What are your easiest, tastiest meals - quick to prepare when you can't think of anything!!

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    Just went & tried to buy the Uncle Ben's Wild Rice (Box) and our local stores only stock the precooked rices!! 

This is what it is 'supposed' to be ..... a 6oz box .... 

So here is a 'copycat' of what the rice supposedly 'looks like' ..... tho I couldn't see any 'wild rice' on the shelf either!  :( 

• jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,950
    I'll try this - I love one pot meals
  • arpie
    edited November 2021
    Me too!!!  @jennyss.  Let me know if you find the 'original' Rice in a box, not pre-cooked!   EVERYTHING in our supermarkets is just pre-cooked satchels! :(  It has to be 'raw' - tho the 'fake recipe' - SHOULD work ......
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,101
    One of my favourite tasty comfort food  meals is pepper steak ( eye fillet or scotch fillet) with a sauce of green peppercorns , brandy and cream and mashed potatoes, sweet potato and greens.
    If I close my eyes I could be in France…
    It’s a semi special occasion comfort food though.
  • Keeping_positive1
    Keeping_positive1 Member Posts: 555
    @Julez1958 oh yum!  Scotch fillet, my all time favourite piece of red meat, glad you reminded me, going to indulge myself this week for no particular special occasion, but just because I am special!  :)

• Keeping_positive1
    Keeping_positive1 Member Posts: 555
    @arpie I have a recipe / household tips book with lots of scratch recipes and mixes eg french onion soup, rice-a-riso, and other ones.  I will dig it out soon and put some mixes up here for everyone. :)

• arpie
    Not sure if it is 'easy' as such - but could be fun, making it with the kids/grandkids ....

This would be great for Christmas Dinners. It looks very easy to do too. Share so you can have it on your timeline for next month.
    Golden Delicious Santa Bread!
    Ingredients:
    4 to 4-1/2 cups bread flour
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
    1-1/2 teaspoons salt
    1/2 cup milk
    1/4 cup water
    1/4 cup butter, cubed
    2 eggs
    2 raisins
    2 egg yolks
    2 to 3 drops red food colouring
    **Quick Tip: Instead of stirring up homemade dough, start with 2 loaves of purchased frozen bread dough and turn them onto a lightly floured surface. Take a small portion of one loaf and add it to the other loaf, making it slightly larger. Then begin shaping the Santa with the dough following the previous instructions.**

• arpie
    SUPER easy Chicken Soup (or thicken it = Chicken Casserole ....)

A buddy has brought us a couple of lots of this lovely chicken soup, as hubby hasn't been eating much recently .... and something cooked by someone else, ALWAYS WORKS!

6 Chicken Drumsticks (skin removed)
    1 x 400g pack of precut vege (or do your own - (celery, onion, carrots, parsnips, broccoli, cauliflower, potato - whatever you've got, really etc)
    1 x packet of Chicken Noodle Soup (you may need to add a tad more water to cover the chicken & veg)
    S&P if needed - but check first as the soup is already a bit salty.

Simmer away until the meat falls from the bones.   Remove 'scum' as it surfaces ... 
    Remove the bones. 
    Break the chicken up into quite small bits
    Serve with crusty bread (or thicken it & make it into a casserole & serve with salad & bread.)

Enjoy
  • arpie
    Oooh .... I cooked up a lovely batch of chicken soup last night & Hubby wolfed some down for dinner!   SO EASY - set & forget!

The Woollies Veg Pack is called Simmer Veg - it will give him at least 4-5 feeds .... and will be a staple part of his meals from now on!  

I added the 4 cups of water (as indicated on the pack) but if not doing a BIG soup - just add enough water to cover the veg & chicken.  S&P is not really needed - unless you taste it & think it does, as the chicken noodle soup should be 'salty enough'.

Definitely - add this one to your 'fav recipes'!
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    Spicy Apple and Oat Slice recipe | Australia's Best Recipes

This always goes down well in our household
  • arpie
    oooh - that looks lovely, @iserbrown !!  And oats are good 'fibre' ..... I may try it on Hubby!  ;) 
  • arpie
    edited January 2022
    Ooooh .... I did chicken drummies for the first time, in the air fryer last night - and talk about TENDER!!!   MUCH nicer than in the oven!! 

I made up the powder from dried onion pieces, smoked paprika, garlic powder, some italian herbs & oil as in the recipe & whizzed up the dry ingredients in a coffee grinder ...  (other flavour suggestions are there too.) 

20-25 mins in the airfryer for 4 drummies, then I left them in the oven at 150˚ whilst I did the sweet potato & potato chippies in the airfryer (about 20 mins) and OMG - the chicken was unbelievably tender.  Give them a go!! 

If you haven't got an airfryer yet .. GET ONE!!

(I got mine from a local community group for $20 just to 'test it' - and am loving it!) 

• June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,818
    The easiest thing is leftovers !  Anything popped on a plate and made to look as 'pretty' as possible.  Tonight we have a salad platter using my uneaten (ignored) dinner from last night - BBQ.  Put baby spinach on the plate, added tomato and cucumber then the sliced spuds, cauliflower, asparagus and I finely sliced the steak.  Looks good !  An easy meal !
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    Here's a quick easy slice - spice to your own taste

https://vjcooks.com/easy-apple-slice/

• arpie
    Thank you for that @iserbrown That looks SO easy to make, and good for either pudding OR afternoon tea snack!  Damn!  Just back from shopping and I forgot to put the tin of apple on the shopping list!  Will do so NOW for the next outing! ;)