Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

COVID 19 jab

Options

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,371
    Options
    @Romla
    Not impressed by the PM tonight on the 7.30 report. Apparently no rush for vaccination rollout unless we have people dying in the streets. Tell that to the tourism industry, University sector or those longing to be reunited with loved ones (173 minors in India alone). We are producing vaccine here, should have a better deal with Pfizer and the nonsense about working with doctors is particularly galling. GPs have been begging to be more involved then begging for more vaccines. I’ve had one jab, am way past chemo and wasn’t on a Craigieburn train last Friday. But I feel for those not in that position! 
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    Yes agree @Afraser. Easy for our PM to be complacent he had Pfizer vaccine back in March.

Am also concerned as AZ only 10% effective against South African strain of covid and this strain is now causing havoc in our near neighbour Indonesia. Pfizer is 70% effective against this strain.
    https://www.michaelwest.com.au/astra-zeneca-vaccine-not-effective-against-new-covid-strains-as-african-variant-spreads-to-indonesia/

• Afraser
    Options
    @Romla
    Well, if Moderna enters the field soon, things will look up! 
  • Romla
    Options
    Will be keen to learn of its efficacy esp against variants as haven’t heard much of its uptake.@ Afraser
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,830
    Options
    As we are frequently told, like in cancer treatments, we are all different - and therefore we all react to things in different ways.
    Who knows, the AZ vaccine may be well taken up by our little bodies and may turn out to be the best choice, this is very much a guessing game.  Other vaccines may not perform as well in some people. 
    We just have to be grateful that our strong leadership has done as much as they can to prevent Australia being hit badly like the USA, UK etc and that we do have access to some vaccines and sooner rather than later. 
    Just think, it is all being provided free of charge so everyone has access.
    What will be will be and as that is really out of our personal control (unless we stay locked in our homes) and I for one am grateful for what I have been provided.
  • Afraser
    Options
    @Romla
    A friend has had Moderna in Canada - I think it’s pretty good. 

@June1952
    I ‘m very glad I am here but being an island/continent has been a significant benefit. I think state Premiers were wise to take control (Melbourne’s second wave notwithstanding) as the federal government is not performing as well as one might hope in getting a schedule for all vaccinations in a timely manner. 

• June1952
    Options
    There are always State vs Commonwealth issues and indeed the vaccination rollout has been less than ideal but I wonder how many of us would like to walk a week in their shoes.  I am no being political, just recognising the difficult task they have had in trying to do the best for all.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    the Federal Govt response with Covid (as with other things) has been so poor it would be laughable if it wasn't so serious.  And it is not a Labor vs Liberal statement as there have been Lib State Govts who have met the challenge.  I don't think anyone in leadership has had it easy but our current PM and friends have taken on the mantle and should be leading.  They are so far out of touch they might be in a different reality and this has been the case for every major issue that this govt has faced.  Now I worry that we are being warmongered as a distraction.  But I digress from Covid.
  • June1952
    Options
    Yes, COVID and the effect on us BC ladies is the main issue
    Let's stay away from the politics.
    The post title is COVID 19.
  • Romla
    Options
    Unfortunately our current covid 19 situation is inextricably linked to failure of federal government to act expeditiously as well as spread risk by contracting vaccines widely in the event of problems with any one vaccine given the acknowledged short time frame of their development. They had the opportunity for Pfizer in July 2020 and failed to place an order until November 2020 when it was clear Astra Zeneca had several issues . Other countries stepped up to place orders and we lost timely  product delivery.

• Afraser
    Options
    I was pleased to see several letters in the paper today about people not wearing masks on public transport. Trains and teams are very clearly carrying signs! I had hoped that COVID would encourage mask wearing in all cases of transmissible illness, including colds and flu, to the benefit of everyone including those whose immunity is compromised, either temporarily or permanently. But large numbers can’t be bothered. A few fines might improve matters. 
  • Afraser
    Options
    Sorry, trams not teams!
  • BlackWidow
    BlackWidow Member Posts: 268
    Options
    I have been out today, wearing a mask as I feel it is somewhat safer knowing how this virus can move quickly BUT the number of people not using the QR codes is so annoying, I thought it was compulsory for businesses to have them ???
  • Afraser
    Options
    In Victoria it is, but there are different apps and some work better than others. By the end of May, they all have to be on the Government app. Biggest failing is people not using them at all, so now businesses will
    have to check that they do. 
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    While I understand the desire to stay away from politics, this is political although not necessarily party aligned.