What book are you reading?

Comments

• jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,951
    Dear @kitkatb - OMG!! How do you cook a barramundi? And what a wonderful day on the water.
  • kitkatb
    kitkatb Member Posts: 442
    Thanks  @jennyss It was a great day.  That was the first time on the water in a year since diagnosis and treatment or close too.  Going through this shit of a disease really does make you stop and appreciate the little things so much more.  i found myself just closing my eyes and taking it all in like the wind in your face and just the smell of the ocean.  The Barra was yummy.  One fillet gave us a full meal and hubby asked if could pan fry the pieces dipped in a little flour then served with Jasmine rice and some chilli , garlic and onion vinegar I make.  Nothing ever gets wasted as we eat the wings as well as the the back bone and some of morsels tied up in the gut. ( that bit I don't eat though )
    Have an awesome weekend. xo
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    @kitkatb What a glorious thing, to be back doing what you love after the year you've just had! Marvellous, well done. K xox
  • kitkatb
    Small steps hey @kmakm  I'll take a positive when I can get it to compensate for those shitty days.  xo
  • Flaneuse
    Flaneuse Member Posts: 899
    @kitkatb I adore fish wings - especially when crispy. Sounds like you had some bliss for a while.  :)
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,522
    Well done @kitkatb - that is just AWESOME!  I am so jealous!!  It is YEARS since I have caught a Barra ..... tho I hope to rectify that in July when up in Darwin meeting up with @Annie C !!  Are you anywhere nearby?  Even if I don’t Barra fish, I hope to have a go at the milkfish!  ;) 

i am so happy for you  that you’ve been able to get out again and hope you are able to continue to do it, after you’ve rested up from this one!  I love the smell and sounds of the water/sea (even if I get seasick in boats!  :( )

do you have to travel far to get out on the water!?  What did you catch him on?  Lure or bait?

Take care and looking forward to seeing the results of your next outing xxx
  • Annie C
    Annie C Member Posts: 849
    @arpie
    Darwin won't know what has hit it when you and I meet up. Only 5 months to go!

Shall we be on our best behaviour or just normal?

• Flaneuse
    Flaneuse Member Posts: 899
    @Annie C and @arpie - oh, don't behave yourselves, please! And take photos.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Now reading Ford's second book "Boys will be boys".  Much less over the top than the first one and interesting.
  • arpie
     And my brother up there is a dentist who has worked all over the NT  (and for princes In the UK and Emirates) ,,....... so wouldn’t want to embarrass him with his friends and colleagues!

But we MUST go fishing!   @kitkatb .... any suggestions??
  • kitkatb
    Hi @arpie,   That's a tough one as we usually had the boat.  You can try for the Milk fish on bread with fly. They turn up in the dry season generally.  We have caught quite a few fish around the harbour it has been a long while though now but you could try the wharf they used to fish off that.  If you feel like a bit of a drive head down to shady camp as quite a few people fish from the bank there.  ( be very very careful though with the croc's always plenty around )   You do occasionally see some idiots with a cast net in the water waist deep. !!  crazy crazy.  I have worked at two different places in Arnhemland where  people have been taken by croc's. Its just heart wrenching.
    You two are just going to have a blast and @Annie C  you should definitely not behave yourselves.  Whats the saying "Go big or Go home "  LOL  xox
  • arpie
    We hope to wet a line somewhere!!  Yes, we went to the Gove Peninsula with my brother & whilst Keith & I stayed on the beach - he went out for a swim, which I thought was incredibly stupid - as there was one croc slide halfway along the beach ....... 

Back on track .... Keith is currently reading Raelene Boyle's autobiography and finding it riveting.   She was denied the chance of a gold medal twice.  

Once, she was disqualified for 'breaking' (which she disputed) but was not allowed to compete in her 'pet event' the 200m at the Olympics in 1976.  Showing the start of the race in slow motion at the 1.10 minute (using the settings wheel you can slow it down to .25) - it was quite obviously the girl in lane 5 who moved first ..... 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJWB-jSmn_k

And of course the other one where she came 2nd to the East German who later admitted taking steroids - but she was never disqualified & Raelene was never given her Gold Medal  grrrr

I'll read it after Keith finishes!
  • Annie C
    Annie C Member Posts: 849
    @kitkatb
    I love Darwin. If I ever have to leave my little town because travelling for medical became too difficult, Darwin is where I would head.

My parents were in Darwin from 1937 to 1942. My older sister was born there and was 3 weeks old when she and my mother were forcibly evacuated on the SS Koolinda.

My father was still in Darwin  when the Japanese bombed. He had just left the Post Office, heard the sound of planes, looked up and realised they were not friendly.

He owned a block of land (as well as a house at Vesteys Beach where Darwin High School is) just near the post office. He had dug drainage ditches on the block and took shelter in one of them.

My father was employed by the Public Works Department and worked on the airstrips along the Stuart Highway.

My parents never returned to Darwin to live after the war. I think that having lost the land and house and having to leave everything they had worked for behind affected them deeply.

• arpie
    So your parents werent compensated for the loss of land and house?   That is tough.  

My dad was in Darwin for the bombing and was injured which contributed to his early death at age 50. He was the Army dentist.