Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

COVID 19 jab

Options

Comments

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    No I don't agree with the uncertainty!
    We are all individual in reaction to whatever treatment or vaccine.   If someone my age develops a blood clot it doesn't necessarily follow  that I will.
    I hope your concerns and anxieties can be addressed by your own medical team and or GP

Take care
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,831
    Options
    @iserbrown - did you get the Pfizer or AZ ?
  • iserbrown
    edited July 2021
    Options
    AZ!  All good,  didn't even need a bandaid as I didn't bleed

I have a little sister, under 50, and her Oncologist suggested she have, which she did, AZ, no problem!  Her Onc suggested panadol and nurofen for the first day, all good!  Short straw for her is Cervical cancer
  • June1952
    Options
    My injection site was no issue at all.  The fast heart rate is a concern.   GP is fence-sitting.  OK if an ambulance is quick !
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,374
    Options
    It may not be relevant as possibly entirely different condition but I have an arrhythmia (AF) and didn’t have as much as a flutter from either vaccination. But I can understand the concern. 
  • June1952
    Options
    Hi @Afraser.  I have AF as well and can always count my own heartbeats.  About 16 hours after the 1st jab I was woken by my chest pounding.  I tried to do relaxion breathing to no avail.  Glanced at the Fitbit which I had forgotten all about (!) and then went and used the blood pressure machine which confirmed the figure.  It was scary and I don't want a repeat performance !  The GP is fence-sitting and won't make a decision as to what I should do now ......
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,592
    Options
    To be honest, I think everyone has the 'chance' of a bad reaction (and whilst sad for family members - the 2 that have passed away from clots issues - is very sad - but I understand they already had a clotting issue ) .... but if you aren't vaccinated & DO catch the virus ...... the chances of dying from it (be it clots or whatever) are VERY MUCH higher than if you aren't vaccinated.

We won't be able to 'open up as a country' even to our own states (let alone overseas travel!) at our current rate of vaccination - as our current rate of vaccination will take YEARS!   The Gov was really SLACK in saying 'there was no hurry' - when they should have encouraged it ..... The USA and UK are now 80% vaccinated & are heading into Summer, with open air concerts with thousands of people attending, unmasked.   

WE, on the other hand, are heading into Winter & scared shitless!   :(   It didn't have to be this way.

We've missed the boat a bit, thru mis-information & dumb statements from anti-vaxxers & lack of both Pfizer AND AZ orders by our Gov (NZ is in the same boat too!  Those over 70 over there won't be vaccinated til July or Aug .... and they should have been the FIRST!)  :neutral:

Being vaccinated is the RIGHT THING TO DO - and the sooner we all do it, the better.

Take care, stay well xx
  • Afraser
    Options
    To be fair, your GP as yet has limited information about any COVID vaccine with other complaints or long term. He/she however knows that these vaccines have had the same testing as any other vaccine used in Australia and have met all our standards. Mine never raised my arrhythmia as an issue but it is very stable and I haven’t had any racing heartbeat in a long time. 
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    I had the AZ exactly 1 month ago.  I was very reluctant to have it, not because of the clotting issue but because of the lower efficacy.  Anyway, decided that it was the right thing to do and that I wasn't going to be offered Pfizer anyway at 57 so went ahead.  Of course, a week or so later, Pfizer was opened up to my age group.  I felt very unwell for a couple of days - headachey, muscle aches and very tired.  That did improve but I have to say that I have not felt particularly well ever since.  Not bad enough to go think I've got clots but I fatigue has been shocking (and I already get tired enough), I've had so many headaches and achey legs.  While this outbreak worries me greatly (good on ya, Glad), I am really not keen to get a second AZ jab.  Elsewhere in the world, they are quite happy to give Pfizer as the second one after a first of AZ and supposedly, the efficacy is better than two AZ.  I have a GPs appointment a few days before my second AZ so will see what he says.  I don't hold out much hope but quite possibly going to cancel the AZ.  Has anyone else had ongoing problems since having theirs?
  • June1952
    Options
    Understand all that @Afraser, but the authorities keep saying to discuss with the GP and that is not necessarily satisfactory.  If you went through what I did that night you would understand how I am feeling.  Lucky you to have had no issues whatsoever. 
    I don't need lectures on it all as I do know of 2 people who have been in ICU for months with COVID, I am not stupid so know the statistics etc and do have a common-sense brain, hence getting the shot in the first place however I do not want a repeat performance of the bad reaction - especially given that I am carer of hubby who has dementia and (1) he was scared s....... and (2) I do not want to needlessly leave him alone if I am dragged off to hospital !
  • Afraser
    Options
    Perfectly understandable, no
    lecture intended!
  • AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 945
    Options
    This is a document put out very recently by the authorities. I'm 63 but have Antiphospholipid Syndrome and thus can't have the AstraZeneca one as the type of cascade of events that cause the specific blood clots responsible for the problems with it, have precisely the same mechanism of formation of the condition I have. I've had to have my flu vaccine first, then a wait of two weeks for my six monthly Prolia injection, then another fortnight wait for the first of the Pfizer one, even although I'm over 60.
  • iserbrown
    Options
    @June1952

Hope you are feeling a little better and no more increased heartbeats
    The paperwork given lists common and rare side effects - I was hoping decreased appetite may come into it!  Lol!
    Is it considered coincidental rather than a cause hence the fence sitting.....
    If you are unhappy with your GP is it worth considering an appointment with someone else. 

You perhaps need to research effects from Pfizer before your second vax is due

It's a bummer that it has rocked your confidence in the process

Best wishes
    Take care 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,592
    Options
    I feel your anxiety @June1952 (Having had a heart scare last year myself - I was sure I was having a heart attack.) I can fully understand your reluctance for the 2nd jab ... and yes, those who've had AZ first, CAN have the Pfizer for the 2nd - and I actually believe it gives better 'cover' too.   I just don't think  Pfizer is as readily available in regional areas as it may be in the cities.  So maybe a trip to the closest city that has a drive in/walk in Jab Centre would be in order.  The important thing is to just get the 2nd one done, for full cover.  Not sure of the 'wait time' for the 2nd one, if Pfizer tho - it may not need to be the 3 months that it is for AZ.  Good luck xx
  • StrongCoffee
    StrongCoffee Member Posts: 128
    Options
    I'll be interested to hear how some of you go with switching to pfizer for the 2nd. My mum (69yo) had a flu-like reaction to the first AZ. I'd wanted to be with her, but they had a cancellation so she went and got it done without telling me. First night she almost called an ambulance she felt so sick, roasting temp, aches, she already has high BP and a heart issue, so all that was going bananas. Knocked her out for 3 days and has taken her a couple of weeks to start to feel normal.

She is allergic to the flu vaccine and a few other things (eg penicillin, a certain type of local anaesthetic) so it's sort of not surprising she had a big reaction. But we're quite worried about the 2nd shot.

Her GP has just said she should have someone stay with her overnight after she has it. Doesn't really seem like enough of a precaution given how crook she was.