Men diagnosed with breast cancer

Options
12346»

Comments

• traveltext
    traveltext Member Posts: 253
    Options
    Thanks June. Very trying times for sure. I trust that you and your loved ones are safe and well. 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,592
    edited August 2023
    Options
    I was so sorry to read of the passing of Harry Brooks.  Condolences to his wife & family & friends.  I had shared a couple of his newspaper articles to my FB page ..... advising my male buddies to get checked out if they found anything 'not normal'.

https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/25764/friday-update-11th-august-2023#latest

You can 'read' his story here:

https://www.bcna.org.au/personal-stories-new/my-name-is-harry-brooks/

VALE Harry
  • traveltext
    Options
    Well, that’s sad news. RIP Harry and condolences to family and friends. 

It’s pretty much four years since Rob Fincher, another BCNA advocate for men, passed. 

As Rob said to me at our last meeting: #fuckcancer. 
  • arpie
    Options
    I agree with that sentiment 110%, @traveltext xxx Sorry you have lost another buddy xx

I hope you are going well xx. Take care

• Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,279
    Options
    #fuckcancer for sure. Sorry about your mate @traveltext
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,831
    Options
    It is very sad news to read that we have lost another brave man.
    Thinking of you and your family, Yvonne.
    RIP Harry.

@traveltext, it does not seem like 4 years since Rob passed.  Another amazing member.

If only all men would get checked for BC.
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,379
    Options
    @June1952 Easier said than done. An in law relative of my brother had a lump and the doctors refused to take him seriously. Six months later of him nagging they finally did a biopsy. Cancer. Too late.
  • arpie
    Options
    One of my uke players, the same with her husband, sadly too little too late. :(  @Blossom1961

DISGUSTING & unforgivable :( 
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,831
    Options
    I am fortunate in that my hubby has always followed through - as long as I make the appointment for him.  I have even sent the GP a letter of issues to be discussed
    @arpie and @Blossom1961 - that goes to show that there is simply not enough discussion about men's health in general, let alone male BC.
    Perhaps the medical profession, such as the RACGP needs to send out flyers about this ?  Perhaps BCNA can send them some info about male members to highlight the issue @Mez_BCNA ?
  • Mez_BCNA
    Mez_BCNA Administrator, Staff, Member, Moderator Posts: 876
    Options
    There was the story of Paul Hughes "Flighting for life - Man with breast cancer battles for cause" in the lead up to Field of Women if some of you missed it. Thought I would share (attached).

Agree that there is always more work to do to improve awareness.
  • traveltext
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up. I'm so pleased Paul's prognosis has improved.