• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    @DearB How funny! I've got a dog who might like that too  :)  K xox
  • kmakm
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I'm howling to you tonight from... the hospital.

Yes, that's right, back in the.slammer. i was getting a jump on cooking tomorrow's wedding anniversary lunch (my parents' 53rd, 12 people) last night. Picked up the fabric oven glove to use and then had to drop it because it was hot. Damn hot because I had to rush to the sink to run my hand under water. I looked back to see the glove smouldering and smoking with glowing embers. I still have no idea how it happened.

It soon became clear that home first aid was not going to cut it. The pain was excruciating. So off to the ED where, blissfully, morphine was administed. The doctor ordered a line put in, which of course was problematic because my veins are still stuffed from the last eight months of pin cushionery. The first go was an epic fail with pain and bleeding. Another nirse was called and did better.

My hand was in a bowl of water for about an hour but even when it came out it still hurt like a mo fo. How would you rate the pain? 10. So the doc said something about nerve damage, that I'd burnt my hand in he most painful spot because of nerve endings, and admitted me overnight for pain control. And I got more morphine.

Laughed when he asked me if I was taking any medication! Struggled to remember it all.

So I've been dozing & waking all night in the short stay unit, and back to the all too familiar routine of four hourly obs.

GARRGH!  :#
  • DearB
    DearB Member Posts: 205
    Options
    Omg I hope it's better quickly!,
  • kmakm
    Options
    @DearB Thank you, me too!
  • AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 945
    Options
    Oh FFS @kmakm ...that's terrible. Hope the  give you some good  stuff to east  the pain. There are so many nerve endings in particularly, the finger tips, which makes it so painful. That is why I always get the nurses to check my blood sugars by pricking my earlobe. I've had a few who do the Huhh thing with me, but as I say to them, the blood in my earlobes is the same as the blood in my finger, but I don't use my ears to turn pages, eat or knit. Get better soon xoxo
  • kmakm
    Options
    @AllyJay Thanks love. The burn is across the top of my palm. Right hand of course. I've got that old Frank Sinatra song going through my head, 'Everything Happens To Me'...
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    Bugger @kmakm Not the slammer! Beg for more drugs and order takeaway for the party.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Not good @kmakm. Are they letting you out today?
  • Annski
    Annski Member Posts: 112
    Options
    @kmakm so sorry to hear that as if too much pain is never enough. I agree it will have to be a take-away lunch and really it seems you are always doing so much...you are still in quite early recovery, should be taken care of by your family, not the other way around, or no more than absolutely necessary. Hope your hand feels better soon but no more cooking for a while? Thinking of you, please take it easy!
  • kmakm
    Options
    @Sister Yes, just waiting for the doctor now. He's due at 9am.
  • kmakm
    Options
    @Zoffiel They just gave me a Targin and some panadol. I've got a pumper of a headache now.
  • kmakm
    Options
    @Annski I'm very happy to say the bulk of the cooking is done. I was being 'efficient' and doing it early! Dessert is made, I did that first. So the lunch will go on.

I'd like to rest morr but it's just not possible. Thank you lovely. K xox 
  • Flaneuse
    Flaneuse Member Posts: 899
    Options
    @kmakm You poor darling. I had to sign off my moan quickly because, sitting propped up in bed with my cuppa, I suddenly felt dizzy and had to lie down. Soon went to sleep and woke just before 8 am. Shall head off for blood tests soon.
    Kate, you must NOT be catering for gatherings. Let other people care for you - or buy in takeaways. F x
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Options
    @kmakm was that during the cake baking. U poor thing. Huge hugs xxoxo