How to prioritise self care?

Options

Comments

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    So true @AllyJay, as usual. My psychologist has asked me to try saying "you deserve it" to myself when I am feeling guilty about taking time to look after myself. I'm giving it a red hot try.
  • AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 945
    Options
    Good for you @kmakm...if you don't behave yourself in that regard, I might be forced to knit you more bedsocks!!! You have been warned...

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    Digging around in the brain is tiring work all by itself. Being prepared to do it at all deserves some serious credit. My short term counsellor did an excellent job in teaching me digging and trenching skills - helps if the digging doesn't fall in on you. Then I could go at my own pace. Delegating better, prioritising, saying no all helped my bad work habits. Then I could focus on why I had them. Fear of ageing of course. And why that? Took me another year to face the fear of dying adequately. Is it worth it? Absolutely from my point of view as long as the purpose - to live a better happier life - is squarely at the front. 
  • Sarnicad
    Sarnicad Member Posts: 318
    Options
    For me I guess it is about finding the time to do the things my medical team are insisting that I do. I still have active treatment in play so I see it as an extension of that treatment.   That said it is still hard to ignore the crap fest that is my life and do the thing I need to do

today I think I managed about 14 fights with the family in the time I was home which was only about 6 hours all day - special talent right there I think. One with the nearly 18 yo boy about the state of his room - that one lasted a fair while!  
  • kmakm
    Options
    @Sarnicad I've given up having that fight with the 19yo. If he wants to live like a swamp pig he can.
  • Sarnicad
    Sarnicad Member Posts: 318
    Options
    @kmakm if the permeating odor wasn’t so bad I’d probably give up too but the stink makes me feel sick so I persist
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    What is that stench @sarnicad? Or perhaps it's best not to know.

I could never understand how someone who stood under the shower until the hot water ran out and never wore clothes more than once before they went back in the wash could generate such a powerful pong. I'm not sure cleaning their rooms makes any difference, it's like essence of teen permeates the paint..
  • Artferret
    Artferret Member Posts: 259
    Options
    @kmakm
    Kate, i get why you don't want to ask for help from your friends. You get to the point where all you want to do is to have the ability to do it yourself, and that's part of wanting and getting control back in your life. I know i felt that way. Having said this though i don't know what i would have done without the help that i had and still have. Getting back control in my life was the best feeling ever, even if things fall apart every now and again but that's life.
    As for the teenage floordrobe, i cured my girls of that very quickly with the suggestion that if they left their clothes on the floor for too long spiders would move in! Neither of them were fond of spiders!
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    @artferret We get the odd scorpion and centipede around here but even that doesn't deter my youngest!
  • kmakm
    Options
    @Artferret I've deployed that one occasionally. Works occasionally... But the person it works best on is me! I don't put clothes on the floor because I do not fancy being bitten by a white tail spider... Can't stand spiders of any sort. Eurgh!
  • Artferret
    Options
    Crikey, Sister, scorpions and centipedes! If those aren't deterents then i don't know what is. Though my dad used to get snakes under the bed when he was a kid, but he did live out the back of Yea on a farm, near the Goulburn River...
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Years ago, I woke up in the middle of the night, feeling as if someone was rolling a rubber band around on my arm - you know that burning sensation as it rips the hairs out...  Turned out a centipede had joined me in bed...from memory it was about 10-12cm long.  Hurt for hours.
  • Artferret
    Options
    @Sister
    I could think of better bed fellows to have...
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    Gargh! @sister.. I had one in my sleeping bag which thankfully didn't bite me but The Horror. Having a large crunchy thing in your bedding..... Just ghastly.