Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

COVID 19 jab

Options

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,371
    Options
    With you on that one!! 
  • Halla
    Halla Member Posts: 185
    Options
    My grandmother died of COVID in a Melbourne nursing home.  It was horrible because no family could see her, and she was moved out of her familiar surroundings so she was disoriented and confused. She stopped eating because there weren’t enough staff to sit with her and coax her to eat. All the regular staff that she knew went into quarantine, there weren’t enough ring-ins and the few that were there had no idea how to run the place. Each time they needed to go into someone’s room they had to completely change their head-to-toe protective gear, so of course, they didn’t have time to check up on people regularly. So she was just pretty much abandoned. The kicker is when COVID first hit the home she was negative. She tested positive 3 weeks after they implemented all the “safety” rules.  It was a horrible lonely confused and painful way for her to die and a horrible way for her family to suffer without being able to help her at all or say goodbye. It was chaos and that situation could easily and suddenly ramp up again. 

I’m really sceptical about the vaccine too, I think the shock of getting breast cancer makes you feel like you could be in the unlucky minority. But I think I’d better do my bit and have it. Can have Pfizer next year if it ends up being annual. 
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,959
    Options
    Dear @Halla,
    I'm so sorry about your grandmother. My 92yr old father is living at home on his own with the support of a homecare package. So far so good. He and I have both recently had our first Astrazeneca shot; both with no side-effects. I am on my way to stay with him for a week. 
    Best wishes from jennyss in Western NSW
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,375
    Options
    I may not have a choice. I would rather sit on the fence for a while but as I work in the allied health profession we may be forced to have it or change careers. I will sit on the fence for as long as I am allowed.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,576
    edited May 2021
    Options
    An interesting read ...... the stats for clots with the injections are 'per million people' .... so the risk is still very small ... but if you GET Covid - the risks elevate dramatically.

And remember - we'll be getting it every year too - just like the Flu Jab

https://www.manningrivertimes.com.au/story/7237742/vaccine-hesitancy-puts-community-at-risk/?fbclid=IwAR17hPQPAmnPaaAVYNU1HoolWvabvNmhRpLX9j5SVIWLqmgYhnh_4mH2hIY
  • Caz1
    Caz1 Member Posts: 382
    Options
    @Afraser couldn’t agree more.  
    Chances are high  we will be able to have booster shots of other vaccines to help with variants too, such as Pfizer and Moderna down the track too.
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,830
    Options
    @arpie - thanks for that article.  The closer we come to Monday and the more we hear about people getting the clots the more I was becoming hesitant like you as I can't afford to be ill either.  Has this article set your mind at rest at all ?
    I just wish the authorities would tell us what other illnesses those poor people had which made the more likely to get the clots from the AZ jab.  To my knowledge only one person has died ??  Still not wanting to get the clots but would not like to have to be on a ventilator either.  What to do ??  Monday's appointment is fast approaching ....
  • Afraser
    Options
    I believe only one person has died and unfortunately she had a number of other health issues. Two or three others have already been released from hospital, there are varying degrees of concern with clotting (which may also depend on other health issues, don’t know). You’d actually need a much larger sample to realistically assess individual risk related to particular ailments, that research may well have started somewhere in the world but 11 cases doesn’t provide a statistically valid sample. And we don’t really want more! 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,576
    Options
    Has anyone been given a choice as to which one to be given? ie Pfizer instead of Astra?

I believe it is 2-3 months between jabs for Astra, 2 weeks for Pfizer?
  • FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Five new cases have been recorded in Australia in the last week of blood clots. One has died, another is in intensive care. That’s only this week. And only 2 cases of people with covid, both of whom are perfectly fine. 
    When covid first started, it was confirmed that mainly elderly people, especially those that already had other underlying illnesses, were susceptible to it, as well as children and immuno-suppressed people. Others were fine. That’s why it had and still has a 99.98 survival rate. So a lot of people would’ve died from other causes, but it was claimed it was covid, with no real proof. My brother in law told us that his cousin was offered money by the hospital overseas to say cause of death was covid for her dad (his uncle) even though it wasn’t. They refused the money. Many more didn’t refuse the money. The same happened with my great uncle recently. 
    So you can’t really say that ppl getting blood clots are getting them cause they already had other illnesses, if you don’t admit that people were and are only getting covid for the same reasons. This is pure logic. These ppl are always susceptible, to many things. We can’t have a vaccine for every virus that appears, even though we’re perfectly healthy. Especially a vaccine with virtually zero research on it. So we’re healthy, but taking a vaccine that gives us blood clots, then more medicine to rectify that. Why??? After already having gone through all this cancer treatment. We fight to become healthy, only to throw it away potentially for a virus, which let me remind you again, has a 99.98% survival rate. To me this simply doesn’t make sense. Countless very qualified and experienced doctors and professors have confirmed that covid is very survivable, and that the people who are mostly affected by it are the people who’d be affected by anything. Those people need to be careful no matter what, at all times, not just now. Just like us, going through our cancer treatment, we need to be very cautious. We can’t just go out and mingle until our immunity is back up. But we certainly don’t ask everyone to get vaccinated for all viruses out there, to keep us healthy. It doesn’t work like that. We just keep safe until we need to. It’s the same situation now. 
    But just one more time, shrugging off blood clots and death as a side effect, and saying it’s only cause they were sick anyway, is equivalent to saying covid only badly affected people who were also already sick. Which it did. It only affected and affects such people. If we’re frightened cos covid could kill sick ppl, we should be frightened the vaccine could kill sick people. And it is. It has killed many people in nursing homes, and other immuno-compromised people. But they don’t put that in the news 😠. Perspective. It’s the same thing. 

• Afraser
    Options
    @arpie

It’s a 12 week gap between AstraZeneca shots and three weeks for Pfizer. I haven’t heard of anyone in my group (1b, over 70) being offered a choice but it may be for some. My understanding was that Pfizer was being prioritised for at risk persons under 70.