What are your easiest, tastiest meals - quick to prepare when you can't think of anything!!

Options

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,602
    Options
    Anzac Day is approaching  -  who remembers Anzac Biscuits?  It must be decades since I've made them!  I used to make them all the time as a kid!

• June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,834
    Options
    30 biscuits - nah - if hubby is around I only get 1/2 that amount as he does not want "girlie sized biscuits" !!!!!
    Thanks for the reminder.  Love making them.  I can have them occasionally but nowadays I find them too sweet.
  • arpie
    Options
    hahaha @Summerhill38 - I used to eat half of the raw mixture when I was a kid!! I MUST make some!!  :)

• June1952
    Options
    Didn't we all eat the raw mixtures when Mum was cooking ?
    Hubby 'hovers' when I am cooking and still grabs the beaters or spoon - it is a given !   :)

• Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,380
    Options
    I never manage to make a full batch of biscuits. Half always disappears when in the dough stage. Mmmmm
  • arpie
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I reckon we should have a competition  .... I WILL MAKE A BATCH TOMORROW!!!!

Will YOU??

And we always used a 'walnut' not a 'ping pong' for the 'size guage' .....

If you don't like them too sweet - just reduce the brown sugar a bit ..... 

Photos of finished produce required ..... including 'head count'!!
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    @arpie
    Okay, I have made banana bread this morning - our IGA occasionally has trays of bananas that are good for baking, cheaper than the normal, last few days I have turned them into a banana plum pudding, banana muffins and today, banana bread.  I have also taken up your challenge of a batch of ANZAC biscuits.
    They are on the rack drying at present, 30 in all - found it to be a wet mixture however they have coloured up - will take photo later when they make it to the biscuit tin!
  • arpie
    Options
    Terrific @iserbrown -  I've just gleaned a bottle of Golden Syrup from a uke friend (I couldn't be bothered lining up at the supermarket for just one item!!) So will start making them as well!!   I used to LOVE them as a kid - it was my job to make them!

And in keeping with ANZAC .... I am currently doing some research on a distance relative that used to be in the Northern NSW Scottish Rifles regiment.  Some fought in the Boer War.  It was disbanded just before WW1 and they were all absorbed into other regiments.  But they were definitely the most flamboyantly dressed!! 

This pic was taken either late 1800s or early 1900s.

We 'think' he is my great Grandfather - but have been unable to find any records of him being a member - other than he joined up for WW1 giving his age as 50 (he was 55) and his son (my grandfather) also joined.  Both survived the war & came home.

It is a glass photo, sadly busted & now glued onto clear glass ..... 

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,378
    Options
    HI @arpie

There was an Eden photographic studio in MELBOURNE in the early 1900s. There is also a good site for researching Australian participants in WW1 if you have your grandfather’s full name. If you PM me, I’ll give you the link. Best wishes. 

• Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,380
    Options
    Hi @arpie I will make some as well, but it will have to be on the weekend as I am too tired after work.
  • June1952
    Options
    Amazing photo.  I have found my Grandmother's UK postcards from 1904-1913.  She came to Australia in 1913.  I have found out so much about the family since sorting the cards and sending them to historical societies O/S.  Cannot track her family but have had contact from Grandfather's side (he died before I was born).  After all these years I have an interest in the family !
  • arpie
    Options
    Thanks @Summerhill38 - that would be VERY interesting!  Put her full name into Trove (https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/) you may be very surprised what comes up!!   I've found a HEAP of information, including all my own family's birth, death & marriage notices & all sorts of  unexpected stuff - including the possible suicide of said great grandfather (above) in 1929!  :( 

So ... I grabbed the Golden Syrup from my buddy - and luckily had all the other ingredients on hand for Anzac Biscuits (I really couldn't be bothered queuing up for the one ingredient, so very lucky Wendy had some!)  I will take 10 around to her as a Thank You!

And here are my Anzac Biscuits - the proof is in the pudding!  I got 31 out of the mix ..... I seem to recall 'my old recipe' having them flatter bigger & more caramelized, particularly around the edges (that would sometimes burn!)  I also recall the bicarb soda foaming up WAY  more than today .... With @iserbrown thinking it a bit 'wet' I added a bit more coconut & Rolled Oats - so whilst 'pliable', wasn't 'wet'.

10 are eaten already!  YUMMY!  Hubby will have to use a LOT of discipline to not scoff the lot over a couple of days!  LOL

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    From my school cookery book - from long long ago