New and so confused

Options

Comments

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Take some deep breaths, it's going to be OK!

We all react differently so there's no real guide. But a few things to think about are:

Some people get diarrhoea, some people get constipation. I initially had the former and then the latter kicked in and stayed for the duration. You might want to have some Coloxyl with Senna to hand, and some sort of gastro stop, or prime someone to get it for you when you know.

My tastebuds went gradually. No one food revolted me or enticed me, but have some easy gentle foods stocked up. Some people go for salty, and others sweet.

As your tastebuds change, a lot of people swear by some citrus in their water to make it palatable.

Tomorrow you should start drinking lots of water. For the first two days after each infusion you want to be drinking two to three litres a day. Keeping the lid down when you flush is important while the toxins are coming out of your body.

I found chemo very drying, so lip balm and hand cream are good to have on hand, as is a thermometer to check your temperature. If it goes over 38° get thee to the hospital immediately.

If you're trying the cold cap, a woollen beanie is good to wear afterwards. It takes a while to get your temperature back up to normal.

Your oncologist should have given you take home meds for nausea, or prescriptions. Fill them and don't hesitate to take them, and if they don't work, don't hesitate to call your onc, GP or the chemo ward for advice.

Dexamethasone gave me shocking indigestion, so be prepared. Maybe ask your oncologist or the chemo nurses what they recommend for it should it occur.

I would advise against buying everything! You could end up spending a lot of money for nothing. You may have very little trouble.

If you're not doing the cold cap, round about day 12 hair will start to go. From your head, your nose, your groin and possibly pretty much everywhere, though not necessarily. A cap to sleep in at night to stop the mess is handy, unless you pre-empt that stage altogether and shave it off before.

Box sets, Netflix, Stan, Foxtel, easy reads and headache tablets.

That's all I can think of for now. Truly, the scariest bit is right now. Once you're underway it all gets easier. Keep moving with as much exercise as you can manage and that will help minimise the side effects.

You've got this! Big hug, K xox

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    Is someone going with you? The immediate response is that it is very hard to tell how you will respond, but if you feel unwell in any way having someone with you is a practical consideration. I had my first chemo in hospital (side story) so anyone necessary was on hand, and no need for anyone to supervise me getting home etc. I did all my chemo solo from them on as I knew I was fine. Other than that it can be slow, so music, reading material etc. You may be next to someone who wants to chat, but often people are either with friends and family themselves, or choose to occupy themselves. You'll be offered tea or coffee and probably a snack, but take your own if you prefer. Best wishes.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,584
    edited January 2019
    Options
    @Newby24   When my husband was going thru chemo, I got him a small iPod with all his favourite music on it to listen to as he dozed - it can take a few hours or more to do.   Also some crossword puzzles & a couple of magazines.  Easy to read stuff - not a novel as there is so much going on around you, it may be difficult to concentrate.  Maybe take a drink bottle with your favourite liquid in it - keep sucking on that so you don't get dehydrated.  

A few ideas for what to take with you ..... you've probably got most of them already ... Keep the stuff in it's own bag - then you are ready to go!  
    1. Comfortable Clothing - short sleeve, V neck  
    2. Comfy Socks/shoes. ... 
    3. Hat, Scarf, or Beanie (further down the track)  ... 
    4. Pillow or Blanket (in case the Aircon is cold - tho they should have a blanket if needed) ... 
    5. Fluids – Especially Water. ... drink plenty after chemo, to help wash it out of your system
    6. Snacks. ... whatever you fancy - butterscotch is good to suck on, or even chewing gum for dry mouth
    7. Skin Care. ... 
    8. Nausea tablets (? further down the track)
    9. Ipad/ipod and earphones/earbuds - and/or a diary to record your thoughts ...
    10. Chapstick for lips .... air-conditioning can dry out your lips
    11. Someone to drive you there & home again!
    For 'afters' - I think the anti-nausea meds are the most vital.  Keith would be fine for a few days afterwards, then was just so tired he would put himself to bed for a few days - during which, just eat what ever you can manage.  Then he would bounce back again .... 

You may have to stay out of the sun - Keith's skin went red & flaked with his chemo regime & he wasn't allowed out in the sun at all.  

We had one toilet 'designated' just for him.

