What are your easiest, tastiest meals - quick to prepare when you can't think of anything!!

Options

Comments

• j9k
    j9k Member Posts: 98
    Options
    @arpie thanks for the fishing tip. Hope your hook injury is ok.  :)
  • CarmelS
    CarmelS Member Posts: 268
    Options
    Arpie I use the lemonade scone mix & cook in the camp oven with trivet in the bottom on our gas stove. They come out great. Don't over handle mix & scones touching & I was taught to dab them with fingers dipped in milk. 
    I also do one with melted butter poured into milk & tipped over s/r flour & little bit of sugar...... mix very lightly same as the others.
    Carmel
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    edited June 2018
    Options
    @arpie Your moving out of home recipe was better than mine - a tin of Campbell's chicken soup made up with frozen vegies added into it while it was heating (brussel sprouts, beans, peas)  Good lazy meal for one @zoffiel;)
  • Eastmum
    Eastmum Member Posts: 495
    Options
    Oh wow - you guys ate veges when you moved out! So impressed! As an impoverished uni student living out of home at 20, the priority was to pay the rent, buy a packet of the cheapest cigarettes you could get (Longbeach was $1! Lol) and have a bit left over for a bottle of Lambrusco. Our go to quick meal was - wait for it - three fish fingers layed together to make a square in the bottom of a fry pan with a slice of cheese melted on the top and a fried egg on the top of that! Gross! Hahahahaha 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,586
    Options
    hahaha @Eastmum
    I'd forgotten about the good old fish fingers!!   I used to just fry up 6 or 7 or 8 ..... and only eat THEM!!    LOL .... veges weren't TOO HIGH on my list, unless they were cooked up in the Spag Bog.  I only used to buy in lettuce if I was entertaining (years later) & even then, it would go slimy in the fridge afterwards!  LOL

@Sister
    I was doing my Home Economics Course at the time - so I made sure I ate as many of the ingredients & products that we cooked during the day so I wasn't so hungry at night!!   They didn't know it - but they were subsidising me!  One student's Mum took pity on me & took me to their home every weekend at Newport for  2-3 days of proper meals. (I was also able to indulge in my passion for fishing as well, as they were on the water)   She became my 'adopted Mum' and is gorgeous even to this day. 

I've just remembered another 'easy meal' that would go VERY WELL with the veal eye fillet!! I often do this when we are camping.  It is SO yummy - and all in one frypan!   I would cut up these veggies (no greens!) into cubes:  half a sweet potato, half a potato, a wedge of pumpkin, and 1 onion. Fry them up until browned a little & cooked thru (test with skewer) then add some chopped bacon & mix it thru the veg, cook for a few mins.  Keep moving the veg.  Move the veg to 1 side & add some oil & cook the steak to your desired 'doneness'.  Serve it up!   YUMMMMMY!   (And the veggies even nicer the next day, even cold!)
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Not so quick but being prepared... The last couple of nights I have felt so sick when it comes to prepare tea and last night I couldn't eat it in the end - both times went straight to bed and left everything to everyone else (even with my SIL visiting).  Hoping to beat it this time should it happen again.  Lasagne ready to go in the oven and timing right for the anti-nausea meds.
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    @Sister have you tried nibbling on some Buderim naked ginger or even drinking some hot water with slices of root ginger in it ? It’s supposed to be good for nausea .Only caution I’m aware of is not to have if you take blood thinners or before surgery as it is a blood thinner. 
  • arpie
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I am SO sorry to hear that, @Sister  .... when hubby was feeling really crook from his chemo, I used to make him smoothies with milk, banana, an egg, a bit of custard & vanilla & whizz it all up and he just drank it.  Other times, he just fancied a chicken wrap from KFC!! So off I'd go to KFC!

I hope you can find 'something' that will tempt you tonight .... be it cheese & crackers or ANYTHING!  :(   Take care, my friend xxx

Could it be YOU PREPARING IT that has put you off eating it?  Can't someone else do the cooking just now whilst you are feeling so crook - specially the SIL??  

