Here Goes

Options

Comments

• Eastmum
    Eastmum Member Posts: 495
    Options
    Glad to hear it @TabooGal - you're so lucky you can sleep it off! 
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    So good to hear @TabooGal. If you can, go for a walk, even if it's just for 15 minutes. It will help with the side effects. Try not to anticipate too much, we're all different!   :)  K xox
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    It's hard to predict @taboogal - everyone reacts a bit differently.  I've suffered from nausea, indigestion and reflux, and sever fatigue throughout chemo, both on AC and taxol.  AC has become a bit of a distant memory but as long as I kept the drugs up, I wasn't too bad (the first one when I didn't have strong meds for the early days was a living nightmare).  I ended up with Ativan for nausea (and Somac for the indigestion and reflux (which has now been changed to Nexium).  The Ativan is an anti-anxiety drug but also works for nausea and to be perfectly honest, the anti-anxiety bit has not been a problem!  The drawback is that you can't take it if you have to drive or anything like that.  I found that with AC, Day 1 wasn't too bad but the downward descent would happen during Day 2.  Days 3 & 4 were best spent sleeping and I would probably lose most of the day.  By Day 5, I was usually able to manage short walks and Day 7, I was pretty much as good as I would get - most of my energy in the morning but crashing and burning during the day - and terrible if I overdid it.  I was managing 5km walks each morning in my good weeks, up until the last AC when shortness of breath became a factor.
  • onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Options
    @TabooGal Fingers crossed you feel ok today love. Keeps us posted. Big hug. Margie xx
  • kitkatb
    kitkatb Member Posts: 442
    Options
    Hi @TabooGal good on you  first one down and 3 to go.   Hope you have picked up a bit and feeling relatively semi normal. Its good that at least you can get some sleep through the worst of it.  I so appreciate you sharing your thoughts down here as It gives me some sort idea on what to expect.( even though everyone is different )  Are you managing to eat much or getting out for a walk.  Got my first onc appointment tomorrow and will no doubt get the full barrage of what to expect and what cocktails they will be giving me. :/
    Let us know how you are travelling.  Am feeling really anxious as well about chemo, even more so that when I had the surgeries.  Big hugs as well xxx
  • Eastmum
    Options
    Hi @kitkatb - the first chemo is the scariest! I was also totally more freaked out about chemo than surgeries. Now it's just part of my world and I can definitely see the tiny pin prick of light at the end of the tunnel, knowing that each week it will get brighter and brighter until in just a few weeks' time it will all be behind me. You and @TabooGal will get through it too, and we're all here to help you!

Let us know what your oncologist says tomorrow! All the best for your appointment - don't forget to take a huge list of questions and don't leave until you have them all answered! 

xxxxx
  • TabooGal
    TabooGal Member Posts: 146
    Options
    @kitkatb Day 6 here. SE relatively mild to what I was expecting. Just enough to stop me from going to work. I struggle with the concept of delayed side effects. My mind says if it's going to happen it should happen straight away. Let my nausea meds get behind so had a rough night. Up until now it's been fatigue more than anything. Had my daughter come up from Melb for the weekend to be with me when I chopped my hair. Ended up going with pixie. Really struggling with cold head! Beanie in bed is norm at the moment. Am eating ok as long as I keep the nausea meds up. I feel you're anxiety. It's the unknown. I almost feel if I was able to be familiar with the chemo room and the process I would have been less stressed. Not so stressed about next one on 24th now. If you are doing chemo maybe you can ask to visit the chemo room so it's not quite so daunting? Big hugs to you. It's ok to be afraid. Xxx
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Options

@Taboogal glad you are feeling better and getting your meds sorted. xo

• TabooGal
    Options
  • kmakm
    Options
    That's a cute cut!
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Options
    @TabooGal that looks really good - suits you!! xoxox
  • Eastmum
    Options
    @TabooGal - that looks so great! 

I cut my hair about that short too - and I never shaved it shorter. I just let the rest of it fall out on its own, mainly in the shower (gross to collect the huge clump of hair from the drain each time before someone else used the bathroom!), and I've found (now that I've finished AC chemo) that I haven't actually lost all my hair. I don't have much, but it's a fairly even scattering all over my head and I still have sideburns and quite a bit at the nape of my neck. 
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options

Hey Jen, you might be another one who finds the shorter style suits you in the future. It sure as shit is easier. Mxx

• TabooGal
    Options
    @Zoffiel. I cant believe how little shampoo I needed last night! I reckon I could cut down to once a week washes in this weather. Still getting used to it at the moment 
  • kmakm
    Options
    I'm keeping my short short hair for at least a year. Without exception everyone's told me how good it looks! I have nevet been one to fuss with my hair and so I'm loving how easy it is now. I've had hair down to my bum, short like a man and everything in between. I never would have had the guts to go this short, but have often wondered. I have a VERY short list of breast cancer silver linings (currently one). I think I'm putting my new 'do on it!