Our Gardens

Options

Comments

• Sophilina
    Sophilina Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi ladies! First time poster here 👋🏻

I am 35 years old and I was diagnosed with with hormone positive IDC on the 19th of May this year. 

I am 9 days out from a single mastectomy and axillary clearance. Prior to my diagnosis and surgery I was a very keen gardener. I’ve been worried that I won’t be as capable of performing these kind of tasks anymore due to the risk of infection and lymphedema in my affected arm (which happens to be my dominant arm, d’oh!).

This thread gives me hope that my gardening days aren’t in fact, over 🙂 I know that gloves are more important than ever now (I got away without using them in the past!) is there anything else I should be wary of? Has your BC diagnosis changed the way you garden? 

I have pulled out a few weeds here and there using my unaffected arm but haven’t been game enough to use the affected arm yet! Before my diagnosis I had intended to pursue a career in horticulture, I hope this is still a possibility for me 🤞🏼

Thanks 🌷🌹🌺🌸🌼🌻

• Locksley
    Locksley Member Posts: 915
    Options
    Hi @Sophilina welcome to the club no-one wants to join.   I would suggest you do the exercises they tell you to do.  I didn't always do them after my mastectomy and I have a little bit to go for  strength and stretch. 

Fatigue after chemo and radiation slowed me down a lot but now 12 months on I am gardening again.  I can't do it for as long as I used to but for me the letrolze medication I now take daily for 10 years means I can't stay down on my knees for a long time but age and weight add to this.

I am sure you  will be able to continue a career in horticulture.

• June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,830
    Options
    @Sophilina, sometimes these things appear to be worse than they are.  Good hygiene is the answer.  Yes, wear gardening gloves but still wash wash wash afterwards.
    You can do anything you want to do in the future, just think about what you are doing and how you are doing it.  Be cautious but not scared.
    My dominant arm is my mastectomy side but nothing stops me in the garden except my arthritis which prevents me bending properly - and I have to admit it is not always gloved gardening but I do wash well after - I am 6 years on ....
    All the best.  Look forward to news of your new career !
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    Hi @Sophilina
    After a mastectomy and axillary clearance, I did unfortunately get lymphoedema but it affects very little and I can still work in the garden (I am not a good gardener but sort of enjoy it!) so don’t be put off doing what you like. Gloves by all means (I invariably forget!) and watch out for rose thorns. Most of all, any scratches, stop, wash, disinfect straight away. Lymphoedema can be very manageable, just very unpredictable as to getting it. You may find it useful to talk with a good, qualified lymphoedema therapist for advice on protection/early detection. Best wishes.
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,959
    Options
    Dear @Sophilina,

Happy gardening and best wishes from jennyss in Western NSW
  • Sophilina
    Options
    Thank you for the warm welcome and encouragement, ladies!

I have been doing the recommended daily exercises 3 times per day. They are helping a lot even though I’m not sure if I’m doing all of them 100% correctly (I was just given a sheet of exercises to follow - I’m assuming this is the norm?). I have been hearing a lot about the benefits of lymphatic drainage massage post surgery but unsure when is the best time to start?

I am still awaiting my post op report, chemo has been indicated as highly likely. I am hoping that I will be well enough throughout this phase of treatment to still potter around in the garden as it has been a huge benefit to my mental well-being throughout my life and no doubt will continue to be.

Thank you for sharing your experiences (and your gardens) with me 💚 I am so comforted by your optimism and support!
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    You may find this BCNA program of benefit as you find your strength to continue treatment and your everyday life

Take care and Best wishes

Strengthen your recovery (bcna.org.au)
  • Sophilina
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks so much @iserbrown 🙂
  • Sophilina
    Options
    Sounds like you’re making great progress @StrongCoffee! Archery and yoga, wow! 😱

I am nearly 3 weeks out from surgery and feeling more positive. Not babying my affected arm nearly as much but I am waiting for my snazzy new gardening gloves to arrive in the post before I really get stuck into things!
  • StrongCoffee
    StrongCoffee Member Posts: 128
    Options
    I hope your recovery goes smoothly @Sophilina and you're out in the garden in spring. Weeks 2 and 3 I felt noticeably better each day. Then I plateaued for a week or so (I think because I started doing a bit more) but after that it was steady improvement again (just not as noticeable as those rapid first weeks).
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,584
    Options
    @Locksley - a good old fashioned Camellia!  LOVE IT
  • ChezaH
    ChezaH Member Posts: 549
    Options

Locksley said:

Just picked these lovely camillas to bring me some joy. 

They look awesome xx