What are your easiest, tastiest meals - quick to prepare when you can't think of anything!!

Options

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,589
    Options
    Ooooh - that sounds like an easy meal there, thanks @AllyJay!!   YUM!  I love my buttered cabbage, too!!  hahaha for the 'afters' tho!  LOL.  Dutch Ovens, eh?

Hubby LOVES his Rusks from his South African days!  He was raised in a boarding school/orphanage in Rhodesia from age 10, then went to South Africa in his 20s, to compete as an athlete - he represented Sth Africa in the Cross Country World Champs one year in the 60s - was leading the Comrades by 1/2hr (beating the record at the time) when he was run off the road by a bus (back then, the road was still open to traffic & it was a dirt road!) and he twisted his ankle & had to pull out with 5k to go.  :(  The Comrades book says he went out too hard & paid for it, but that wasn't the correct story!  His twin brother was the 'first Novice' the following year.  His life would have changed overnight if he'd won it outright as a novice! 

He still raves about the Rusks!!  Aldi has them now & then but they are so dry & hard - I am scared they'll break his teeth!!   Are they always that hard??

• SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    dunk them in tea ..... 

• AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 945
    Options
    @arpie...They have to be dunked as SoldierCrab says. Generally in coffee, but also tea and rooibos tea. There's an art to how deep in the drink they are dipped...too far down the rusk and so either it will fall off into the cup, or more often, land in your lap as you lift it from the cup, then turn it horizontal to put into your mouth. Just dip enough and for long enough to soften to a lovely squishy texture and they are yummy. When my kids were little, I sometimes used to put two in a bowl and cover with hot milk and a bit of brown sugar. It made a quick hot porridge which they both loved. Great story about the Comrades run. i remember there was always debate whether the up run was better than the down run. Going up you had Field's Hill to slog up, but running down was a killer on the joints with the jarring of running downhill.
  • arpie
    Options
    Thanks @SoldierCrab and @AllyJay ... but he likes them crisp!  :(   Yes, I think he thought his brother had it ‘easier’ the next year as it was the ‘down’ run for him!  It was his major regret in life that he didn’t finish. These days, everyone has helpers on the road and he probably would have been given a massage or bandaged up ... back then, there was just no ‘back up’ :( 
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Going through old mags and found this

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options

Can buy crepes in the fridge at Aldi
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    Chicken and mushroom crepes - the best use of chicken leftovers! Possibly with less stock powder and cornflour though.......
  • arpie
    Options
    Ooooh, thank you @iserbrown I LOVE ratatouille!  Haven't made it for a while!!  And I LOVE meatballs ......

In my cupboard 'somewhere' I have almost a complete set of the NSW Gas Company's set of Recipes from the 1970s - could be worth looking at again!!  ..... I used to work there & even did cooking demonstrations at the Burwood Branch in Sydney!  What a hoot they were!!

Here's a nice sounding Chicken recipe for Air Fryer ..... I hope to try it soon - sounds YUM!!

Mediterranean Air Fryer Chicken Ingredients

• 4 chicken quarters bone-in skin on
    • juice of a lemon or 2 tablespoons vinegar
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • freshly cracked black pepper to taste
    • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
    • 1 tablespoon ground coriander
    • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
    • 1 tablespoon sumac (optional - gives good colour)
    • 1 tablespoon granulated/powdered garlic or a teaspoon of freshly grated garlic
    • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, (optional)
    • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour

Instructions

Wash the chicken quarters and pat them completely dry.

Cut 3-4 slits into the chicken and place them in a tray.

Drizzle with lemon juice or vinegar and toss to coat.

Season the chicken with salt, herbs and spices and then with the flour.

Toss the chicken together.

Place the seasoned chicken quarters in the air fryer basket and set the temperature to 400 °F.

Cook for 20 minutes then, flip the chicken and cook for 8 minutes more until crispy.

Serve with salad and tzatziki. Enjoy!

• arpie
    Options
    This one sounds interesting ....

Ingredients
    • 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour 
    • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted and cooled
    • 3/4 cup sugar
    • 3/4 cup vanilla yogurt
    • 2 eggs beaten
    • 3 very ripe bananas mashed well
    • 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    • 1 cup diced strawberries 

Instructions

• Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9 by 5 inch bread pan with cooking spray.
    • In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
    • In a large bowl whisk together the butter and sugar. Then whisk in the yogurt, eggs, bananas, and vanilla.
    • Gently add the flour mixture to the liquid ingredients, folding them together until just combined. 
    • Be careful not to over mix.
    • Gently stir in the strawberries. The batter will be very thick.
    • Pour the batter into the bread pan and bake for 60 to 65 minutes (mine took 63 minutes) or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the bread comes out clean or with a few crumbs.
    • Let the bread cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Remove and transfer to a cooling rack for an hour before slicing.
    • Because of the fresh strawberries, this recipe won't last as long as a traditional banana bread. 

• You want to store this in an air tight clear container and eat within two to three days.

• arpie
    Options
    ooooh - I bought some Golden Mayan Potatoes last week on special (never having tried them before) and they were GLORIOUS in the air fryer!!   Quite a crumbly texture - but that lovely 'old fashioned' potato flavour!

If you spot them, give them a go!!  ;) 
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,279
    Options
    Latest quick meal is a pork chop with Coles Asian Salad. The salad is $5 and we look for chops on special  picked up a park of 4 for $7 this week so froze 2 chops for another day.  

We had a fire in our firepit the other night so we cooked jacket potatoes in foil in the pit and then served it with some taco mince on top with a bit of smashed avocado. A bit of butter on the potato made it all pretty yummy. 
  • Ber
    Ber Member Posts: 3
    Options
    When I can't think of what to cook, I go to the blog https://how-to-boil.com/ , and there I look at the recipes. Here, for example, I made turkey cupcakes according to the recipe in this blog. It turned out to be unrealistically delicious!
  • arpie
    Options
    Here's a lovely dessert I made last night .... that went down a treat with our friends - our first 'social outing' in MANY months!  I took 2 - and there was not a crumb left, amongst 9 people!!

Just make sure you use a guaranteed 'non stick' baking paper (or silicon mat) .... on a tray with turned up edges, so that the jam mix can't run off, into your oven!  ;)  (I had a massive fail on both counts!)

I also only cut one into 12 pieces, as the 16 piece one looked a tad 'stingy' on the serving size!!

I upped the temperature to 220 and cooked it for not quite as long .... just keep an eye on it tho! 

Twisted Blueberry Tart

• arpie
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Dessert time ..... a lovely easy Apple Slice recipe from @Annie C

I'll be grabbing some apples & trying this one, for sure!!!

• arpie
    Options
    ooooh ... this one looks like a winner - I may need to get some Uncle Ben's Rice, Mushroom & celery Soup!!  ;) 

Serve with a big salad & crunchy bread, I reckon!!