Article - Memory loss following breast cancer treatment

Options

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,378
    Options
    I don't have this problem and cannot imagine what I would do if I had. All I can add is my empathetic support to anything that can help, and to say that at nearly 73 (how the hell did that happen?) I don't expect to have lost my cognitive and verbal skills, let alone 20 years earlier! Utter bollocks indeed. Any of us can use help with the myriad complexities of day to day life - I have at least 20 passwords at work alone, many with a 6 week life, for goodness sake! And I have used a pill box for years, but that's not the issue. I live pretty cheerfully with my side effects but that one would floor me.
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Options
    Ditto @Ellamary98.  I will often sit back in conversations and listen so as not to appear stupid.  There are times when someone will be telling me a story or similar and I just have to kind of nod and smile even though I have been totally unable to follow the thread of the discussion.

@wendy55.  Went to the cheap shop to get wrapping paper, walked out of the door and thought "I'll just pop round to that nice butcher round the corner"  Got in the car and drove back to Woolies. There was a time delay of about 30 seconds between the thought and getting into my car.  No worries, I'll double back after Woolies.  Got in the car.  Drove home.

Seriously. Countless times, I walk in to a store and struggle to remember what I am there for.  Half the time if I make a list I forget to look at it.  I set alarms for bloody everything now.

There is no way it's "age related"  I'm 46 (ok, a couple of weeks shy of 47) for goodness sake.  It is also very cut and dry as to when it started.

Ground control to Major Tom   LOL
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    The password thing @fraser OMG. My partner and I and a couple of friends did a first aid course over the weekend. Yeah, a different way to spend time with your friends...
    Part of the process was providing a USI (universal student identifier) so we had to retrieve them from a govt website or create one (those who haven't studied in years) I've got 4 email addresses, all used for different things. Which one was attached to my USI? Turned out to be my 'study' EA and I'd forgotten the password. Because iIforget everything. Then I had to guess which EA was the back up, remember the password for that.. Eventually got a 'reset password' link and they want a 9 digit password. 9. Why? 
    It used to be 4, then 6 then 8...I'm doomed if I have to come up with a whole new set of interchangeable passwords if they all change to 9. Im 'already sailing close to the hackworthy wind. I know, that's the road to ruin but I'm done with the whole business. I simply can not remember any more numbers. 
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Don't ask me any more details because I haven't the faintest idea, but you can set up a "vault" that assigns random complex passwords to everything you register with.
  • Ellamary98
    Ellamary98 Member Posts: 157
    Options
    I cried recently when Google performed a crazy update on my laptop and all my user names and passwords were no longer remembered. I couldn't access anything without 10 security steps. I rang the bank and they wanted to id me by checking to see if I could recall the 3 most recent transactions on that account. Ha! I don't think so.
  • JJ70
    JJ70 Member Posts: 983
    Options
    Tonight I can't remember if I've fed the dog or not. I know I went to....but can't actually remember if I did. I think I got distracted along the way. Dog is a labrador, so he is no help. He always looks hungry and would annihilate 10 dinners in a row. Not sure what to do...think he can fast for the night anyway, he's looking a bit podgy.
  • Annie C
    Annie C Member Posts: 849
    Options
    @JJ70
    Tuesdays are ladies lunch day here in Derby. Well today I wanted to order the vegetarian quiche - it came out as " I will have the vegetation quiche". To me it sounded right. Lucky I am well known in town and I got my "vegetation" quiche correctly!
  • Flaneuse
    Flaneuse Member Posts: 899
    Options
    @3370 He's gorgeous. We always had labradors and yes - they don't know the meaning of "enough food". 
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    @JJ70 Oh that is a plaintive accusatory stare if ever I've seen one!
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Are you feeling guilty @JJ70 ?
  • Ellamary98
    Ellamary98 Member Posts: 157
    Options
    @JJ70, that is one beautiful pup!
  • JJ70
    JJ70 Member Posts: 983
    Options
    @Ellamary98...lucky he is gorgeous because the naughty factor is sometimes just a little too much....just chewed up my daughter's homework book and pencilcase. He gets one side of the kitchen bench with something he knows he's not allowed to have and round and round we go.....smart fella if I am honest. :o
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    I heard a doctor on ABC radio today talking about the ongoing research into general anaesthetic caused cognitive impairment. Not in any great detail other to say that it's a 'thing'. I've had a total of 13 hours under a GA from December last year to April this year. Throw in having cancer, and chemotherapy, that's three CRCI factors... Awesome.