What book are you reading?

Options

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,379
    Options
    My Aunt Doris (now there’s a name you don’t hear much any more!) sent me an inexpensively printed book (from Boots the chemist!) every birthday and Christmas too. She sent the classics - Jane Eyre, Kenilworth, Black Beauty, The Secret Garden, Wuthering Heights, Little Women, Pride and Prejudice and so on. She shaped my reading for the rest of my life.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    My Mum was a Doris - and she would have told you there was a very good reason for the name not to be heard anymore!

I'm currently reading a YA book, "Sidekicks" as we have the author, Will Kostakis, coming in to talk today. 
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    'Call me Evie' by J.P. Pomare. I have no idea what's going on and can't tell if that's because it's a terrible book or because I'm to fried to process it. 
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,446
    Options
    @kmakm
    Well that was a different book "The bus on Thursday"

and the Ending ? 

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    @SoldierCrab Isn't it weird?! I must say I liked it a lot. Funny as well. I found the descent into psychosis really effective. Clever.
  • Flaneuse
    Flaneuse Member Posts: 899
    Options
    Am currently reading Nardine Gordimer's "A Sport of Nature". Last week I read her "Occasion for Loving", which I had picked up at the library quite by chance, thinking it was decades since I'd read anything of hers. Now I've become addicted again. She is amazing. Well deserved her Nobel Prize for Literature. These pages are taking me back a long way to the days when we just hoped something could be done about apartheid in South Africa and argued about it - never confident it would ever happen.
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,446
    Options
    @kmakm
    YES I loved it but definitely a bit weird.... 

• Artferret
    Artferret Member Posts: 259
    Options
    Currently reading The art of Lynley Dodd. Loved her Hairy Maclary books when our daughters were small.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    At the moment, I'm reading trash and loving it but I'm also partway through Pain & Prejudice by Gabrielle Jackson about lack of recognition of the reality of female pain (ring any bells, ladies?).

@Artferret My kids adored Dodd's books (particularly a hard to find one call Open the Door) and they are so much fun to read.  When I was working in public libraries, I always had a couple put aside in case I was called on to fill in for storytime.
  • Kat09
    Kat09 Member, Dragonfly Posts: 269
    Options
    @Zoffiel I read Call me Evie also and it does have a twist at the end. You might like JP Deleany's books The Girl Before and Believe Me both really good reads, his 3rd book The Perfect Wife, I also enjoyed but was a bit different to the 1st 2.
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,834
    Options
    Drawing on deep scientific research and Dr Gabor Mate's acclaimed clinical work, When the Body Says No provides the answers to critical questions about the mind-body link - and the role that stress and our emotional makeup play in an array of common diseases such as arthritis, cancer, diabetes, heart disease, irritable bowel syndrome and multiple sclerosis.

• Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,135
    Options
    I have done a lot more reading since my diagnosis partly because I now work a lot less in a paid capacity.
    I have recently read the following fiction:
    The Lost Man
    The Nightingale

and non fiction :

When Breath Becomes Air
    Dopesick
    Bad Blood

I can’t say any of them were “ cheery” but I found them all totally engrossing.

I was also given “Betoota-isms” for Xmas and it was very light and entertaining.
  • FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,538
    Options
    @June1952 absolutely wonderful book 👏🏻👏🏻. I definitely found myself in the breast cancer chapter. 
    He emphasises the mind/body link that seems to have been pushed aside and ignored for far too long. Very much in accordance with what Dr Bernie Siegel writes in his book. 
    These books require that we take most of the control for our health. I’m not sure enough people are ready to do that unfortunately 🙁. Let’s hope books like this one enlighten everyone to the path to true healing ♥️
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,292
    Options
    @June1952 i just ordered that book and should have it to read later this week. I think intuitively there is definitely a mind body connection and health reflects that. In my own reflection of how I am, I know I have not managed my stress so well for all sorts of reasons but bc certainly changed my approach to things. I do believe my bc was due to overwhelming stress in my life that went on for an extended period of time. It created a perfect storm. Anyway I hope I get much out of this read.
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,292
    Options
    I just finished reading this book. Highly recommend for a positive read. I couldn't put this down and read it in an afternoon.