Diet, exercise, lifestyle to decrease the risk of BC recurrence

Options

Comments

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    @Wildplaces

Good Morning!  I hope you are a little more settled into this forum and that your comment about withdrawing from this discussion and or here, not sure which, was an over-reaction!  We are all different in where we are at in our journey, treatment et cetera and how it affects us.  

How about you start a new post to tell us a little about yourself.  

Within here you have given a precis however, I am sure a fresh post you will find lots of support and care.  If you hit the BCNA website button up the top you will find a plethora of information that maybe relevant to you.  Here's a link to one of those information sheets that maybe or was relevant to you and or your own friends
    https://www.bcna.org.au/understanding-breast-cancer/talking-to-family-and-friends/telling-your-children/

Don't know your age group but there are groups on here that maybe relevant, for example
    http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/group/10-young-women

As to quoting from differing studies, quite often they are minority studies.  BCNA have moderators who will clarify any links that we put up within posts.  The topic that you chose here is relevant to us all

Take care, we are all here to help each other 
  • iserbrown
    Options
    Sending you all a virtual hug xoxo
  • iserbrown
    Options
    Kerryn McCann - goodness!  I just looked it up and it was 2008!
  • Jandy232
    Jandy232 Member Posts: 15
    Options
    I don't think I suggested or implied that green tea would prevent breast cancer or a recurrence. Just mentioned it because the title of this post was Diet, Exercise & Lifestyle Changes to Prevent Recurrence and a lot of the research I've read indicates that it may help reduce the likelihood of recurrence. I think we all agree that the jury is still out on what causes breast cancer and it's probably a complicated combination of things and that we should never blame ourselves for getting this wretched disease, ever.

But I don't think that means we should ignore and dismiss all research that shows some promise in reducing our risks of breast cancer or any other cancer for that matter. Perhaps there are small tweaks we can make to our diets and lifestyle that really do reduce the risk. Of course there are no guarantees no matter what you do but I think these things are worth investigating and, if they do no harm, giving them a try.

• iserbrown
    Options
    @Molly001 thanks for the support, it is much appreciated!  It is my passion for helping others
  • Giovanna_BCNA
    Giovanna_BCNA Member Posts: 1,839
    Options
    Hello @Wildplaces I have changed the title of this thread as requested.
  • Wildplaces
    Wildplaces Member Posts: 81
    Options
    Giovanna - thank you - it is more accurate.

(Early detection and prevention is often used when addressing screening - and few assume that having the mammogram will mean you don't get breast cancer....hence my ...) 

I am encouraged by the number of visits the thread reached in a very short time.
    I hope the visits were a reflection of the genuine wish of the community to be engaged in constructive conversation about lifestyle modification following any major illness but particularly breast cancer.

I look forward to hearing what the BCNA position on exercise is, and whether it aligns with the NBCF. 
    https://nbcf.org.au/news/research-news/two-studies-show-impact-of-exercise-on-breast-cancer/

The biggest problem - now I speak for myself alone, is trying to fit those requirements into a lifetstyle that flows and is fulfilling - ie trying to take care of myself while taking care of my family, and working, and....
    It was my reason for starting the thread.

I came here to share two years after my treatment not because I looked for support but because I believe there is something we can all teach each other - a collective wisdom of survival.
    I had lots of time to read on chemo last year so I know the numbers and I can read numbers ( please don't take that as anything more than I am ok with maths) - ( alas I didn't post the data on nutrition, and it goes way beyond being overweight) BUT here is the crunch - the reality test - tell me wise ladies of the BCNA - how do we make it fit in.
    Did I follow it before diagnosis?? - no, I worked 80 hours per week before diagnosis and never crossed my mind I could get sick. Did that make me get BC ?? Heck no, we don't understand why although pieces of the puzzle now exist.
    How do we incorporate it into life, how do we get back on the horse when we fall, how do  
    we change cooking for a family, how do we deal with supermarkets when perhaps we would prefer 9pm fresh open air markets and farmers...

A word on the recipes - I have many cooking books (am of that generation, like to hold something ) and still the things I cook are the things that have been taught to me by family and friends. I like a recipe that has been crafted by five different women before me.

A thread is only as good as the people who contribute to it are - to those who contributed with fragments of their lives in the hope that something might have meaning to another - thank you - if this is valuable to you please continue to  post.
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    Hi @Wildplaces exercise was never a favourite of mine though I didn’t mind if it was chasing a ball .I too had a busy working life and a family to look after.

It took a 76year old breast cancer veteran survivor to pull me up short about not having time to exercise.She told me she has been getting up at 6am every morning for 20 years since diagnosis to go for a one hour walk as that was the only time there were no interruptions. She does it rain or shine as it makes her feel better and more able to manage her day. She also said it required no fancy equipment just a good pair of shoes. 

I walk daily for an hour and the terrain is hilly. Occasionally I miss if it’s raining or very hot.I work usually around 9 as my kids are at school and now around 4pm when they get home before dinner -it used to be after dinner but daylight saving has ended.

If I miss a walk I notice it. Walking gives me “me”time and a chance to think.My family accept this and my husband also walks now but is a lot faster.I am not fond of silence so listen to music on my phone which I have on a runner’s band on my arm.I enjoy music and drift off forgetting I am exercising.

Walking is sometimes hard because of joint pain as I am on Letrozole as my breast cancer is Er+.However I have learnt I can walk thru this after a short while and it also counters stiffness I used to have getting up in the morning.I am hoping it helps lower my cholesterol as another side effect of Letrozole has been a spike in my formerly good cholesterol.Letrozole plus I guess the whole breast cancer experience at times lowers my mood bringing on the blues and the walk releases endorphins which help with this as well.Letrozole also thins bones and as I already had osteoporosis I hope walking will help with this.

I too have read and been told about the benefits of exercise in the prevention of recurrence so that is also another reason I walk.

I also do a gentle Stretch and Balance class twice weekly involving light weights primarily to help my joints but it also has brought me laughter and fun which I also think helps.Weight bearing exercise also helps with osteoporosis .@Deanne has told us about the wonderful work The Bone Clinic and Griffith Uni in Qld are doing in this regard.

Finally I think I have become a little selfish with my time which is how I have been able to make time to fit exercise in and this is accepted by my family.But also I exercise for many reasons.

Getting back on the horse ? I fall off frequently - I get up , dust myself off and get back on again. Occasionally someone gives me a lift up.The important thing is to try - falling off is normal.

Glad to see you back!

• Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    @Karen_C exactly ! We do it primarily because it makes us feel better for lots of reasons.
This discussion has been closed.