• Wildplaces
    Wildplaces Member Posts: 81
    Options
    It didn't all post...

Romla
  • Wildplaces
    Options
    I have a feeling it will not let me post straight after. Take three...

Romla
  • TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    Options
    Hi Melinda, I’m with you. I had my recurrence 7 yrs after the first. It came back in the same breast despite clear margins and radiation. In fact,I secretly feel it may have come about as result of radiation. Don’t drink or smoke,healthy diet, fairly active,not overweight, breast fed 2 bubs- cranked up the health n exercise after the first bc- still came back! Most important thing is to have peace of mind,stress less, do what makes you happy and eat the chocolate!! 
    Cancer free for 8 yrs now.
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    I support what @Molly001 has said. There are many fragile people on this blog seeking support and we must be mindful of our choice of words to not appear judgmental and derisory. All are welcome here as are all points of view.
  • Wildplaces
    Options
    I have picked two papers out of that review.
    Statistics is one thing - they can be manipulated to some extent but data - raw data is another.
    If clinicians are not discussing this they should.

Both of the 2  metaanalysis studies ranged in numbers over 10,000 and the improvement was 30% and over.

Molly (and everyone else ) - I wrote this just as you posted.
    I thought about not bothering...  but I think it's important - the stuff on exercise matters. 

I will bow out of this discussion and thread.
    A big genuine thank you to those who have shared on the thread topic.
    Romla - finally
  • Romla
    Options
     @Wildplaces nobody has been asked to withdraw from either discussion/thread/blog -  just to be a little careful with the written word when communicating on the blog.We have to accept others may have different ideas based on their circumstance and respect their right to .How about staying and let’s move on ?
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    My breast care nurse in Adelaide stressed tbe only thing was to try and inxrease exercise to reduce tecurrenxe risk. Which I continue ti fo. Sadly I don't hod much hope if it reducibg any risk as prior breast cancer I exercised 30-60 minutes a day at least 6 days a week. Unfortunately for me chemo knocked the stuffin out if me and it has been a long recovery. I now manage 3 to 4 x 1 hour sessions a week. Some weeks I can't do it though as get overtired. But it's getting better. I don't believe it will reduce my risk of breast cancer but hope it continues to improve my overall health. It certainly reduces letrozole side effects and I include weights at least in 2 so I reduce my osteoporosis risk.

I am almost back to healthy weight following bc treatment...on which I stacked on lots of weight. 

This facebook site has some wonderful recipe ideas for anyone interested. Lean  proteins, lots of veggies and low fat alternative ideas are central to her meals.

https://www.facebook.com/feedmehealthywithanna/
  • Jandy232
    Jandy232 Member Posts: 15
    Options
    I think no matter what we do it can always come back. I have unfortunately read many posts/stories about women who have done all the right things and yet the damn cancer still comes back. It's one of the reasons I keep coming back to this site six years on from my diagnosis and treatment ie to remind myself to remain vigilant and not get complacent. Cancer is an insidious disease - or set of diseases - and it seems the medical profession is some way off understanding how it kicks off. The idea of blaming ourselves or others for being in this unlucky club is just awful.

Having said that as the other ladies have pointed out there are things you can do to minimise your risk. Personally I do heaps of exercise. I was exercising before diagnosis but I've stepped it up a bit in recent years to include quite a lot of running. I never would have imagined myself as a runner in the past - just not the athletic type - but I've become quite an enthusiast these days and feel so amazing afterwards I just know it must be doing me good.

I read a lot during my treatment and the year or two after about nutrition and cancer and yes the absolute best and most agreed upon thing you can do is eat lots and lots of vegetables, especially the cruciferous ones ie broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, kale etc. I try, but should probably eat more. I also take a supplement called diindolylmethane which - despite it's scary sounding name -  in basic terms is the substance in cruciferous vegetables thought to reduce/stabilise estrogen levels in the body. There is some scientific evidence to suggest it might be helpful but I don't think all the evidence on it is in yet so do your own research if you're interested in it.

I have also read that there is some evidence for green tea being helpful in minimising the risk of recurrence. Flax seed meal is another one that pops up a lot. So I try and include those two things in my diet each day. I usually sprinkle the flax seed meal on cereal or mix it up with avocado or peanut butter on toast. Maybe they won't make any difference but I figure they can't hurt. 

The other things I'm conscious of are trying to maintain a healthy weight  (not always easy) and minimising alcohol consumption. Ideally you would probably give the booze up but I do like a glass of wine now and again.

And yes you do have to enjoy your life. Do what makes you happy. 

• Molly001
    Molly001 Member Posts: 419
    Options
    You are an inspiration @deanne you should be very proud of your achievements and keep sharing to inspire others. Some of us move forward by controlling the things we can and others by accepting we cannot control everything. Great post.
  • Romla
    Options
    Exactly @Deanne. Well said.Deanne said:

It gives me HOPE to think that maybe, for me, there are things I can do to give myself a slightly better chance of staying cancer free. At the very least, making some healthy changes has given me a better quality of life in the last 5 years. Eating a healthier diet and excerising more consistently and at a higher level than before bc helps me to mentally and emotionally cope with the risk of recurrence.

This discussion has been closed.