Men diagnosed with breast cancer

Options

Comments

• traveltext
    traveltext Member Posts: 253
    Options
    That's a dreadful, but all too common story @arpie. My GP took three visits over three months before I insisted on an ultrasound. Later diagnosis leads to a poorer prognosis and your uke player's hubbies friend is one more dreadful story.

My question to @BCNA is always, why is public awareness that men can get this disease too, so low? I know they have done much for guys, but they must take some of the blame, as the nation's preeminent bc charity, for not bushing breast cancer as a genderless disease. Studies vary, but less than 50% of the general population are aware of the possibility. I know we are only one percent of total diagnoses, but when you are in that group, your dilemmas are as great as those of your sisters in the same boat.

• SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    Thank you @Kirsten_BCNA for your reply 

I want to see more about pushing the fact that Breast Cancer is a genderless disease... as Traveltext states above. 

I spend time educating male partners of my friends who have no awareness that men can get bc... 
    One particular friend has had many female close family members die from BC he was unaware that also increased his risks. 

Education is so important to help us get this disease diagnosed as early as possible. 

• Carissa_BCNA
    Carissa_BCNA Administrator, Staff, Member, Moderator Posts: 251
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Hi everyone,

BCNA are holding a 'Blokes and Breast Cancer - Virtual Discussion' on Wednesday 4 August, 6.00pm to 7.30pm AEST.  

This men only, virtual discussion will explore the lived experience of being diagnosed with breast cancer as a man. You will hear from Radiation Oncologist Professor John Boyages, author of the book Male Breast Cancer: Taking Control. You will also hear from several men with breast cancer who will share their personal experiences, have the opportunity to ask questions and hear about the support and resources available to you.

If you would like to attend, please email events@bcna.org.au to register your interest. 

https://www.bcna.org.au/webcasts-new/blokes-and-breast-cancer-a-virtual-discussion/

• SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    shared to facebook and men get it too 

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,577
    Options
    Just added the link to my Facebook Page & encouraging friends to do the same.
  • FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,535
    Options

My contribution 
  • arpie
    Options
    Start time for the Blokes & Breast Cancer is 6-7.30pm

• traveltext
    Options

MEN WELCOME ON THE BCO FORUM

I’ve been posting here for seven years. In the last couple of years as virtually the only guy. The people here are supportive and great company. I was invited to present the male bc voice for this vid:

https://youtu.be/AK_DH6PsQE8

• arpie
    Options
    All the best for the Q&A tonight @traveltext ... I added the info to a UK Men’s BC blog .... so hope you get some drop ins! 
  • Locksley
    Locksley Member Posts: 911
    Options
    @traveltext hope the men's webinar went well.  
  • traveltext
    Options
    Thanks @Locksley it did. About 10 blokes and lots of lively discussion. The moderator, who I’ve met in the past t a BCNA event on the Gold Coast, wrote an excellent book on bc in men, so was well informed and interesting. Will try and get more of these going. As you must know, men are very reluctant to talk about medical matters, and especially breast cancer! 
  • arpie
    Options
    Did any turn up from the UK??
  • traveltext
    Options
    No, don’t think so. 
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,830
    Options
    Hello @traveltext
    How are you ?  Hoping you are keeping well, also your family in these trying times.
    Life is indeed a struggle at times.
    Thinking of all men and women diagnosed with BC.
    Living with covid is becoming complicated and preventing so many important family gatherings.