Here Goes

Options

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,600
    Options
    I think the main thing re driving yourself there & back (apart from insurance) - could be not just 'concentrating enough', possibly causing accidents with innocent people.  

I know that that was one of the main factors for me not driving daily to my radiation appointments in Port Mac (about 1.5hrs each way.)  My husband has moderate/severe dementia & no way would I allow him to drive those distances now - & I wasn't sure my own mental state would be 'good enough, concentration wise' - so opted to stay up there instead and only come home on the weekends.

Definitely try & line someone up to take you & bring you back if you can - then there is so much less stress on yourself, too. xx
  • onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Options
    Hi there @TabooGal. You’ve had such great advice from all the crew on here and it’s so reassuring isn’t it that once you get started with your trestment you know you are kicking bc in the balls. It’s the waiting isn’t it that’s the worst. I was pretty bent on the phenergan after my chemo so I had my hubby drive me to and from. I had 4 rounds of Ac chemo two weeks apart and 4 rounds of taxol 4 weeks apart. I had triple neg stage 2a grade 3 (3cm tumor) 8 lymph nodes Taken but they were all clear along with my scans. There are lots thst keep working through treatment and I hope you can too. I stopped as I’m a nurse and it was peak winter when I was having chemo so I didn’t want to catch any cooties that would delay my trestment. Glad you’ve had your flu shot too that will help. We are all here holding your hand lovely. Big hug. Margie xx 
  • kitkatb
    kitkatb Member Posts: 442
    Options
    Hi @TabooGal  Hope all goes well for you and will be thinking  of you.   I will not be to far behind with my first chemo.  Had my second surgery and went back to be told I now need a third surgery but will be having my chemo first before I face that one.  I have the same feelings as with you,some day's I just want to get under the doona and hide.  Life is just one big emotional rollercoaster. I totally agree with @onemargie about avoiding work this time of year, would hate to get a cold or flu  going through chemo.  I haven't had dates yet but will probably start within the next 3 weeks or so.  I was really lucky that my work as part of the EBA covers income protection for us.  I couldn't even imagine trying to get through without that.   Let me know how you go.  I get the gist from some of these beautiful people here that when we overthink all the worst scenarios of how we might feel and cope with first chemo it might come as a surprise that we can really get through this.  Here's hoping.  hugs  xox
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    The most dangerous place for infection is a doctor's office. Park as close as possible, walk in and register, give them your mobile number and then go and wait in your car. They can call you when they are ready for you.
    Some doctors door bitches do not like this option. Lean on the desk, ask them what the issue is, pull a cat's bum face when they reply and offer them a breath mint. Works every single time.
  • AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 946
    Options
    Exactly @Zoffiel,  don't touch their chair arms or their magazines. Every Dick, Tom and Harry with a snotty nose, herpes cold  sores or F**k knows what has either wiped their nose. or worse, licked their finger  then turned the page on these items, You then, poor sucker, arrive, lick your finger then turn that same cootie laden page and Ring - a - ding -ding...get sick.  My go to  technique is to wear a jacket with two bloody big pockets, and keep my hands in them so as not to touch all this bug soup in the waiting room.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Funny thing is, my GPs back this approach wholeheartedly, it's just some of the reception staff that seem a bit flummoxed by it.  But it does make it easier to be able to say "Dr X said I should wait outside until I'm called".
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TabooGal
    TabooGal Member Posts: 146
    Options
    First infusion down. Lovely friends dropped me off and collected me. So glad I did that and thanks for all of your advice. I was a little light headed after and now feel like I've had a couple of those special cookies! The chemo room will be taking my blood tests cos Dorevitch nurses aren't trained to access ports. Drinking heaps of water! Such a lot of different nausea medication for the next couple of days. 1 down, 3 to go!
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Well done!!
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,600
    Options
    Go Girl ..... you can do this.  That was Great that your buddies dropped you off & picked you up - one less thing to worry about.  (Particularly Parking!  Have you EVER tried to find a car park at Port Macquarie Base Hospital?  It is almost IMPOSSIBLE!)

Yep, the water helps flush it out  of the system - hope the light headedness passes ..... haha - how do YOU KNOW about the 'feeling' from those 'special cookies'???   Dobbed yourself in there!   ;)  

All the best for your bloods and continuing treatment xx
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Good on ya @TabooGal Look after yourself.
  • TabooGal
    Options
    @arpie Doh! I did didn't I! @kmakm feels good getting that out of the way. Just waiting for s/e's to kick in
    @Sister thank you. Will see how I feel in the morning and maybe go to work for a couple of hours
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Options
    @TabooGal. Congrats on getting the first one over with - look after yourself xoxo
  • Finch
    Finch Member Posts: 302
    Options
    I drank 2 1/2 - 3 litres a day @TabooGal. I think it was the best thing I did to elleviate side effects and certainly helped with constipation. 
    All the best and take care Xx 
  • TabooGal
    Options
    @Finch I love my water. Have diet cordial in case I get metal mouth. Thank you for your well wishes.