Our Gardens

Options

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,600
    Options
    Gorgeous @Locksley - do they have a lovely scent too? 

I am always disappointed that some lovely ones have had the scent 'bred out of them' to achieve a stunning look, but no scent :(  I've been known to buy a bouquet of roses & then visit a chemist & spray them with the 'tester' Rose Perfume scent!  One recipient of the flowers said "How lovely - they normally don't have any scent''!  LOL. I didn't confess!

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Beautiful @Locksley
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,380
    Options
    @Locksley I saw the picture and instantly smelled the perfume. Lovely
  • Annie C
    Annie C Member Posts: 849
    Options
    An update on the Greater Bower Bird whose bower is just twenty feet from our front verandah.
    Back in August 2021 I wrote of our resident Greater Bower Bird's antics in "thievery" and his ability to raid our new laundry/ second shower and second toilet building site for suitable decorations for his bower.
    Well, we don't learn. Actually we don't learn. At the tender ages of 73 and 70, not only are we building a complete new laundry and ripping apart our existing bathroom, we are undertaking all the building work ourselves! Oh Man!
    Now back to Bob Bowerbird. Husband discovered yesterday that the container of nuts, bolts, washers, screws and rivets was upturned and empty. "Bob" had been raiding again. The container had a lid and locking device. Did not stop Bob.
    A raid on his bower found the items.

The bower bird has built a front and back verandah using bits of hardiplank and concrete all nicely decorated with screws, rivets, nuts, bolts and washers. One of the pieces of concrete was "decorated" with a blue ring constructed from a piece of blue plastic artfully placed at the front of his approach verandah.

Has his efforts attracted women? Well he has two female bower birds hanging around. However as fast as Bob is decorating, they are pulling it to bits!
    As for us, we have now placed the container in a strong lockable metal box complete with padlock. Let's see what Bob can do with that.

• Annie C
    Options
    This is the container of items retrieved from Bob's Bower. Note the fasten down lid and yet Bob was dexterous enough to get it opened.
    There were over 60 items retrieved. I am imagining the number of back and forth trips needed to steal each item.
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,834
    Options
    OMG, isn't nature wonderful (yes, really).  More clever than most men I know !!  🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
  • FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,538
    Options
    Omg I love Bob!! 😄😄🥰🥰
  • Keeping_positive1
    Keeping_positive1 Member Posts: 555
    Options
    Bob the Builder! 
  • Annie C
    Options
    His antics are so enjoyable especially when I have my first cuppa of the morning on the verandah at sunrise and watch his scurrying here and there with beakfulls of "contraband".

• Annie C
    Options
    Here is Bob, Minister of Silly Walks, strutting his stuff.

• jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,961
    Options
    That is one driven bird! Please keep us informed........ on your laundry and bathroom and Bob.
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,285
    Options
    My poor garden has been ruined by floods in Brisbane.  The rain belted down and water rose so fast. All the bark ended up in the back corner of the garden and my garden statues went with it.  The sprinkler system is all over the place. This will take a long time to sort out.

• jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Wish I could be there and help clean up.
  • Annie C
    Options
    Oh Cath, as an avid gardener I am devastated for you. My garden is constantly evolving, however only by degrees, never in one foul swoop.
    Time for a milk crate to sit on, a pair of cutters of your choice, a wheelbarrow, gardening gloves, a good mug of whatever spurs you on and attack the damage.
    The biggest and warmest of Kimberley hugs to you.

• Locksley
    Locksley Member Posts: 925
    Options
    @Cath62 I'm ao sorry to your lovely garden in this state.