Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

COVID 19 jab

Options

Comments

• FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,536
    Options
    You’ll be fine @June1952, you do know how to look after yourself. And as you said, if you feel any side effects you can report them straight away 👌🏻♥️
  • FLClover
    edited May 2021
    Options
    @BlackWidow it’s true we’ve had to blindly trust our medicos, especially at the beginning when we knew nothing on the subject. In my case specifically, however, I started getting massive anxiety about my surgeon, and my gut was going wild telling me that something was wrong. I didn’t know what, but something. So I researched, gained info and possible reasons as to why, and switched surgeons. Second surgeon confirmed all my suspicions. The more time goes by, the more info I find out about first surgeon and medial stuff in general, the more I know I was absolutely right not to trust him. One of the best decisions of my life, changing him. I feel the same about this vaccine. Every cell in my body is telling me not to take it. Research into that is also steadily proving why I’m right. I’m a massive sook too, and very wary of stuff done to my body. That’s why I believe this decision is best for me. It’s not selfish, if I thought I was a threat to others I’d stay away. I just don’t believe I am. And I don’t believe all this is necessary. 
    But each to their own. I also first and foremost wish well to others. I don’t like seeing anybody suffering. 
    I hope all you ladies are safe, healthy and well, no matter what decisions you make about this vaccine or any other medical matters 🙏🏻♥️
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,584
    Options
    I am hesitant just now to have the jab - as I just can't afford to get ill.  Hubby can't have it as his immunity is compromised whilst he is on chemo - and if I get ill, he would have to go into care as he just can't fend for himself at all - altho he is fine with showering, dressing & general day to day stuff - but not really able to do food, eating & taking of medications (including oral chemo) which is essential as he is diabetic as well.

So I am sitting on the fence for a while ...... plus it hasn't been offered to me by our GP Practice yet, even tho I am nearly 70 & over 50s are supposed to be getting it in NSW!
  • FLClover
    Options
    Trust your instinct @arpie, you’ll know what is best. I hope you’re healthy no matter what cos hubby does really need you, and I know how distressed you’d be if he had to go into care 😕. 
    🍀🍀🍀
    ♥️
  • MicheleR
    MicheleR Member Posts: 343
    Options
    If you are in 1b category but under 50 can you get pfizer?
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    I've always been provax but I must admit to hesitancy with this one.  I don't feel particularly at risk at the moment (but we know that may change at any time).  I've had enough health issues to last me a lifetime and supposedly at over 50 with a weaker immune system I am vulnerable but I'm being expected to have a vaccine with lower efficacy that has been questioned by health experts in other countries.  Not particularly convinced but will discuss it with my oncologist next week, and more than likely join @arpie on the fence for awhile.
  • Halla
    Halla Member Posts: 185
    Options
    @FLClover what was wrong with your first surgeon?
  • FLClover
    Options
    @Halla a lot of things. I’ll have to pm you tomorrow if you want, cos too much to write now. I missed two doses of anti-anxiety meds (which I started taking thanks to him) and been feeling really woozy and heavy headed for past two days. Only just got better, but don’t have a lot of focus 😕
  • Halla
    Halla Member Posts: 185
    Options
    Oh dear! I hope you feel better and sleep well 😴, and yes please feel free to PM me!
  • FLClover
    edited May 2021
    Options
    @Halla my GP faxed the scripts to my chemist this afternoon and I finally took it again, feeling a bit better now. I could hardly walk, I felt so unbalanced. And also nauseous. I had no idea a missed dose could have that much effect!! 😳😳. I’ll write you a private message tomorrow briefly explaining everything about him, but you can check some of my other posts if you have time and patience, I’ve discussed it here many times!! 😆. He really impacted me in a negative way
  • FLClover
    Options
    @Sister this is my concern as well. I’m not anti-vax either. I’m vaccinated against other things and my daughter is also vaccinated as she should be. I am anti anything that hasn’t been researched well enough, and we have no idea about what’s in it, the side effects and possible reactions. Actually we do have some idea of side effects; blood clots being one, and death another. And as you said, there are so many medical professionals around the world coming out and saying to ban it, because it’s not safe or necessary. They are risking having their licence revoked just to warn the public of its dangers. That’s gotta mean something. To me anyway. I don’t trust it, so I won’t have it. I don’t mind if others do (well actually I do mind cos I want them to be ok, but that’s not under my control), I just don’t want people telling me I have to have it, especially to keep my rights and freedom. Vaccine passports and that kind of control and stupidity. It doesn’t fly with me. But if people want to have it, go ahead 👌🏻👌🏻. Their body, their choice completely 🤷🏼‍♀️.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    @FLClover

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but the AstraZeneca vaccine has gone through all the testing and approvals that are required for any vaccine in Australia. Same ones that the Pfizer vaccine has had too. Denmark is not using AstraZeneca for the simple reason that they have a small population, have already vaccinated a large number of their population and have adequate supplies of two other vaccines. If we were in the same happy position, we would probably do the same even though the risk of clotting is still extremely small (and the risk of death even smaller). But as we won’t be able to vaccinate all those who want to be vaccinated for almost another eight months, and the virus is still around, the AstraZeneca vaccine is an immediate form of protection. 
  • FLClover
    Options
    @Afraser from that point of view I understand. I know where you’re coming from. But I was fighting my first surgeon for 2 months because he wanted to use GA for a very small procedure. GA has been used for years, and has changed so much since first being introduced, that’s it now so safe to use. However, it’s still not without risks. They may be rare, but they’re there, and they’re scary. So if it’s not necessary and there’s another way, I’d rather do that. 
    This vaccine has been around less than a year. They all have. So if I have trust issues with GA after so many years of progress and advances, you can imagine how I feel about these vaccines. I just don’t trust them at all. I also don’t trust the media. Any flu, and whatever this covid is, is not fun at all. But it mostly affects the elderly and immuno-suppressed. So many accredited people have come out to say they had it and it went, without any real repercussions. The survival rate has already been proven to 99.98, or close to that. Elderly and immuno-suppressed people will always be at threat unfortunately, from many things. We can’t have vaccinations for everything. That’s why if I’m around those people I am cautious just like I’d always be. I keep my distance, and if I feel unwell I completely stay away. But I don’t see the need to vaccinate, for myself.  And there’s more reasons, but I won’t go into that here and now. 
    When I’m unwell, I stay at home and isolate for everyone’s benefit. I always have. But I don’t want to have to vaccine against my will, especially for something that has a much higher survival rate than cancer itself, and I didn’t even have chemo for same reasons. But as I said, if others want to have the vax, no problem at all. They can choose what to do with their body. 
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    @FLClover

What you say about incidence is largely true for Australia. We have been very lucky. It is not true for the US, or the UK or India with significant death tolls and a much younger demographic affected. But there has never been any suggestion of people being vaccinated against their will. I agree that there may be some preference for proof of vaccination for some activities, mainly commercial ones, just as commercial supermarkets are entitled to require the wearing of masks by customers. But we’ll see. What we all hope for is that this virus will be sufficiently eliminated to push it back to the risk level we experience with seasonal flu. Possibly more so for those who choose not to be vaccinated. 
  • FLClover
    Options
    @Afraser I just wish viruses, flus, cancer etc didn’t exist at all. That’s my biggest wish. I’m a hypochondriac. It’ll never happen, I know 😩🤷🏼‍♀️. I do hope this covid will reach seasonal flu status soon 🤞🤞