Diet, exercise, lifestyle to decrease the risk of BC recurrence

Options

Comments

• PatsyN
    PatsyN Member Posts: 296
    Options
    I have a recipe. It's the easiest one I know and is full of all the things a girl with cancer needs.

18% omega-3 fatty acids
    34% fibre
    5 x times the calcium of milk (but in a less absorbable way)
    Minerals include magnesium, iron and zinc

I've posted this a few times but can't overpost as it's such a good thing to maintain balance in the bowel - a problem common to everyone during cancer treatment.
    So:-
    4 parts coconut milk to 1 part chia seeds, black or white
    Sweeten with honey
    Put in fridge to set for 30 minutes or overnight, doesn't matter
    It's like sago pudding but with sooo much goodness
    You can add yoghurt, fresh fruit, muesli or nothing at all
    My bowels have never faltered throughout this entirely ghastly ordeal.
    Cheers everyone
  • PatsyN
    Options

And here is one I prepared earlier, lol

Chia seed pudding with Goji berries, blueberries and nashi pear.
    There is nothing bad in there.
    In fact even Choice magazine gave chia seeds the thumbs up.
    And it gives you one less problem to think about during chemo.
  • Wildplaces
    Wildplaces Member Posts: 81
    Options
    Patsy - thank you - I have made it and it's good - no pears - I just had frozen berries.

I found this on yoga and it seemed achievable - well, at least half of the poses.

The Harvard link discusses the benefits of 12 minutes of daily yoga on osteoporosis.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/womens-health/yoga-another-way-to-prevent-osteoporosis

• Wildplaces
    Options
    This is beyond the scope of the thread and it's a tough talk to get through involving some familiarity with genomics, and a willingness to consider each individual slide.
    I can not post the link but anyone interested  - you have to google ( ahhh yes...) 

Prof Fabrice André - Goustave Roussy Paris ( he is young and very French) 

Vimeo : Overcoming resistance through genomically informed investigational therapy 

IMO it is one of the better talks addresses the question -
    what can we do to PREVENT recurrence ? 
    (...since it cropped up among my hopes for recipes.)
    At present not a lot in the sense of guarantees but I think/hope the answer might be very different in the near future. The talk is in two parts - what we can learn from Metastatic disease and how we can apply that to early stage cancer with the view to identify and target the group's most at risk based on genomics.

• PatsyN
    Options
    @Wildplaces As I'm about to start on Arimidex (extremely reluctantly) I will definitely google the young French professor, as this is an area where I'm collecting every bit of information I can, as well as asking everyone in the same situation, and there are many.
    As for the yoga I have one yoga position that covers every part of my body. It gets to the spot every time, often before I even know. My sister and niece are both yoga teachers and knowing that I would never go to any classes, they taught me this one "position" the name which escapes me at this moment. I've used it for everything and it always works, lol.
    I'm going to make a chia seed pudding right now. I'm so glad you liked it. It's so easy but good for you, just like my yoga position.
    Cheers
  • Wildplaces
    Options
    Patsy - if you have a moment please share on the yoga.
    Outside the above I have done one session hot yoga which I adored - I have little flexibility so I am certain I looked rhino trying to stretch but it felt great afterwards - it's hard to fit in with my day schedule.
    I have been on Arimidex for 16 months - I have joint pain, more on days I am stationary, hot flushes on and off, dry skin manageable,I like olive oil for that and for me it absorbs well, and my hair is thinning a little but nothing anyone would notice. I have found it doable - but we are all different. 
    (I ran a classical course in my treatment - mastectomy, axillary clearance by choice ( no recon by choice), dose dense chemo and radiation, Pallas trial (randomised to placebo). Your kindness in posting after ... made me read your profile - my only thought was given your intro whether there would be any benefit from CDKs -  I am not sure anyone can answer that with certainty but depending on your treatment priorities maybe worth a discussion with your oncologist. Nicole McCarthy is at the Wesley in Brisbane and I think she was/is on the PBAC for CDKs ( Ibrance being the first ) approval - I chatted to her prior to entering Pallas, but nothing I could say definitive came out of that consult. I know there is an Abemaciclib trial for early disease but it's a tighter inclusion criteria.
    I hope you take this in the manner in which was offered - just my rambling thoughts - nothing more.)
  • Wildplaces
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I got sidetracked with the CDKs.
    Patsy Thank you the chia, coconut milk and fruit is so easy to make the night before and so convenient to take with you when forced into very early morning!!  Brilliant for Me!!
  • PatsyN
    Options
    @Wildplaces Thanks for all that info. No one has mentioned CDK inhibitors to me and I will dfinitely mention that to my oncologist who I see on 10th. Regarding the yoga pose it is the 'warrier' footing in your link above. Your legs never move once in that position until you do the opposite side. All the action happens with your upper body, arms out and then gently stretch one arm up and bend at the waist toward the arm that is not stretching up. Then do the other arm. Then turn side ways and do the same again. Do not move your feet. The foot in front must be aligned with your bended knee and ....
    I don't know any of the terms and am not a yoga person and this is getting way too complicated without a video.
    I will get my niece to film the position and then put it up on this site.
    A picture tells a thousand words
    Cheers and I'm glad you tried the chia seeds.
  • Wildplaces
    Options
    PatsyN,
    I am for some reason assuming you are HR +/HER-Ve - maybe because we both the same chemo.
    If so the CDKs studied in early disease are
    Palbocliclb - Penelope study ( I think that is no,longer recruiting it was for chemo prior to surg) and Pallas ( where chemo is after surgery) 
    Abemaciclib ( a tighter tumour criteria - a higher tumour load ) Monarch E study still recruiting as far as I know.

You can find them using the "clinical trials.gov" site ( it will tell you recruiting, where, inclusion criteria) - just use their search engine - put in Breast Cancer and the drug name and a list comes up. Some are in Metastatic disease and some are used drugs in early disease.

It may not be relevant to you - and I won't say more because no one knows the results of this work yet - but worth five minute chat to your oncologist I would think. Maybe....
  • Wildplaces
    Options

This is a bit left field but interesting and since the local bookstore has Valter Longo book on nutrition and longevity - I thought it might be worth a look for some.
    The symposium is held in Paris - and Prof Laurence Zitvogel is on the panel.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v4ame4E1rtE

And for more on gut health, microbiome, immunotherapy and even a mention of the trendy CDK4/6 inhibitors here is an overview from Prof Zitvogel in medscape

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/888146#vp_2

• PatsyN
    Options
    @Wildplaces - I'm HER- oestrogen/progesterone positive, diagnosed at Stage IIIC with grade 2 cells, IDC, 2 tumours measuring 10cms in total. I had chemo first due to being inoperable. I've still not bought the Arimidex. 
  • Wildplaces
    Options
    I post from an iPad and I have lost messages a few times... despite drafts being saved.
    Patsy,

Everyone is different - I can only tell you what I did and what I know of data.
    I took my Arimidex as soon as chemo was over.
    Think about asking your oncologist about

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/study/NCT03155997?term=Abemaciclib&cond=Breast+Cancer&cntry=AU&rank=1#contacts

You can see inclusion criteria and locations.
  • Wildplaces
    Options
    This video reminded me of this thread.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ua-WVg1SsA

• melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    I honestly wish it were all that simple, I'm quite sure Jane McGrath had a healthy exercise regime and she also changed over to a healthy diet that included organic vegetables etc., 
This discussion has been closed.