All the best, we'll be thinking of you xxx
  • kitkatb
    kitkatb Member Posts: 442
    Options
    Just wanted to say good luck @Newby24 I finished my chemo September last year.   You've got this.   Everyone else has pretty much covered it all.   There might be days you find you can't physically eat much or drink much, I just stocked up on icy poles and they were great.  Agree about the citrus to the water or i had soda or mineral water as it didn't seem as heavy as the tap water.  Also I used the biotene toothpaste and mouthwash and it kept my mouth free of ulcers. Any questions you have along the way just ask away and someone will reply. As Arpie said we'll be thinking of you.  xo
  • kmakm
    Options
    Oh yes, salt water mouth rinses to keep the mouth ulcers at bay, and a very soft toothbrush. Buy a baby one! K xox
  • Newby24
    Newby24 Member Posts: 62
    Options
    Well as expected on D-day, I am wide awake and have already done a load of washing. Chemo 1 at 2pm today. Ready as I’ll ever be. Brother in hospital yesterday so took my mind off me and I’ll pick him up this morning and drive him the 50kms home and then back. Currently still getting my room ready for any side effects. Will have another yarn to my daughters and grannies then I’ll have another shower about 1 and off to the hospital. Will probably check in cause this forum is what I depend on at the moment for the understanding of what’s happening so thank you again everyone 👍🏼
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Good luck today @Newby24 Are you 50km from hospital as well?  As @Afraser says, make sure that you've got someone to drive you - at least for this first one until you find out how you react.  I was quite woozy after the AC chemos.  Definitely not safe on the roads (I live nearly 40km away).
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    Take care and good luck! 
  • kitkatb
    kitkatb Member Posts: 442
    Options
    Good luck @Newby24   big hugs. xo
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,584
    Options
    Thinking of you today, @Newby24  -  all the best!  xxx  Big hugs coming your way

• CathyMac
    CathyMac Member Posts: 65
    Options
    @Newby24 thinking of you today. All the best. I have my first chemo on Monday. Sending big hugs❤️
  • kmakm
    Options
    You'll be right @Newby24, we're with you all the way. Have you got someone to drive you there and back? There was no way I could have driven home as they gave me Phenergan to counterract an allergic reaction to one of the drugs. I was dopey as anything! Good though as I just slept through it. They had to wake me up to tell me I was finished! Good luck. K xox
  • Riki_BCNA
    Riki_BCNA Staff Posts: 323
    Options
    Hello@Newby24 wishing you all the best for your first chemotherapy treatment today. Rest well and take care of you. If you have any concerns or worries post, don't hesitate to contact your treating team for support.
  • Flaneuse
    Flaneuse Member Posts: 899
    Options
    @Newby24 I'm just joining this thread as I've been occupied for a couple of weeks with family stuff. I hope today is as trauma-free as possible for you. The other champions on here have given you all the best advice.
    A chemo nurse advised me to take the anti-nausea meds regularly and pre-emptively: don't wait until nausea knocks at your door.
    Ginger beer and ginger lollies are good if you feel queasy. I had no vomiting at all.
    Your first cycle should give you an idea of the pattern of how each cycle will go.
    Take your temperature twice a day. The hospital will tell you that if it's 38C, go to Emergency.
    I had my hair buzz-cut. The remaining 1 cm started falling out after about 10 days; it wasn't uncomfortable - in fact I used to make a joke of rubbing it and spreading "silver fairy sprinkles". I chose turbans rather than a wig and loved them.
    If friends ask what they can do to help, tell them "A prepared meal that can be frozen".
    I hope you get a decent sleep tonight.
    All the best . 
  • Newby24
    Newby24 Member Posts: 62
    Options
    Thank you all for the well wishes. Well I think all in all I came through the first day okay. Took all the nausea tablets they gave me n a shot as well. The TC went along smoothly and even finding a vein was easy. I thought my blood pressure would have been up but it was 120/78 and they were very happy with that. Sugars were good this morning but were up tonight but I’ll just keep checking, temperatures are great so far. I have to go for radiologist meeting tomorrow and back to oncologist for a shot to boost immune system. Hope it goes okay 👌🏽 again thank you again everyone it really does mean the world. @Sister my brother didn’t end up getting out of hospital and no I live in Dubbo NSW and he lives 50kms in Wellington 👍🏼 Thanks for asking. @CathyMac you already sound like a very positive lady who I will totally be cheering from the sideline 👏🏼