Our Gardens

Comments

• jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,951
    What a great vegie haven @Annie C .I wonder if snails like wine - more my thing!
  • Annie C
    Annie C Member Posts: 849
    @Locksley

Oh they are beautiful. You must pick and pick and pick.

When I lived in the south of Western Australia, I grew beautiful roses, however I hankered for a tropical garden. 

You know, the palms, the caladiums, the crotons, the orchids, the colourful foliage plants. 

Now I live in the tropics with all those plants in my garden and what do I hanker for - a rose garden!

• Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    Yep, Beer. Works a treat. Only problem is, you need to tip the dead snails out every morning as they do tend to smell after a bit. Unfortunately, my french bulldog was quite taken with the smell of beer and the container was dug up and chewed to bits. I need to put in a pottery one next time.
  • Caz1
    Caz1 Member Posts: 382
    edited January 2021
    @Annie C   Wow, so interesting! Is that a flame tree?
  • jennyss
    Dear @Annie C,
    Thank you for the description of your garden; and garden history - beautiful. We have been in our house near Dubbo NSW for 19 years. It is at the edge of a rural village. A very  basic garden of pot plants, a few bushes and about 10 trees including Kurrajongs and bottle trees which we have planted near the house and in the paddock. It is good to see birds using the trees. 
  • Locksley
    Locksley Member Posts: 911
    Hi @Annie
    Your garden is lovely.  The red trees are beautiful.  You must have clever parrots.   Our parrots eat the new shoots from the rose bushes so I am lucky to get any flowers at all.!  
  • FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,513
    @Locksley Stunning 🥰🥰
  • jennyss
    Beautiful @Locksley! I was intrigued by the name of the rose, so looked it up on wikipedia. I read that " 'Camp David' is a red hybrid tea rose developed by Mathias Tantau, Jr. in 1984. While the rose was hybridized in Germany, it was not introduced in its home country but in Australia, where the cultivar is well liked." However, no explanation of the name of the rose.
  • Locksley
    Locksley Member Posts: 911
    Hi Jennyss, I never thought about the name. I even thought it may have had something to do with where the USA president holidays I think that is called Camp David but I am not sure!   My brain is toast these days.   The fragrance is lovely and it's a long stem rose.   I have 4 of them as standard roses and I Have to make sure I pick the flowers because the rose gets so heavy they often fall over.   I have a couple of roses that need restaking at the moment but I have to pick the jobs I can do.   
  • jennyss
    Yes, I too thought the rose must be named after the Camp David hideaway for American presidents. I'll see if I can  find any further information. Or perhaps one of our network buddies knows more?