What are your easiest, tastiest meals - quick to prepare when you can't think of anything!!

Options

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,586
    Options
    Cool, @Romla !  I have some brussels sprouts in the fridge right now!!  The small ones available now are nowhere near as strong flavoured as the 'older bigger ones' - or maybe a different variety?
  • arpie
    Options
    After organising my 'easy meals' for my visiting buddy from the UK (Lamb Shanks, Smoked Fish Pie & Butterflied Roast Chicken) ..... my plans were blown apart when I double checked she ate meat & chicken and the answer was NO!  :(  :(  

SO .... thinking cap on ..... using the bread maker I whipped up some bread dough & did home made pizzas instead ...... YUM   I made 2 this size - the one fed all 3 of us & we had one left over for lunch the next day!   Just Pizza Sauce, then sliced onions, capsicums, celery, mushrooms, olives, anchovies and cheese.  You can add sliced italian sausages as well .... so long as they are not vegans!  ;) 

She LOVED the Smoked Fish pie, too!  :)
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    Now that’s resourceful! Well done you !
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    I'm sure it's better than the brussel sprout and carrot soup they were eating in the recent episode of "Jack Irish".
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Options
    @Romla I’m a huge Brussel sprout fan - ate 10 of them the other night. 
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    I love them too. I'll make that soup today I think! Thanks @Romla. K xix
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    I love them too - usually...all I can taste of my greens now is bitter.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    Brussel sprouts are good. I like them almost any way but here are two options.

Slice them in about 4 slices each, more if they are very large, and sauté them in margerine or butter with a little bacon. 

Havng forgotten to buy cabbage for coleslaw, I improvised with finely shredded Brussel sprouts. Delicious.
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,959
    Options
    Reading this thread is making me hungry! In 2 hours I'll have our Saturday treat breakfast - fried egg and mushrooms on toast.
  • kmakm
    Options
    Ta daaaa! I just made @Romla's brussel sprout soup! It's delicious, and so pretty!

• FYONA1
    FYONA1 Member Posts: 138
    Options
    Hi @Romla and @kmakm
    thats looks delicious can one of you plz pm me the recipe 
    and I also private messaged you @kmakm
  • arpie
    edited July 2018
    Options
    And for a REALLY EASY pizza - just use a Lebanese Bread as the base!  ;)  So it then just takes minutes to prepare them!   Pretty well, whatever you have vege wise can be sliced thinly & put on (except actual fresh tomato - which makes them go soggy.  Dried Tomato is ok, so long as covered with cheese or it can go like a bullet.)

You can also get the family to 'make their own' in case some are particular about what vege goes on their pizza!!  One Lebanese Bread Pizza would easily feed MOST people ...... and would need LESS time in the oven, as the base doesn't need 'cooking' as such - just the topping!  It would still be close to 10 mins on 200+ tho, I reckon for the vege to cook & the cheese melt.

I use a 'Mandolin' for slicing my veges (This one is made by Borner) and they are VERY SHARP .... so promise me to use the 'Food Guard' (it holds the veg in place as you slice it.)  Otherwise you may find a bit of your finger in the mix!  :(  (Been there, done that!)   They come with slicers & dicers!  The Mandolin just makes it SO MUCH QUICKER to do the slicing!  Now, when making vege soup or putting vege into casseroles - I just put the Mandolin over the big saucepan & do them straight into the pot!  ;)   PERFECT for coleslaws etc.  (Doesn't work on mushrooms tho!  :( )

Some make a Scone dough (without the sugar) ..... so maybe using soda water instead of lemonade?  Could be worth a try?

Of course, you can buy 'pre made' pizza bases - and just freeze them til you need them!  ;)     Some even have the 'pizza sauce' already on them, so you can then just add the veges & Cheese.

Just don't OVER FILL the pizza or it WILL go soggy.  A thin layer of 'all bits' & spread them out evenly - make sure you put the ingredients right up to the edge too - (along with the pizza sauce & eventually the cheese) - or you end up with a mouthful of dry, chewy base 

I ALWAYS add a small jar of anchovies to my pizzas as well just before adding the cheese (add more if you REALLY like it!) And after putting the cheese on - I drizzle the left over 'anchovy oil' all over the cheese too, before putting it into a hot oven (200-220) for about 10-15 mins.  

RE: choosing what to put on your pizza ....
    A really good trick is to grab a couple of Pizza Shop 'Menus' and keep them with your other recipes (Domino's, Pizza Hut etc) ..... they list EVERY ingredient on the pizza ..... so you can use the same, or leave out the bits you don't like & replace with others.  

• kmakm
    Options
    @FYONA1 The recipe is on the previous page of this discussion.
  • Romla
    Options
    @kmakm can your family guess the key vegetable ?
  • Romla
    Options
    PS Well done you !!! xo