Our Gardens

Comments

• Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,374
    @Sister I wish we had gums to be concerned about. We used to live at the base of the Dandenong with gums galore. Now in suburbia and the gum trees are non existent. One day again!
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    I constantly worry about our gums. When it's windy I get very anxious about them.
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,374
    @kmakm When we lived in Mt Evelyn We had a gum come down on our roof, one down in the drive, one on the elec wires, a wattle down in the drive and lived in a high fire danger zone. I let go of the stress of what might happen and decided it was all worth it for the beauty and enjoyment. 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,568
    That's a bugger @sister - so you weren't covered by your home insurance?? 

Gum trees can be SO dangerous ..... Councils need to be so much more aware if their own responsibilities when home owners request trees to be cut down for safety sake - especially after long dry periods - when the long limbs become 'sacrificial' for the actual tree's survival.   :(   

Definitely not worth having any with limbs long enough that they can cause major damage to house or out buildings

We had a neighbour's pine tree limb that was overhanging our yard cut off - and when it came down - we were amazed at how much LONGER it was once it was down - rather than just 'looking at it' on the tree!
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    We were covered by insurance but that was a joke!  Got nowhere near back the replacement cost.  The companies contracted by the insurance people were very quickly no longer contracted by the insurance people (but report stands).
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    What a cracker of a photo!
    Wonder what the cat was thinking!

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,568
    The cat was thinking Mice on Steroids, I reckon!  Great pic @Sister

• Annie C
    Annie C Member Posts: 849
    @jennyss
    What a great shot of the pigeon in flight.

• jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,959
    Thanks @Annie C , It is an Apostlebird. They get around in gangs of abourt 12, and are real clowns, grooming each other, tossing leaves, harrassing magpies and chasing each other. They come down  to the bird water every day. What are your birds in the Kimberley up to at the moment?
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,959
    Dear @Annie C, What a bird list! How exciting. I would love to see the Tawny Frogmouths, Dollarbirds and Rainbow Bee Eaters. The other name for Apostlebirds down here is 'CWA Birds' - that's rather sexist and politically incorrect too!
  • Annie C
    Annie C Member Posts: 849
    @jennyss
    Oh but I love it!
  • KarynJ
    KarynJ Member Posts: 193
    @sister your wonderful photo reminds me of the old Sylvester cartoons and his son where they'd see a mouse in one room, Sylvester would follow it into another room and there would be a kangaroo. He'd react in horror and his son just couldn't understand lol.

Reminds me of a time a few years back when my cat heard a lizard rustling in the garden.  He went to look for it and got the shock of his life when a blue tongue appeared and hissed at him.  He backed away so fast and came hurtling over to me with the same expression on his face..."WTF is THAT???  That ain't no lizard!!  Help!"  I had to laugh.