Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

COVID 19 jab

Options

Comments

• June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,834
    Options
    Hi @iserbrown - 😁😁  How many of us hope for that decreased appetite.  Unfortunately nothing puts me off food, good old home-cooked food ....  I have tried o change GPs but you know how hard it is to get into clinics in the regions.  It is now over 3 weeks wait to get into one's 'usual' GP.

Hello @arpie - Pfizer does not seem to be available to anyone over 60 here in the regions, even hubby who is over 70 could not get Pfizer.  It does not matter who we ask or where we look there seems to be no advice re changing to Pfizer after an AZ shot.  The Pfizer heart issues are also off-putting.  My resting heart rate is usually around 52 - 58 with as low as 40 beats per minute overnight - that 111 beats per minute was scary and one I do not wish to repeat.  😂😂

@StrongCoffee - Like your Mum I have several things, including medications, so watch this space !  My husband was with me but his condition means he was no help.  If it happens again I won't hesitate to call an ambulance.

@Afraser - no worries.

@AllyJay - I will read your document when I finish this.  Thanks.
  • Glynnis
    Glynnis Member Posts: 353
    Options
    @Keeping_positive1 apparently I wasn’t eligible for the Pfizer jab I didn’t meet the requirements, so as at todayi
     I’m Still not vaccinated, I don’t move far from home and always wear a mask when I go out,  the criteria did change after I had spoke to my oncologist, where they changed the age to 60 and below for Pfizer so when I see her again next month I’ll have another chat about getting the Pfizer jab and see how I go
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,612
    Options
    Hubby has now been cleared by the Onc to have the AZ jab - so he is getting it on Sat.  I had mine about a month ago
  • Keeping_positive1
    Keeping_positive1 Member Posts: 555
    Options
    @Glynnis in the end I had the AZ as was going to wait too long for another option.  I am mid 60's and the only side effects I had was tiredness the next day, and the day after I felt like I was coming down with a cold/flu, but that feeling subsided by the end of the day.  I have my second jab in early September.  Many reasons I would have preferred the Pzifer and the main one was that I would be fully covered in the space of three weeks.  

I hope you can get your jab as soon as you want.  Could you speak with your oncologist earlier than next month?  Take care.
  • Glynnis
    Glynnis Member Posts: 353
    Options
    @Keeping_positive1 glad you’ve had yours and you didn’t get too many side effects, I see oncologist in 2 weeks so happy to wait till then, I’m in Melbourne so in lockdown at the moment anyway so can’t go anywhere anyway 
  • Keeping_positive1
    Keeping_positive1 Member Posts: 555
    Options
    @Glynnis ditto ........... in Melbourne also.
  • gumnut
    gumnut Member Posts: 1,063
    Options
    Hello 
    I got pfizer #1 jab a week ago, no side effects except sore arm 24 hrs later
    Appreciate that it’s a personal choice 
    Grateful 🙏 to have some protection  :) 
  • arpie
    Options
    Watch out for the 2nd pfizer jab, @gumnut - some have had the worst reaction on the 2nd one.

Hubby has done well with the jab - he didn't even get the chills!! (I did!). Tho will keep an eye on him for a week or so .... 
  • gumnut
    gumnut Member Posts: 1,063
    Options
    Will do @arpie :)
    I was very happy when they opened up the pfizer to the under 60s as I wasn't too keen on the AZ alternative. Just happy with some protection. I'm lucky to live in regional NSW, so not exposed to the virus concerns that those in the capital cities are at this point in time.
  • arpie
    Options
    And Fingers crossed we STAY not exposed ..... I wouldn't be living in (or visiting) Sydney for QUIDS!  There's only been a couple of Pfizer 'handouts' down our way - about 50k away ..... and they were opened up to anyone, as they had to be used due to the temperature thing!  So some lucky people who were nearby were able to get them of any age.  Only AZ available in my town so far, I think.
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,964
    Options
    I had my second AZ jab yesterday. No side effects so far. I'm pleased to be 'fully vaccinated', as I travel regularly to visit my 93 yr old father, who has recently had his second AZ jab. Best wishes to all network members.
  • June1952
    Options
    Hi @StrongCoffee - I could not get in to see my regular doctor but saw another one at the same clinic.  I explained my reaction to the first AZ shot and she said it is not usual for people to react as badly after the second jab.  The heart rate of 111 did not scare her at all but said if it was over 150 to call an ambulance.  So, I go again on Monday but will double-check with the doctor at the vaccination centre before proceeding.  Will let you know how I go.

Hope all are going OK, especially members who live in the scary parts of NSW right now.  Hope you have been able to get vaccinated and feel somewhat safer.
  • June1952
    Options
    Went in for my 2nd AZ jab today.
    The waiting room was mainly older people but the nurse told me that younger people are now thinking it is a good idea to get jabbed and they are even getting some previously anti vaxxers in as they are seeing how quickly the covid is moving and how many younger people are getting sick enough to require ventilating.
    Will report tomorrow on whether this 2nd jab gives me the same reaction as the 1st one 😀
  • June1952
    Options
    Here I am reporting in after my 2nd AZ jab ........
    I had a mild headache not requiring Panadol.  I woke in the night feeling very cold for a few hours but no shakes.  I did not have a repeat of any frightening heart issues although my heart rate is up a bit.  
    Now we just hope for no clots, eh ?
  • arpie
    edited August 2021
    Options
    SO glad you didn’t get those high heart beats again @June1952  .... that ‘cold’ thing was weird, wasn’t it? Tho did get some shakes too - about 5 mins.  I got that on the first jab - but I guess it shows our body is actively working on the immunity ...

I cant see NSW going from over 200 cases a day to zero before the end of the month .... :(

Our Regional Pfizer jabs are being sent to Sydney, to inject the Higher School Cert students .... lots of very unhappy regional people!