars
          (those with plastic lids are better than metal lids .... make sure they have the 'card insert' in the lid for a better seal.)
    Pour cooled mixture over cucumber/onion/pepper mix
    If you have extra 'mix' - cut up some more cucumbers/onion & pepper!
    Put in jars and store in refrigerator
    Will keep at least 2 months, sometimes longer!  

The flavours actually develop more over time!   YUM!
  • arpie
    Options
    Xmas is coming - and it can be chaotic and fun at the same time.  Sometimes it is nice to try something 'new' in the food department .... I managed to download this booklet that has some neat food ideas!  Let me know if any appeal to you!!

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    Festive fare for a vegetarian can be tricky! Over a couple of decades I’ve tried most things! ‘New’ is challenging.  But anything for Christmas that starts with a plan a month ahead has lost me anyway! 
  • arpie
    Options
    So what is your most favourite EVER vegetarian meal @Fraser ?  My brother in law arrives this evening and he is a total vegan & usually brings all his own 'main meals' with him - but it would be nice to cook him 'something nice'!!

I am not sure if we've got any vegan recipes yet?  xx

2 weeks to go ..... 

• cranky_granny
    cranky_granny Member Posts: 703
    Options
    Oh Dear
    this just reminded me the lunch menu is not sorted 
    Who brings what?? where has the brain been never left it this late before hoping not to over cater and I’m going for keep it simple stupid. 
    Wish me luck. 
    With 20 grand children attending this year ages 18mths to 19 
    food was the last thing on my mind 
    and 4 sets of parents 
    how to feed the multitude without breaking the bank 
    any suggestions 

• arpie
    edited December 2019
    Options
    OMG ..... 20 grand kids, @cranky_granny!  That will be INCREDIBLE - I hope you are up to it!!  Send them a list - the sooner the better ... I did that when my brother's daughter, husband & child came over from the UK and my siblings & partners & kids all joined us too, to catch up with them.  One brought the ham, one brought the booze, one brought the prawns & meat, the other the Xmas Cake/pudding & extras - I supplied the breakfast stuff, veges, bickies etc and accommodation!

We did a lot of picnics, so there wasn't a lot of 'in house dining' other than breakfast.  Even the evening meal - it is daylight til after 8pm - so BBQ at the beach/river was very handy (or anywhere) specially as it is sure to be hot  .... 

All the best - it is all about delegating - and make sure they know who does the washing up too!!  ;) 

We actually do a picnic on Xmas Day as well - and put the kayaks in for a fish!!  The water is usually empty of craft on Xmas Day - but watch out on Boxing Day!  All the idiots are out doing donuts!  grrr

@Afraser - the Sweet Chilli Pesto Pizza could be a 'goer'? Also the quinoa salad & Sweet Potato Feta & Cauli Rice?  Do you eat fish at all (a vegequarian?) there are some fishy bits there too!!

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    I’m an omnivore! The vegetarian (thanks heavens not vegan, that’s just too hard!) is my daughter. I’ve done the festive nut log, the parsnip/cranberry/etc terrine, the cauliflower/pumpkin options in various forms, the festive red/green stuffed peppers,  the veggie stacks......I need either a new vegetable or a new brain. Possibly time to recycle an earlier triumph! Rest of my HUGE family Christmas Eve do (six in all!) will get what I feel like cooking. And no, vegetarians don’t eat fish - although I did a spectacular salmon dish for the rest of us last year! I do quite enjoy Christmas Eve, I just don’t want to be preoccupied by it for weeks. Christmas Day is a do nothing day for me - lovely!