Our Gardens

Comments

• jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,951
    @Deanne, your kangaroo has posed very elegantly!

• Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    Yes @jennyss, he is pretty relaxed. The rest of his mob were spread around our backyard, some eating, some relaxing like him. They come through most days or nights and are fairly used to us humans. They are pretty road savvy too!  :)
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,354
    He looks in much better shape than the ones in Canberra which are starving, thanks to the drought. Culling sounds cruel but starving animals are both tragic and potentially dangerous as they lose any fear/sense about roads in their quest for food. 
  • Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    True @Afraser. We live very close to natural bush and a conservation area. The kangaroos in our area still have enough grass even though we have had a dry summer so far. They are pretty content and I hope that their numbers remain at a level that is sustainable for this location.
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,542
    My favs! My wedding boquet was orchids - many moons ago!
  • jennyss
    Dear @Annie C

Best wishes from jennyss in Western NSW

• Beryl C.
    Beryl C. Member Posts: 270
    One of my favourites. 'Nigella'
  • jennyss
    @Beryl C. , Do these pretty flowers also get called 'Love in a Mist', or cornflowers? I remember a bush growing in our garden in a shady spot when I was a child.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,354
    Ah Love-in-a-mist! When we were kids, my mother - a terrific gardener - gave us little plots of our own to grow what we chose. That was my favourite.

• Beryl C.
    Beryl C. Member Posts: 270
    @jennyss its not a cornflower although the brilliant blue is very similar. Apparently the Nigella seed is used in Middle Eastern cooking. The flower has a complex structure, fascinates me. Autumn Solstice and the light has changed, getting less intense - Dahlias giving a riot of colour!

• jennyss
    Dear @BerylC
    Because we have had lots of lovely rain after years of dry; parts of my garden think it's spring. Geraniums flowering like mad! More rain coming tomorrow and on the weekend. Best wishes from jennyss in Western NSW.
  • Caz1
    Caz1 Member Posts: 382
    I’ve just seen this post for the first time today, and  I adore absolutely adore everything on it!
    What beautiful gardens and creatures you all have :) Thanks everyone for making my day! I needed this.
    big love, Caz xxx <3

• cranky_granny
    cranky_granny Member Posts: 690
    I was given some gladioli bulbs, which are in my crisper. 
    not being a gardener have to google what and when regarding planting and care. 

• Annie C
    Annie C Member Posts: 849
    @cranky_granny

I have this deluded impression that gladioli bulbs will grow in the Kimberley. They don't. Given up coaxing them along only to have the bulbs go to mush. So, cannot offer any suggestions.

When I lived down south, I grew roses, but wanted a tropical garden. I now have the tropical garden, beautifully growing on 5 acres
    ( well 1 acre - the other 4 are eye high cane grass and buffel grass weeds), so what do I hanker for - roses! They don't grow up here either!