Our Gardens

Options

Comments

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    @annie c
    What a beautiful chorus!  Love the collection and some so colourful.

Yes it's true CWA birds
    "...And that loud chattering is how it got its other name: the CWA bird. Which refers to the Country Women’s Association, because apparently these nattering birds used to remind people of their meetings..."

Here we have visits from
    Rosellas
    Kookaburra 
    Finches
    New Holland honeyeaters
    Cockatoos
    Black yellow tailed Cockatoos 
    Pallid cuckoo
    Pigeon doves
    Butcher birds
    Magpies
    The horrid Indian Miner birds
    Et cetera

Nature is a marvelous thing

Take care

• jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,959
    Options
    @iserbrown; those Indian Miners have such 'cranky' faces too! On our birdbath right now there are Crested Pigeons and Red-rumped Parrots.
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    I've got white winged choughs here at the moment. They behave a bit like apostle birds, hanging out in family groups of 10 or so. I've never seen them this far down out of the hills, but it's been so dry nothing surprises me.
  • Annie C
    Annie C Member Posts: 849
    Options
     @Sister
    I am a little envious of your koalas and echnidnas.

We have more birdlife than animal life on our block. We have the reptiles - skinks, house geckos, blue tongues, bobtails,
    gilberts dragons, bungarras, frill neck lizards and snakes of course. There is a very large olive python living in the shed and many "cheeky" snakes (King Browns) are often observed. The olive python often hangs off the rafters watching Ian "create".

However apart from the very cute agile wallabies not much else in marsupial life. A girlfriend who lives some 5 blocks away has a family of echidnas at the back of her block where it backs onto bush. Some years ago there were northern quolls visiting, however the neighbours aquired themselves some very large pig dogs and I haven't seen the quolls since. 

Very relunctantly we fenced the agile wallabies out of our block. They were doing much damage to the garden and reticulation. We seemed to spend much of our precious Sunday off repairing reticulation lines that had been dug up or chewed off.

However the wallabies did have retribution. After a weekend of fencing some 500 metres of pig wire topped with 3 rows of barbed wire, there were many cuts, scratches and barked knuckles. That was 10 years ago - couldn't do it now!

• Annie C
    Options
    @Sister
    Ian search his bird photo bank and found a photo of a Spangled Drongo taken late 2018.

For a bird with a name of Spangled Drongo, he is pretty ordinary. No bling, no jewellery. Only thing "bling about him is his beady red eye.

In the bottom left corner of the photo, sitting on the waterbowl is a Sacred Kingfisher. 
  • Annie C
    Options
    Amend the Sacred Kingfisher to an Azure Kingfisher.

Should have checked the bird book instead of relying on memory!
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Oh...I forgot our kookaburras and various kingfishers - I never know which they are.  I remember when my husband and I were camping up in the Kimberley.  I'd cooked spaghetti bolognese for tea and had done way to much spaghetti so put it into a rubbish bag that was hanging on the edge of the stove, ready to throw away the next day.  We were in the tent and heard some strange noises.  Looked out to see a quoll scoffing the spaghetti.  I think that was one marsupial that was headed for a stomach ache.
  • Annie C
    Options
    @Sister
    That quoll would have had a feast. Cast iron stomachs. They are "bush vacuum cleaners".

Quolls regularly raid camp rubbish bins. Our friends who have a tourist bush camp at Bachsten Creek at the back of Mt Elizabeth Station have to remind their campers not to leave food out overnight that will be required the next day - it won't be there in the morning!

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,586
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Cute, @Sister - less so when fully grown & male!

Sadly, our 2 orange/tangelo trees have been decimated by bloody possums!   I bought a trap & we've caught 4-5 so far .... Hubby takes them to a forest about 2km away to release.  I just hope they are not good at finding their way back again! 

They have chewed every bloody leaf off both trees!!  grrr  No fruit this year!!  :( 

• jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,959
    Options
    Dear @Doodoo,  thanks for posting these beautiful photos. Do you back on to a lagoon?
    Best wishes from jennyss in Western NSW
  • Doin'it
    Doin'it Member Posts: 377
    Options
    Good morning @jennyss. We back onto a lake (which is a bit low on water at the moment). The fence is our pool fence & birds love it 😊