New and so confused

Options

Comments

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    I can assure you @Shellshocked2018_ that I certainly didn't have the energy, or desire... Furthest thing from my mind at the time! I'm sure others are different though.  :)
  • Newby24
    Newby24 Member Posts: 62
    Options
    All good it’s just that we have two toilets but one is an ensuite in my daughters room n we have a 10 year old n two 16 year olds who I usually share with so I am already used to cleaning every day misses. But they are not sharing my toilet any more only me so far but not sure for how long. But enjoying the cleanliness so far lol ready for bed and just took 2 panadol for leg cramps again, hope I go alright tonight. Day 3 done.
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Options
    Ugghhh, I forgot how annoying condoms were.  It had been a really long time since those days LOL.  

It's interesting regarding the loos etc.  The room directly in  front of my desk at work is where all the really sick, tracheostomy and occasionally cytotoxic patients go so that someone always has eyes on them at all times.

I remember one day watching the nurse gown up etc to go in to  check on a cyto patient and here I am sitting at my desk all cytotoxic and stuff and no one worrying about that.   

• Newby24
    Options
    @kezmusc yes I was watching those toilets at oncology the other day and people were coming and going for the hours I was there and I was thinking how do I keep clean if I go in there? Having some cramps issues today and headache. Panadol is fixing it so far. Soreness is not really in one spot though it seems everywhere. I just keep getting up in putting washing on or folding so I don’t get stiff. But it is such a funny feeling, kinda shaky at some stages. Trying to eat is getting a problem cause everything is tasting a bit yucky. I am doing the Biotene toothpaste and mouth wash and salty warm wash so trying to keep ulcers at bay. Day 4.
  • kmakm
    Options
    @Newby24 Shaky is a good word for it; that's exactly how I felt.
  • Newby24
    Options
    My bestie said how does it feel and I said I can’t really explain, I just feel sore and shaky but not in like when your hands shake more inside. Kinda like a nervousness shaky feeling. Lucky days seem to be going quickly so far well at least the last 4 days.
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    @newby when I first had chemo in 2006, I used to joke that 20 years of hangovers was perfect training. Fast forward ten years to chemo V2, it was more like having alcohol poisoning. Horrible. Shaky is a great way of describing it that disconnected feeling. Poorly but not ruined. No-one wants to do this and it's like going out on the town with a couple of friends--you can all consume exactly he same things and have vastly different morning afters. MXX
  • Newby24
    Options
    @Zoffiel I think I have had every hangover possible and your quite right. Sometimes it feels like an outer body experience. Everything tastes yuck n cramps are ridiculous. But I suppose it is bearable. Panadol Advance and gastroStop have been the drugs of choice for today. I think the hair must be getting ready to fall out as my scalp is really sore and itchy. Slept nearly all day. Thanks @Zoffiel
  • kmakm
    Options
    Yes, sore and itchy is the precursor. It can go on for some time though, before it actually falls out.
  • kitkatb
    kitkatb Member Posts: 442
    Options
    Yes it is a really weird feeling with the hair.    Having the shakes is totally normal @Newby24  I ate little on the worst days but loved pineapple, watermelon and red pawpaw made up for it though on the week before chemo. 
  • Newby24
    Options
    Well haven’t been on here for a few days. I got floored with a few side effects and one was looking at my phone. Chemo 1/4 down and a little over a week until chemo 2/4 goes down and hopefully a little more prepared for this session. Ended up on a drip for dehydration and unbelievable and unbearable gastric so if anyone has any home brews for handling gastric can you please help....
  • kitkatb
    Options
    Hi @Newby24  On my first chemo I had exactly the same as you.  I had  what my Onc called "Chemo Induced Gastro" and I too had to go onto a drip for dehydration at my local hospital. It made little difference and I came out the hospital still  as bad as when I went in.  However after talking to the Onc and giving him my symptoms that's when he changed my pre chemo drugs around and my after chemo take home drugs.  On the day of chemo he introduced Phenergan into the mix which I stayed on for the whole time up to about a month after all chemo finished, he also introduced a strong slow release Nausea drug which lasted for up to 4 days after the day of chemo ( sorry can't remember the name of that one ) just that it releases over 4 days, This all added an extra 3/4 hour to my chemo but boy was it worth it. Also the steroid you take the day before and for 2 days after he increased it for me to take for 4 days post chemo instead of  the 2.  These changes made a huge difference for me and made the other 3 much more doable apart from a bit of a hiccup on my 2nd chemo with the Doxetaxin.      Hope this next one is a lot easier.  Big hugs  xo
  • Newby24
    Options
    @kitkatb thank you and yes I went to see my onc and he has give me a script of something with a mix of codeine to help with the gastric so I have been good for a few days. I really felt like I was going down hill fast as I couldn’t control my bowels and glad my daughter took the initiative to ring and make an appointment with the local gp attached to the chemo ward three days a week. The doctor put me straight on the drip. Yes I am not looking forward to round 2 next Wednesday but I do think I am more prepared. 
  • kitkatb
    Options
    Just think @Newby24 you will be half way through by then.  I'm glad you didn't suffer in silence as they can really give you other drugs to make the going a bit easier.   xo
  • kmakm
    Options
    @Newby24 I hope it's a first cycle thing only like it was for me. Fingers crossed. K xox