What book are you reading?

Options

Comments

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    Peter Hoeg 'Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow.' An old favourite that I revisited on an absolutely bloody endless train trip to Sydney last week. The concepts are so elegant and there is nothing like reading about freezing conditions when it's 40 degrees outside. A really good novel for bookclubs, people either love it or hate it so the conversations are always lively.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    I love re-reading favourites. I have just about worked out most of the language conundrums in Riddley Walker, but haven't thought of Miss Smilla for ages. Thank you for the reminder, on the Christmas reading list. 
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    Yep, Ridley Walker presented certain challenges. I'm not a big fan of dystopian fiction, but I do like authors bold enough to play with language and the way our brains process the written word. I also like Peter Carey's True Story of Ned Kelly. Around here the mention of that book can have people frothing at the mouth, but I thought it was clever.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Just finished reading "A Man Called Ove".  I had it sitting on the shelf for weeks.  Devoured it in a day (helped by having to take youngest to swimming).  Thanks for the recommendation, @Jane_Elizabeth

I read a YA book (as I do) the other day that was really powerful - "Brontide" by Sue McPherson.  Done in interview format and a really quick read but it didn't need to be any longer.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Finally got round to reading 'The Rosie Project'. Great fun.
  • kitkatb
    kitkatb Member Posts: 442
    Options
    Just finished "Emperor the Field of Swords" by Conn Iggulden. One of four books about Julius Caesar.  About to start a Jeffrey Deaver book.    
  • kmakm
    Options
    @kitkatblove Ancient Rome, and I love Julius Caesar stories. Any good? Do you recommend?!
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    Have you read the Colleen McCullough Masters of Rome series of books @kmakm ?
  • kmakm
    Options
    @Romla As they were published! Went to a literary luncheon once and got a first edition hardback autographed! Superb.
  • Romla
    Options
    I found a little treasure recently @kmakm called “ Ooty preserved “about Ootacamund in its day the Queen of Indian Hill Stations.
  • kitkatb
    kitkatb Member Posts: 442
    Options
    @kmakm  Absolutely fantastic books.  I say books because it was 1 of a series of 4.   Also includes "Emperor Gates of Rome",  "Emperor the Death of the Kings" and "Emperor the Gods of War"  I got given them and then left them for a year or two as big reads all of them  600 -700 pages but once I started I was all consumed as takes him from his childhood through to his death.  Gates of Rome is the first one try and get it from your library and see if you like it.  You'll be hooked.  If you can't I'll try and find them all here for you and post them to you.  xox
  • kmakm
    Options
    Fiction @Romla? I'm planning to go to Ooty in a couple of years with my nephew.
  • kmakm
    Options
    Thanks @kitkatb!
  • Romla
    Options
    No @kmakm an excolonial revisiting 20 years after independence in 1967.I stayed there years ago and loved it.Simla is top of my list but never got there.Book is available online or can mail it to you when I’m finished.