Article - Memory loss following breast cancer treatment

Options

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,603
    Options
    Hey!  I actually send text messages to MYSELF if I think of something I need to do if I am not at home (or think of something I need to follow up later .....)  LOL ..... cos I DO check my phone now & then!

Now - HOW DIFFICULT is it to remember to take your bloody tablets??  

I am having SERIOUS difficulty remembering to take my tablets EVERY NIGHT!!   I've asked Hubby (who has dementia & is more forgetful than me) to remind me - but THAT doesn't happen very often .... usually, when I finally remember to take them, I ask him if he's taken HIS ..... and he hasn't either!!  

Hmmm ... I wonder if I can schedule a Tablet Reminder about 7pm every day on my phone?

SO ..... we're a couple of FORGETFUL OLD FARTS  ....... 
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Options
    I have to leave mine in the middle of the kitchen bench so I remember. I also tell hubby when I have taken it because no doubt I will ask him 15 mins later if I have or not.  .
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    I try to make sure that I write everything down 
  • Sister
    Options
    @arpie I do sometimes feel that this must be what the start of dementia is like.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,603
    edited August 2018
    Options

You are not alone re the feeling of 'dementia', @Sister - like you - I have a list - and try to write items down as I notice we are running down (as does Keith!)

Between Keith & I, we come up with some very interesting shopping lists!!  (I could have SWORN I put that down!)  Whilst Keith is ADAMANT he has put 'his requests' down ..... and even showing him the list (without it) isn't proof to him that he didn't!!!

Then, when I get home without numerous items .... we BOTH swear!  LOL

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    The tablets live next to my tooth brush and mascara. I do remember to brush my teeth, that's a no brainer after a night of snoring and mouth breathing and I won't leave the house without putting some slap on. 
  • Annie C
    Annie C Member Posts: 849
    Options
    I love my smart phone. Every thing goes into calendar  / schedule. When an activity is completed I put a tick. I have a very annoying sound that announces what I need to do.  I will turn the annoying sound to vibrate at the Plan B Conference. Unless of course attendees need to be reminded to do something!
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Ditto @Annie C. Mine is never off my person and I put everything in my calendar with two alarms.
  • Annie C
    Annie C Member Posts: 849
    Options
    @kmakm I feel comforted that I haven't got to 2 alarms (yet)! However really important things are set to all day mode. God that just reminds over and over again. I wonder how many lost pieces of paper  bearing cryptic messages are out there. 
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    @Annie C One alarm is for the day before (a week before for birthdays) and the other is on the day set for however long it will take me to get ready and get there if I've completely forgotten. It's effective.
  • Flaneuse
    Flaneuse Member Posts: 899
    Options
    @Giovanna_BCNA Thank you so much for posting this. Yes, small but  very interesting study. I've actually been thinking recently that when they reel off their list of questions every week before chemo - including "Have you experienced any confusion?" - I'm sure that my answers go nowhere, just sit there as a tick in a box.

This is probably the aspect of treatment that distresses me most. I'm a shell of the woman I was physically, but also intellectually, and that's hugely diminishing.

More and more, I lose words in both the languages I speak and I lack mental focus. I've been wanting to try writing something again but I've known since treatment started that I'm incapable of doing so. Yesterday I cleared off my desk - where I've not sat since my surgery in February - intending to sit there for a while each day at the computer and try to write at least a paragraph of something that resembles coherence. I'll see how that goes. 

It's terrifying to consider that my intellectual life may never again be what it was.
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    @Flaneuse @kezmusc  what you both said.
    I too wonder why this condition is fobbed off, taken lightly or outright dismissed.
    I did a first aid refresher yesterday. On two occasions I was asked questions about things I know and understand well and all that came out of my mouth was disjointed babble. It's so embarrassing. Embarrassment as a side effect of chemo and AI. Wonder how that would look.
  • Sister
    Options
    I find too, that if you mention it to family or friends, you just get dismissed with something along the lines of how it's a symptom of ageing and everyone else has got it, too.  Well, yes, I understand that and far from it for me to try to be exclusive, but this has happened over 6 months - it's quite noticeable.  I've gone from being someone with an extensive vocabulary, excellent speller, outstanding organisational skills and someone who could conceptualise other people's needs, and learn new tasks and technologies easily (not bragging but all of these skills are essential in a good librarian, and I was), to someone who has none of those abilities.