This Christmas I will be.......

Options

Comments

• Flaneuse
    Flaneuse Member Posts: 899
    Options
    @TeePee You've got more than your share of challenges, then. All the best with chemo and the gluten-free program.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Oh @TeePee, timing! All things being equal you might still feel OKish as you'll still be in the stage where the steroids will be keeping you 'up' so to speak. It was day three when I started to come down.

I'm the trifle maker in my family. What do you put in your Christmas trifle? K xox
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    @teepee What a lovely idea to have your daughter put it together.  She will appreciate it in years to come.  My Mum made the best trifle (actually, she would make two for Christmas - one deadly and one alcohol free) but I never helped her make it, although I knew what she put in it.  I think I've recreated it now, to the point that I don't even get asked what I'd like to bring to some occasions - I get assigned.  That said, we're usually trifled out by Christmas Day so often go with a pav and a pudding.
  • kmakm
    Options
    Same question to you @Sister! What do you put in yours? 
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Line the dish with sliced peaches (as many as you can fit in), then cover with slices of jam roll (raspberry jam).  Pour orange juice over to soak (for boozy, sherry and oj...or just sherry!) - I use Daily Juice as it tastes better.  You want the cake moist but not swimming.  Next layer is raspberry jelly - I let it set in the trifle bowl.  It does mix quite a bit with the oj and the cake.  Then thick custard, almost a blancmange consistency, and not toooo sweet.  Before serving, add whipped cream, again sweet, but not too sweet.  Top with smashed up Flake (I'm sure their sales go through the roof at Christmas) and strawberries, blueberries and raspberries.  I tend not to do the alcoholic version as the kids always hoe into it and it also means that no-one has to worry about getting a dui from the dessert (but it is delish).
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,595
    Options
    Sounds YUM!!   I had the custard still warm once and it melted the jelly  .... it all turned to soup!!    :( 
  • BlackWidow
    BlackWidow Member Posts: 268
    Options
    As everyone I know goes off to do the family thing I will be staying home and cooking a dinner for one.  I will have a turkey breast roll (lots of cold meat for later), spuds and other vegies - unless I am feeling lazy and jsut make a salad. I will have a Lions club Xmas cake and pudding, though. I have put some decorations up so the house feels festive to a degree,  Hope all have a happy and safe festive season, whatever your circumstances.  Anne
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,595
    Options
    @BlackWidow. .... Keith and I will be on our own on Xmas Day too - he has moderate dementia so we’ll see how the days unfold from now on!   Enjoy your lovely meal .... don’t forget that most RSL Clubs etc have Xmas and New Year dinner celebrations for those who may like a little company .... Our RSL is a wonderful  community based club that is very inclusive of everyone. Xx
  • Flaneuse
    Options
    @kezmusc It's 38 deg here at the moment. Hate to think what Christmas Day is going to be like.
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Options
    Yeah we've got about 36 and a gale force hot wind behind it.  Nasty.Where are you @Flaneuse
  • kmakm
    Options
    I look at the weather. If it's 25° or under, it's a roast. If it's over, it's fancy salads. The latter is a lot more work so I always cross my fingers for the former!
  • Flaneuse
    Options
    @kezmusc Fitzgibbon in Brisbane. Hot wind blowing too.
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Options
    Not too far from me.  I'm at Purga just outside of Ipswich.
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    13* was our high today Flaneuse..... with RAIN woo hoo 40mm of it in 24hrs more than months and months of rain combined.