Night Howls

Options

Comments

• Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Options
    @Sarnicad u poor thing - sounds very uncomfortable. I have the most vivid dreams not ever since I have had chemo. I have always had full on dreams but it’s like menopause has ramped them up a notch. 
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    I'm SO impressed with all of you who can have these conversations with your bosses. I think you're incredible. I'm struggling to admit these weaknesses to myself, let alone anyone else. Today I wanted my husband to go through some clothes on the bed. Do you think I could find the word for bed?! I said "table, chair... that thing in the middle of the room". He laughed but I didn't find it funny at all. It was distressing. How can I work like this? How do you manage? I think you're amazing!
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,446
    Options
    It will get better I can remember the frustration of that stage Kmakm... it took me over 3 yrs before I returned to work 
    when I get overtired it happens still and I either blow up or burst into tears 

• Sarnicad
    Sarnicad Member Posts: 318
    Options
    @kmakm I tend to be good at work bearing in mind I only work mornings when I’m at my best and have a day off in the middle of the week. The kids on the other hand often cop the missing word syndrome when I’m tired after work and rads and then they get “thingymabob” as my word substitute and they have to divine what I mean. Saying go ge5 5he thingymabob out of the machine leaves so much room for interpretation could be anything from the dishes to the washing and everything in between
  • Flaneuse
    Flaneuse Member Posts: 899
    Options
    It's odd but often I can get the first letter. I'll say - "It starts with C" or "H" or whatever. And sometimes when it comes to me later, or someone provides it, I'd got the first letter right. 
  • kmakm
    Options
    @Sarnicad If I had a dollar for every time I've issued that instruction or similar this year I'd be a rich woman! Your working hours sound fantastic.

Thank you @SoldierCrab. I have to say I find the patience required in survivorship to be challenging.
  • Flaneuse
    Flaneuse Member Posts: 899
    Options
    @kmakm I'm with you, Kate. Stuff patience.
  • kmakm
    Options
    @Flaneuse It really shits one off eh?! I've already lost a year of my life to this bastard disease. Gargh!  :#
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Thingie has become the word of the moment around here.  I too, get frustrated by my inability to remember (I made what could have been a costly mistake at work in my first week back - something I should have known) and in particular, not being able to follow through a process - I seem to lose track of the thought and it's like trying to catch a fish by the tail.  When I play pool at home with the family, I keep on having to ask each time I take a shot whether I'm on bigs or smalls and twice I've gone for the wrong one.  I think it is slowly getting better.
  • Mjheke
    Mjheke Member Posts: 78
    Options
    I have been menopausal since 41, so those effects are familiar to me but certainly sounds worse on hormone therapy....my poor husband ha ha!
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Options
    I use phrases 

the thingee, u know, the thing!!
    the whatyamacallit 

on a regular basis. My boss does the same thing and we have been working together long enough to figure out what each other is talking about. 

@kmakm. I have been able to talk to my boss as she is a friend, I’ve worked with her for 12 years and she has an inkling if what I’m going though as she has been through natural menopause and has the memory issues. Yesterday was a better day. Felt good I spoke to her and there was another nurse in to do the very long surgery and I managed to get some stuff done without having to rush and stress. 

I was talking to my husband last night about how now my treatment has finished everyone just expects that it will all go back to normal. He gets that people think that but knows it’s not the case. 
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,381
    Options
    Usually crossword puzzles are my friends. They don't look at me crosseyed when I am trying to find words that are in cyberspace. When my brain is too frazzled for crosswords is when I struggle most. On the plus side, people don't get bored listening to me as my speaking has halved.
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,381
    Options
    After four nights of not sleeping due to leg muscle pain from bowel blockage, I took some mersyndol night strength. Ahhhh, three blocks of sleep for a total of 6.5 hours. Dr has me on extreme measures but not much happening yet. Move-a-lock (my word for movecol) bomb is her remedy which she assures me is usually effective. Drinking prune juice as well. At least I got some sleep.