What are your easiest, tastiest meals - quick to prepare when you can't think of anything!!

Comments

• Blondy
    Blondy Member Posts: 238
    I meant Marleyspoon. Darn autocorrect. Also I mean when I cook the dinner for 2 servings I can make it 3 to 4 servings  
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,525
    What a great idea, @Blondy - and without the excess food/veg being tossed - it would be surprisingly price effective, as you are spreading the meals over the week!!   It isn't difficult to get a trolley load being over $100 twice a week in our household ..... with most of it being meat & veg ... but you are always tempted to buy stuff you don't really need (cos you have them in the cupboard at home already!)  It cuts out the impulse buying!

A buddy was going camping for a week, so rang Light & Easy & got 1 week's worth of 'dinners only' delivered to him before he left (at a reduced price, from memory as it was his first order) so he only had to provide his own breakfast & lunch ... and the food he was eating for dinner looked superb - and was already prepared - just needed reheating!!  

• Blondy
    Blondy Member Posts: 238
    @arpie Years ago had all my meals through lite and easy  They were very nice especially the dinners. It cost about $80 for all meals and snacks but now it's more than double now. Some of my clients get the dinners only and find it does them for 2 meals . 
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Oooh, I wish @afraser - I would have no trouble doing that.  Unfortunately, mine doesn't cook and we'd be eating straight out of a tin and I mean that literally - no plates involved.  If it was only me, I would also be sorely tempted to get meals delivered but with 5 of us (and 3 of them eating their body weight in food) it would not be practical.  
  • arpie
    Mine is the same as yours @Sister - we'd get sick of baked beans on toast pretty quickly ..... as it is, most afternoons, I find food in the microwave that he's heated up for lunch & forgotten to take out & eat!  :(  

Tempted to try the Light & Easy dinners when camping - but they only do the major cities.  :(  

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,354
    We should all be training sons to cook - a man who can is fantastic. My partner bottles olives, makes wine, bakes bread and can invent sauces. Saves his best for nightly meals and tend to play down festive occasions (or visitors!) - so I take over then! Maple glazed salmon with a pomegranate salsa for Christmas was a hit. I can do that if I don't have to do it too often!! 
  • Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    I have taught my husband to cook. He does all of the grocery shopping as well. My son is always cooking. I can cook, but prefer not to. 
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Teaching boy and girls.  I figure that they should be able to move out of home knowing at least 2 inexpensive, filling and heathy meals.
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,951
    Dear @kmakm, After this thread re-surfaced I finally cooked your Fish and Tomato Curry recipe last night. Very yummy - spices and quantities just right, and so easy. With boiled rice alongside; I put a variety of vegies in with the rice, cut up small so it all cooks at the same time. Last night had peas and corn (frozen), broccoli and carrot in the rice. @soldiercrab and others have also put me onto 'cauliflower rice' for cutting down the carbs.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    @jennyss I'm so glad you liked it! Good idea putting the veg in the rice instead of the sauce. I'll try that next time. K xox
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,951
    Lash out and buy 1/2 kg of prawns, fresh loaf of crusty white bread and a bottle of champagne. Retire to kitchen  table with newspaper spread out for the mess. Eat prawns then have rest on recliner chair in front of air conditioner. Easy!
  • Bbryce
    Bbryce Member Posts: 38
    Whilst I had chemo...I had serious problems eating anything that tasted like read food. The one thing I discovered was my cheats asian soup. This uses packet soups, chicken/veal mince, one egg, crushed chilli, ginger and garlic,  and noodles.  Your whole family will love this.  Trust me.  
    I fed two of us........... so I used.....
    Meatballs:
    500gr veal/chicken mince   (for the meatballs)  
    1/2 teaspoon of garlic and crushed chilies
    3 heaped teaspoons of crushed ginger
    i pkt Cup o Soup Thai Green Curry
    1 egg
    (fresh chopped herbs if you want)
    Form them into balls and put in fridge for 30 mins at the least/

Soup:
    I pkt of Laksa Pkt soup........ we preferred the spicy Laksa soup pkt.  
    A good liter or more of water
    Chopped frozen Chinese vegetables 
    Bring to the boil for 5 minutes and then add the noodles for about 4 minutes.SS

SERVE:

Pour the soup into bowls, and then add the meatballs and any fresh herbs you enjoy.  ENJOY!!!  

• arpie
    edited January 2019
    Ooooh - that sounds positively LOVELY, @Bbryce, Thank You  - I will definitely give that a go (maybe without the chillies tho!!  Neither of us like 'sting ring'!  ;)  

I even have some fresh ginger in the freezer, and garlic!

• arpie

Sounds like a great 'easy' recipe to try - will give it a go, I reckon! Maybe, even today!   

It'd go well with big crusty bread to soak up juices, too YUM!

Image may contain food
    Simple Health & Beauty With Terri

Blow your MIND" Tomato Basil Pasta! - No Straining, just Stirring. (I've gotten many requests to repost this, so here you go!)

*To SAVE this recipe, simply SHARE it to your timeline*

Pasta, Tomatoes, Veggie Broth, Olive Oil, and Seasonings (details below)

Throw it all in the pot, INCLUDING the uncooked Pasta, and cook! - Bring it to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. The starch leaches out of the pasta and makes a rich, warm sauce for the noodles. The other ingredients cook right along with the pasta

Ingredients
    12 ounces pasta (I used Linguine)
    1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes with liquid ( I used zesty red pepper flavor)
    1 large sweet onion, cut in julienne strips
    4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
    1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
    2 large sprigs basil, chopped
    4 1/2 cups vegetable broth (regular broth and NOT low sodium)
    2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    Parmesan cheese for garnish

Directions
    Place pasta, tomatoes, onion, garlic, basil, in a large stock pot. Pour in vegetable broth. Sprinkle on top the pepper flakes and oregano. Drizzle top with oil.

Cover pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to a low simmer and keep covered and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes or so. Cook until almost all liquid has evaporated – I left about an inch of liquid in the bottom of the pot – but you can reduce as desired .

Season to taste with salt and pepper , stirring pasta several times to distribute the liquid in the bottom of the pot. Serve garnished with Parmesan cheese.