Article - Memory loss following breast cancer treatment

Options

Comments

• Flaneuse
    Flaneuse Member Posts: 899
    Options
    Absolutely, Kate. We so often disregard how long it takes our bodies and brains to get over anaesthetic, alongside everything else that's going on, relating to why we had the surgery.
  • Ellamary98
    Ellamary98 Member Posts: 157
    Options
    @kmakm. I've heard that too about anaesthetic, and I learnt it first-hand. After my second breast surgery (Lat dorsi), I applied for an item writing job at my workplace. It was very similar work to the position I worked in for 8 years, in the same office, so I was not feeling anxious when the time came for their standard writing test. It was 2 weeks after my surgery, and I sat in a room of competent people, and spent 90 mins trying to work out how to scroll the document down the screen and manage 2 screen pages simultaneously. I was barely able to engage with any of the prompts in any meaningful way, and as a result I missed out on the job. In hindsight, I should never have tackled the task so soon after surgery, but no one had told me that my brain would be addled!! It was so distressing- such a shock, but thankfully the cognitive impairment subsided for the most part over the next few weeks. I reckon our brains take such a huge hit, and whilst the treatment  may achieve its intended result (and we are all thankful for this), more work needs to be done to find ways to protect and rebuild cognitive function.
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    I had 8 GAs dealing with BC VI . I reckon it took 2 years to get to a point I wasn't disabled. By what, I don't know. I do know that even having a short term general anaesthetic (less than an hour) made me feel like I'd been on a two week bender, even if I had been in the best of health previously. The big jobs, surgery that took all day, was crippling because it fucked with my head so it's hard to apportion blame.  V2,  same same. No big circle the wagons chop chop, but still 5 GA.  It's not good for you.
  • Zoffiel
    Options
    Well, that made no sense but I refuse to edit it. Welcome to overthink chemo brain.
  • Flaneuse
    Options
    @Zoffiel Made sense to me. I'm not looking forward to the GA for my changeover surgery next year - another brain dissolve, as well as clot risk. If I'd been able to predict having three clots in my lungs a fortnight after my mastectomy, I wouldn't have opted for an expander. But of course no crystal ball. 
  • Zoffiel
    Options
    Nothing like a bit of worthy indignation to get those grey cells activated @flaneuse ! Even better if there has been a bit of hive thinking and the opportunity to write a damn good letter. Mxx
  • Flaneuse
    Options
    @Zoffiel So true. I don't need this stress, but I was losing sleep feeling sick with anger about it, as were a couple of other people (also not in good health) so we decided to bite the bullet. F xx
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Bloody brilliant. Righteous indignation is SO satisfying. Especially when you win! K xox
  • AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 946
    Options
    Hey there @kezmusc ...try this one for size.....The sheep farmer wanted to know whether the weather would be good for his wethers....just kidding. I reckon the print is too small for me to read on the monitor. along with the Uncle Toby Porridge Brain that I now have xoxo
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Options
    :( The last week I have had to think really hard for words sometimes and I don't know if it anaesthetic related, chemo brain, tamoxifen, lack of sleep from tamoxifen or all of the above
  • InkPetal
    InkPetal Member Posts: 499
    edited August 2018
    Options
    "...how they could not stay focused and would get easily distracted. They described how they seemed to have a lower attention span. Others described it as going blank in the middle of a task."

Seriously. It takes me around 6 hours to get through an hour long online lecture. I will be in the process of watching it and suddenly realize that I am no longer there. Like just now. I'm not done yet. I forgot what I was doing. It's been nearly 2 years of this. I feel like I should be on something for attention deficit disorder. (This is compared to pre-chemo study habits where I would easily get through the lectures, course readings, and notes revision process in under 4 hours.)
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Options
    @Kiwi Angel,  you know where my bet is. :smile: 
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    I miss being able to learn and remember song lyrics and sing them.