What are your easiest, tastiest meals - quick to prepare when you can't think of anything!!

Options

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,584
    Options
    Who likes slow cooker recipes?  Check this out

.... they also have 'freezer dump bags' where you whack all the raw ingredients in a plastic bag - and freeze them .... they take up less space as they are flat ....  good for travelling ..... and cook them up on the road whilst you are travelling - ready for dinner!

Or just make a bunch up & freeze them at home - and chuck one in the slow cooker in the morning - no need to chop stuff up!

A lot of these recipes would work just fine in the oven too .....

https://slowcookertip.com/

https://slowcookertip.com/freezer-dump-bags/
  • arpie
    Options
    A really EASY and YUMMY contribution to any Xmas gathering (or any time in the year, really!)

I saw this a couple of weeks ago at an October BC Fund Raiser ... and thought it would be too sweet - but it was SCRUMMY!  The strawberries are actually quite 'tart' compared to the sweetness of the marshmallow - so wasn't as sweet as I thought they'd be!

And they look TERRIFIC!!

A 500g punnet of strawberries (choose 'smaller' strawberries so they fit the size of the Marshmallows!) and a packet of pink & white marshmallows will make between 10-15, depending on how thinly you slice the strawberries (mine were thickish)  ....  Keep the 'pointy bit' to 'crown' the pointy end of the skewers!

I did 4 x strawberry slices & 4 x marshmallows

Nicely presented ..... 

ENJOY
  • Hendrix
    Hendrix Member Posts: 324
    Options
    Wow! Great recipes...this is my go to and its great for the warmer months brown bulgur salad
    1 cup cooked brown bulgur
    1/4 cup chickpeas
    1 small tomato 
    1/2 cup chopped cucumber 
    1/4 cup red onion
    1/2 cup fetta
    1/4 cup chopped pistachios
    parsley
    drizzle with olive oil, lemon juice..salt...toss and eat delish!! You can add what you like

• arpie
    Options
    EASY scone recipe with Cream and Lemonade .... made by a 92 year old CWA member ....  BRILLIANT

https://www.facebook.com/ABCRural/videos/561556208091477
  • arpie
    Options
    Ooooh - some time ago @iserbrown put a link up for cooking WHOLE potatoes in an Airfryer .... but the link didn't work - but I've FOUND IT! (see below)  :)   The Taties look SCRUMMY too.

Give it go - it actually shows a Ninja Airfryer (2 drawer) that my buddy in Batemans Bay uses - it is terrific!! 
    You can cook your meat/chicken in one drawer & vegs in the other - it can even 'schedule' the time the 2nd drawer starts to cook - so both finish cooking at the same time! ....... 
    Ninja Dual Drawer is about $250 at Amazon.com.au .... (I have the single drawer Ninja & love it!)

https://news.****/made-baked-potato-air-fryer-134400457.html
  • arpie
    Options
    Weird - for some reason the 'yahoo . com'  was **** out in the link above ......  (remove the spaces - and replace the '%2A%2A%2A%2A' with the 'yahoo' bit that should be in the link, if you clicked on it.)

I've done it as a PDF as well .... so you can read it below - but obviously you can't watch the video unless going to the link above.  good luck!

• arpie
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Having fun with the air fryer ... I did a nice batch of roast capsicum strip's.... just remove the seeds and slice (wide strips)  ... I did about 3-4 capsicums. 

Place them in the air fryer and spray lightly with olive oil.

200 degrees for 7 mins .. check them, give them a shake if you like. Then another 7 mins and they should be 'done' ... 

