What are your easiest, tastiest meals - quick to prepare when you can't think of anything!!

Options

Comments

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    @Romla My husband doesn't like them (his mother boiled them to death) so when he came home from work I got him to taste it without telling him what it was. It needs a bit more salt he said. He liked it and then I told him what it was and he was surprised!

I'm serving it at my parents' 53rd wedding anniversary lunch tomorrow.
  • Kattykit
    Kattykit Member Posts: 252
    Options
    Hey all you single women out there, what do you do when you really need to eat more than Vegemite on toast but have no inclination to spend forever in the kitchen for a meal for one, esp when your energy is at zero.
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    Hi @Kattykit am not single but Continental have pasta/ rice packs that a quick tasty easy meal base - recipes on the Continental website - enough for two days. If you like Laksa Coles have a new home brand one in a pouch just add more noodles/ bean shoots and maybe some cooked chicken.Lots of interesting fresh pasta packs and some pasta sauce. If you are able to lots of interesting meals for one on supermarket shelves these days - some in Indian area , wokka style meals and even in canned fish area . Very big in this family even in winter Coles salad leave bag with capsicum/ tomato and purple onion - my kids not keen on cooked veg.Nice with ravioli etc.The Uncle Bens Fried Rice packs also provide a quick base for a meal just a few extras eg tin prawns , chicken etc.Have you tried the newish Cauliflower soup in a cup a soup is really nice.

Hope this helps a bit - try a slow trawl around the aisles of the supermarket if you’re up to it one day as there’s a lot you could use to make a quick interesting meal.xo

Ps Lots of interesting savoury biscuits around instead of bread - I like cheese twists , and wasabi rice thins.The bakery sections also do nice bread/ rolls - Woolies do a 4 seed which is lovely.
  • Romla
    Options
    For a change from vegemite make some toast and rub a garlic clove on the surface.Mix some chopped tomato , purple onion and dried Italian herb mix with a little olive oil - Called bruschetta and my favourite lunch.
  • Kattykit
    Options
    @Romla thanks, I will go and have a look, I do like the On the menu lasagna. I'm like your kids, not keen on cooked vegetables either, esp peas and carrots, that's what puts me off most frozen meals.
  • Romla
    Options
    No worries  @Kattykit . My neighbor Jude lives alone and she loves the Dr Oetker (?) frozen pizzas in the supermarket)

My kids due to work/study/gym eat often at odd hours - they are dab hands at cheese toasties with random other ingredients in the cafe press and scrambled eggs wrapped in flat bread with sriracha.(trendy very hot chilli sauce)Avocado and cracked pepper on hot toast is a big winner too (- great for cholesterol I’m told)

Another friend is keen on the frozen Herbert Adams pies and stocks up when on special.

If you like Indian the Taste of India black pots are brilliant.

Finally , my husband makes frittata - an Italian pastryless quiche(?) filled with red&green capsicums , purple onions , chopped ham , diced potato finished off in the oven - my favourite - the aroma in the house whilst cooking is wonderful too.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    @KattyKit Not a single but often have different food from the rest of the family as I don't want to carb load at the end of the day. I like the Coles Superfood bowl in the salad leaf section. It's yum and I add either some torn turkey slices or a tin of chilli tuna. Had it last night.

A good tip is to make up some meatballs, chicken, beef, lamb, whatever takes your fancy, add some quinoa to the mix for more protein, and then freeze them in batches of whatever size you'd eat them for a meal. Out of the freezer and into the fridge in the morning & ready to eat in the evening. With salad, in a wrap, chuck them in some soup or passata, with pasta. Delish!

The freezer is your friend when eating for one I reckon. Make big batches of anything & freeze meal size portions.
  • Kattykit
    Options
    I do try when I am feeling well to stock the freezer but this week has been pretty ordinary, thanks for your great ideas.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,577
    Options
    Another neat trick is to go to your local Baker at the end of the day ..... they often pack up the day's 'left over pies' and sell them a bit cheaper.  Hubby LOVED our local Baker's pies when going thru chemo - so I'd buy whatever they had left over & would freeze them for an easy lunch or snack.  You can thaw them at room temp if you think about it far enough in advance (I pop them in the oven or microwave so they are not out in the open) for a lunch treat - tho you CAN actually thaw them in the microwave as well (tho they don't go nice & crispy!)  Always best reheated in the oven after thawing.  YUM!
  • arpie
    Options
    Not a 'meal' - but it is supposed to be 'fool proof' and 'easy' ...... who's got a sweet tooth (or family with one!)

Give it a go & let me know how it goes!

Microwave Fudge.

Ingredients:
    500g icing sugar
    I tin condensed milk
    125ml butter
    5ml vanilla essence

Method:
    Mix everything together except the vanilla essence. Cook in the microwave oven for 14 minutes on high and stir every couple of minutes to make sure it doesn't boil over. Afterwards add the vanilla essence and stir quickly. Pour the mix in a glass dish and cut in cubes before it gets cold. This method will never fail! 
    Enjoy!

• Romla
    Options
    For Laksa fans Coles have a newish Laksa soup in a pouch just add cooked chicken , hokkien noodles and bean shoots and you have a great meal.Been a Laksa fan for 30 years as we had a wonderful old lady from Malacca cooking up a storm locally for years but sadly no longer - Coles product is not a bad alternative as a base.
  • kitkatb
    kitkatb Member Posts: 442
    Options

For something easy I just throw cubed pumpkin, cherry tomatoes, zucchini and Spanish onion wedges, mushrooms and garlic cloves whack it in the oven and just slow roast and forget about it, and if I feel like some chicken will just put a leg quarter on top, or if I feel like pasta just throw some pasta in with the slow roasted veg at the end. YUM   especially as the veg have broken down and make their own juice.

Same as you @arpie love the fishing and eating fish.  Biggest thing I miss at the moment going through this chemo S**T,   Hopefully won't be too long before I get back out chasing some Barra. xox

• arpie
    Options
    That Sounds really YUMMY, @kitkatb  -  I LOVE pumpkin & all the other veg in that one .... so will try it, with the chicken on top too!  ;)     Thank you!

Ooooh .... You catch BARRA??   Drool!!  I've only had 2 goes - once at a Barra farm up at Rockhampton (which was fun!) and on a charter out of Darwin at Corroboree Creek & hooked the biggest one on the boat!  :)  I have yet to catch one on my own - and would love to hook a wild one!!  

Don't forget to whack up some pics when you catch some, to make me totally JEALOUS!!  ;) 

Currently, I've been having fun with BIG Tailor tho ......

It went 60cm & towed me round in my kayak!!

It was turned into a smoked fish pie - quite a few of them, in fact!  ;) 
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,375
    Options
    Gnocchi or ravioli/agnolotti. I cook up some bacon or salami or any of those meats we aren't suppose to have, add some red capsicum, spinach, throw in some wine and leggos stir through sauce (this is the only sort I like). All up it takes less than ten minutes to prepare and cook. Sprinkle smelly cheese on top. Mmmmmm
  • arpie
    Options
    Sounds YUM, @Blossom1961  -  nothing like a QUICK & easy meal as well!!   ;)   thanks for that!