What book are you reading?

Comments

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    I'm currently re-reading "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society".  A few pages in and I don't want to put it down.
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Agree with you all the “Australia” movie was dreadful and like @Sister I was unable to watch more than a little - so disappointing given cast and crew.
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    “The women in black “MadeleineSt John and the movie is excellent too.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,523
    It was, wasn't it, @Sister?  In the end, I decided that they must have WANTED it to be cringeworthy!  :)

Even the whole 'acting style' was 'over the top' ..... (not that I've ever seen a single movie with Nicole Kidman in that I've actually liked ..... yet!)

• Sister
    Nicole's not one of my favourites @arpie

Loved "Women in Black" when I read it years ago and absolutely adore the movie (saw it again on Saturday night for my mother-in-law's birthday and even my 16 yo son enjoyed it - hubby cried).
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,523
    I MUST GO AND SEE IT!!  It has been on my list, @Sister

ohhhhh ..... nice hubby  xx
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    The Dig Tree, Sarah Murgatroyd. Interesting and well written. I tried to read Peter Fitzsimmons  Burke and Wills, but gave up. I thought it was rubbish--clunky and choppy and too theatrical.
    The story of a poorly planned, overburdened expedition into the wilderness led by a reckless and inexperienced egotist with an unreliable temperament....Hmm. That sounds familiar :)
  • ~Millie~
    ~Millie~ Member Posts: 61
    I've read a lot of ebooks this year. Have them handy in my bag whilst waiting for BC appointments :) . My favourites are
    This is how it
    always is, Laurie Frankle - a heartfelt, amusing, beautiful story about resilience and a family sticking together. Ghosted, Rosie Walsh - love story with a difference. The Other Wife, Michael Robotham - a husband with a massive secret. The Secrets Between Us, Thrity Umrigar - a beautiful story about a Grandmother and Granddaughter set in India. The Space Between Us, Thrity Umrigar - continues the story. The Extraordinary Life of Sam Hell, Robert Dugoni - despite the book flap overview, this is a very engaging story, beautifully written, a mother's love for her child. The Light We Lost, Jill Santopolo - love story. The Leavers - Lisa Ko, an amazing story of presumptions and economic migrants. xx
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    What a great list @~Millie~. I'm a passionate Indophile so I've made note of the Umrigar books. Looking forward to reading it. K xox
  • ~Millie~
    ~Millie~ Member Posts: 61
    Thanks @kmakm. You might also enjoy Girls Burn Brighter by Shobha Rao. A powerful story about Indian girlfriends and their life journey. xx
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    @~Millie~ Noted! I'm hanging out for A Suitable Girl...
  • Sister
    Got one for the weekend - The Land Before Avocado.  Australia in the 60s and 70s.  I have to read it for the title if nothing else!
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,354
    Rusted Off - a sharp insight to rural politics.
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    edited November 2018
  • lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    @Sister, I've heard of that one. Like the title,  too. 
    Just finished Jodi Picoult, Small Great Things.
    Now reading the Leigh Sales book, Any Ordinary Day