It is much quicker than in the oven, for the same result.   ENJOY

• Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Hi I don’t have a photo but my “ go to” dish is classic roast chicken - we had it tonight.
    I buy an organic chicken and stuff it with  a breadcrumb mix of fried onions and zucchini , breadcrumbs and mixed herbs plus an egg.
    I do baked  vegetables in the baking dish ( potatoes, sweet potato and beetroot) and steamed green veggies.
    I make the gravy in the baking dish after removing the chicken and resting it upside down under Alfoil for 10 minutes with some flour and water and a splash of wine ( either Chardonnay or Pinot noir).
    Next time I’ll post the photo .
  • arpie
    Options
    YUM - Roast Chicken has to be my alltime FAVOURITE ..... what time is dinner?? ;) 

I just made another lot of Roast Capsicum strips - in the fridge cooling down now xx. YUM!!!  It is the only way I'll eat Capsicum!!  Great as a side on ANY meal!
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,830
    Options
    They are even better if you blacken them on a BBQ and then peel them.  Delicious.  When we have a BBQ a few get thrown on !
  • arpie
    Options
    Now THIS one looks great for a cold winter's night (you could do it in a camp oven when out camping too!)

Potato & Meatballs in Bechamel Sauce with cheese topping! 

Before & after pics .... a good one for the kids to cook, I reckon!

INGREDIENTS

For the Bechamel Sauce

• 2.5 oz of Butter
    • A quarter cup of plain flour
    • 4 cups of milk
    • 2 tsp of salt or according to your liking
    • Half a teaspoon of Nutmeg

For Potatoes & Meatballs

• 3 Potatoes
    • 1 medium-sized Onion - diced finely
    • 500 g Beef Mince
    • Chopped Parsley
    • 1 tsp of Paprika Powder
    • 4.5 oz of Mozzarella Cheese
    • Salt and Pepper for seasoning

INSTRUCTIONS

How to make the Bechamel Sauce?

• You will start by making a well-blended bechamel sauce that will be used later.
    • First, you need to take a saucepan and keep it over medium to low heat and melt the butter.
    • Add the flour and stir it with the butter.
    • Keep mixing the flour and butter until it gets smooth and changes its colour to light golden.
    • You can take another pan for boiling the milk.
    • As soon as your milk is boiled, start adding it gradually to the butter and mix it. You must stir constantly to make sure that the mixture is smooth.
    • Now increase the flame and let the mixture absorb the milk. 
    • You can cook for around 10 minutes and then reduce the heat.
    • For seasoning your sauce, add nutmeg or salt to give the perfect balancing taste.

How to make potatoes and meatballs:

• First, preheat the oven at 400 degrees before you put the potatoes and meatballs to cook.
    • Now, take a large bowl, add meat, onion, parsley, paprika, salt, and pepper. You can even try some other seasonings if you like them in your meatballs. (Mixed Herbs could be nice!)
    • Mix the ingredients to make a perfect mixture.
    • Peel 3 potatoes and boil them for 5 to 7 minutes until they are semi-soft. Now, take a knife and slice them in rounds.
    • Take a square or round dish, spray with oil, and put the slices of boiled potatoes in it.
    • You can add the potatoes on the side and the bottom.
    • After that prepare your meatballs from the mixture. You can either take an ice cream scoop spoon for help or prepare them with your hands.
    • Now, add those meatballs to the potatoes in the dish.
      To fill the gaps between the meatballs add potatoes on the sides of them.
    • Now, add your delicious bechamel sauce on the meatballs and potatoes until the dish is half-full.
    • Now, add a thin layer of cheese above the sauce.
    • Finally, put the dish in the oven and let it cook for 15 minutes.
    • Your wonderful and tasty dish is ready and you will definitely fall in love with it.

Hmmmm - I think I'd leave it in for a tad longer than 15 mins (even tho the potatoes are already half cooked & the bechamel sauce is still hot)  .... that doesn't really sound long enough for the meatballs, as they are quite large! 

Let me know how you go when you make it - and how long you left it in for?
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
  • arpie
    edited July 2023
    Options
    I'll be trying that one, @iserbrown!! :). It looks like it would be great when camping too ..... if in a powered spot, possibly in the good old electric frypan with lid on, low temp?  Or even in a camp oven away from the main flame, not too hot?

• Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I don’t have a formal recipe for this but a “standby “ I have is Vietnamese noodles simmered in boiling water with chicken wings marinated in honey and soy sauce and roasted in the oven (160 degrees) and I mix in some steamed finely chopped carrot and zucchini .

• arpie
    Options
    ooooh - this one sounds fun .... easy to do the thin slices if you have a Mandolin slicer .... I reckon the air fryer would work a treat too!!  :)