Our Gardens

Options

Comments

• Annie C
    Annie C Member Posts: 849
    Options
    @Mira
    That little lemon tree should do well now. I have killed every lemon tree that I have planted. Even the ones that are supposed to be tropical suited! I have done the maths, it is cheaper for me to buy a bottle of lemon juice or a lemon than to grow a lemon  tree!

• Mira
    Mira Member Posts: 678
    Options
    @Annie C  I'm so proud, its got 6 little lemons growing at the moment!!  Like so many of us, it battles on despite the odds :smile:
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    You've got to start somewhere @mira, it all takes time.  Mine was a completely naked half acre with an asbestos box sitting in the middle of it twenty years ago.
    The one good thing about being off work during treatment for a couple of years was the extra time it gave me to work on the garden. Most of the plants have come from markets, scratch-and-dent trolleys at nurseries, friends gardens or are selfseeding annuals. I got 30 metres of mulch last year for a box of beer (a strategic offer to the council tree crew on a hot Friday afternoon) which has been a key component of the Redneck Rehab program as well as helping to keep the weeds down and drought proof the place a bit. 50 rose bushes may be getting a bit carried away and the new native section is, perhaps, a step too far but it's lovely to be surrounded by plants
  • Mira
    Options
    @Zoffiel That was genius swapping beer for mulch!!!   It does take time.  I've been working on improving the soil and digging up all the tree roots.  It was full of little rocks when I started, which have been transferred to my front garden to make a little rockery.  I'm still pulling a lot out every time I dig, but I will get there.  :smile: 

50 roses is awesome!  Are they as difficult to grow as I think they are?  I'm thinking of putting a bougainvillea in the front garden, but a rose would be awesome as well. 
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Gotta start somewhere @Mira! In my experience it's pretty difficult to kill a rose.
  • Mira
    Options
    @kmakm absolutely!! :smile:
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    It depends where you live @mira (apart from the obvious difficulty of growing a thorny shrub inside a piece of IT equipment) They don't mind the cold, but some varieties are better suited to tropical areas than others. 
  • Annie C
    Options
    @Zoffiel
    Ah zoffiel is harking back to her Top End experience! Swapping cartons for required items is currency. 
  • Mira
    Options
    @Zoffiel My computer that I live in is in Brisbane.  If Roses are a plant and forget plant, they'd be good for me :smile:
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    The only problem with roses is the pruning.  Here, the alpaca and kangaroos do it for me!  I have a tendency to plant lavender everywhere 
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,374
    Options

• kmakm
    Options
    Can't see those images on my phone @Afraser.
  • Annie C
    Options
    @Zoffiel
    I can picture a lovely warm bath, a glass of a good red and a beautiful sunset. Bliss
  • kmakm
    Options
    I love the idea of a bath outside. Straight to the bucket list.