• arpie
    edited July 2018
    Options
    OK .... so this one isn't that 'quick' to make - but - you get lots of meals out of it!! In the past, I've smoked up to 6 fish and made 6-8 x 1kg Smoked Fish Pies that I've frozen.  Each pie fed at least 3-4 people.

These 2 fish, along with the cheesy sauce, made 4 x 800g Smoked Fish Pies!   YUM!

I kept a couple of fish the other day (one had bitten me, so I figured I would bite it back, so kept it for a feed!  LOL)  I kept a Blackfish/Luderick and the sharp toothed Tailor, which I smoked.

Whilst the fish was still warm, I skinned them & shredded the flesh, making sure I didn't leave any bones in the flesh.  (Get the kids to do this bit!  It can be a bit messy - hence using the tray for the scraps    ;) )

At this point - put on a LARGE pot of potatoes for the mashed potato topping, cook some chopped onions (I did one large one for the 2 fish) and just cooked it in the microwave.  I used a packet of dried peas & reconstituted them in boiling water - use fresh, if you have them. Then start making your thick Cheese Sauce (I add some mustard sauce & curry paste to give it a bit more colour & 'bite'!)  Basic White Sauce:  Melt Butter, add flour, stir, add milk S&P & mix well, cook (stirring) til thickened ..... then add a stack of grated cheese, the onion, fish & peas.

Grab some Alfoil Containers & spoon the mix into it .... leaving space for the mashed potato on top ....

THIS is the BEST potato masher - if you ever see one in the Sallies & Vinnies - grab it!  ;)  

Whack the mashed potato on top - they are now Ready for the freezer or the oven - pop the lids on the ones for the freezer.

Ready to serve:

YUM!!  We had one last night & another one tonight!  :)   I've kept 2 for a meal with our visiting buddy from the UK, who is also a BC and kidney cancer survivor  ;) 

Take care out there, xxxx
  • arpie
    Options
    For over 50 years, I had Vegemite on Toast for breakfast!  I LOVE Vegemite!  However, hubby convinced me that I should have some protein for Breakfast now - so I now have a boiled egg every morning on home made bread/toast!

So ... Instead of having to boil eggs every day (hubby has one as well) we decided to try cooking a pan load in one go - and refrigerate them.  I actually PREFER cold boiled eggs, so long as they are not hard boiled .... as I mash mine up with a fork, add S&P & whack it on my toast!!

Our small pot takes 7 eggs.  I set the timer to 5mins & 15secs.  I boil the water, and put about 1-2" water in the pot.  When it boils again in the pot, I add the eggs (and pour some water out, to make sure the eggs aren't TOTALLY covered - or they cook too much .....) and start the timer.  

When the buzzer goes off - I remove the pot, pour out the water & allow the eggs to cool at room temp for 2hrs & then refrigerate them.  I use a permanent marker to mark the cooked eggs.

I have an antique 'egg topper' that's been in the family for 60+ years & use it every day!  :)

I shove a teaspoon into the middle of the egg & carefully run it around the edge til the whole egg moves within the shell ..... being careful not to dislodge any shell!  I HATE EGGSHELL in my egg mix!  :(   Then I smash it with a fork in a cup, add S&P & whack it on my toast!

SO easy & Yummy too.  If the eggs ARE hard boiled - you can warm the egg up a tad & just add a bit of butter to it to help it 'bind'.

Enjoy!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,959
    Options
    Dear @arpie, Love the potato masher posted above. Takes me back to the 1950's. The paint was worn off the handle of our masher. It lived in the third drawer down with the other big guns. I am going to have fried mushroom and egg for brekky this morning - Saturday morning treat!
  • arpie
    Options
    SOUNDS YUM, @jennyss  - Enjoy!!!   Yep, I LOVE my masher!  Whenever I see one, I grab it & pass it on to friends & family!  It is the BEST! 

Take care xxx

• Romla
    Options
    Now bit of a wild card but used to make this soup years ago - was a Margaret Kirkwood recipe - and as the humble Brussel sprout is in season and on special thought I’d upload it .Nobody ever guessed the main ingredient as does not have the aftertaste most don’t like. PS I am a fan of the much maligned vegetable .

• Romla
    Options
    From memory I used to put in half a teaspoon of curry powder when I was melting the butter.