Who else can't sleep?

Options

Comments

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    I'm here too @sister & @onemargie *waves*. Been awake for 45 mins trying to get back to sleep and failing. Mind buzzing. Worrying about money, seeing the oncologist this morning, chemo on Tuesday, boobs boobs boobs.

Terrible not to feel safe walking in your own area. Is it OK to walk a bit later?
  • kmakm
    Options
    Even if I had got back to sleep I'd be awake again because there are now two kookaburras laughing in the tree right outside my bedroom window... 
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I was up earlier, stumbled to the loo and smashed my toe on the leg of the kitchen table. I was trying to avoid putting the lights on with the vague hope I'd be able to go back to sleep. That went well. Instead of quietly slipping back to the land of nod  I found myself lying on the floor moaning while the hound licked my face.
    After that I gave up in disgust and did the vacuuming.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Hi there!  Not the way to get to sleep @zoffiel.  Welcome to the ranks @AllyJay.  I did get my walk this morning @kmakm - my husband came home from the all-night call-out and walked with me.  (And it looks like it was a kangaroo that the car stopped for yesterday)  I am going to try to walk a bit later - it's a balancing act between being ready for the school run (which takes about 2 hours) or heat and tiredness if I do it later.  I find the early morning walk so precious - that time before most of the world wakes up...except those on this discussion, of course.  I'd be out at 3am if I could.
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    My partner (that really is a shitty word, right up there with '''journey' and 'consumer' ) doesn't live with me and stresses a bit about me walking before dawn. I've been doing it for years and have only had a couple of  'windy' moments with cars stopping in random places or people appearing where I didn't expect them to be. 

Too bad. I'm heavy and old and grumpy and no stranger to violence.  Not, I would imagine, the first choice of victim and though there are psychopaths out there, really, what are my chances? I hitch hiked around Australia in my twenties and survived that. I refuse to give up something that keeps me sane for fear of encountering someone who isn't. 
  • kmakm
    Options
    Oh @zoffiel I don't know whether to laugh or cry with that story! Hope your toe's OK. I've walked day and night all my life. Not had any trouble since I was 12 when a revolting creep asked me the time and reached out to touch my newly growing chest.

@AllyJay You sound like you've got it all sorted. Love the sound of your knitting.

@sister Hot in Melbourne this week & usually I'd walk early to beat the heat. But just so tired this chemo cycle. I'll try an evening walk today I think. Glad you got out. No way I'd get up at 3am!
  • Sister
    Options
    Funnily enough, it never worried me so much when I was living in the burbs for a couple of years.  And mostly hasn't here - just got the heebie jeebies yesterday and realised just how far I was from anyone.
  • kmakm
    Options
    Been trying since 11pm. Hot flushes, tears, an overwhelming sense of futility. Have given up and taken a Temazepam. It won't knock me out for the night but it might get me a few hours.
  • LMK74
    LMK74 Member Posts: 795
    Options
    Yep lack of sleep sucks. I never get to sleep before 2am sometimes 3am. The possums jumping on my roof and fighting all night keeps me entertained .

• Sister
    Options
    Hiya @LMK74 - welcome to the night space.  I don't think you've been here before but I may be wrong - I have no idea what's going on, anymore.

As usual - can't sleep past 3am so gave up.  

Apart from usual thoughts running around my head, today is my father-in-law's 86th birthday and my in-laws' 56th wedding anniversary (wasn't he clever - never going to get in trouble for forgetting his anniversary).  Sounds like a big milestone, and it is, except that he's at home under palliative care.  We don't know whether he's just hanging on to make it to this day or this'll drag out for another 6 months going by his track record over the last 20 years.  It may sound horrible, but it would be better for everyone, including him, if it ended soon.  And I'm very fond of him and know how much he will be missed.  The results of ignoring (probably more like spitting in the face of) diabetes for 50 years and relying on insulin to control things.  I always wonder just how amazing his health could have been if he'd been even slightly inclined to manage his diet.
    And to be selfish, I want my husband to clip my hair because I'm sick of looking like a mangy dog but he's reluctant (he's one of these "long hair" guys - not that mine's so long) and I don't want to push it at the moment (as I know he's struggling about his Dad but telling himself that he's not going to buy into grief until it's actually happening) but I'm going mad.  Watch out - crazy woman in aisle 4!  Way too many brackets!

And I want to go to the beach as this weekend may be the last of the good beach weather and I've only been once this season and that has never happened in my life - ever.  I know - I could just go myself but I want to spend the afternoon down there with my family and eat fish and chips on the foreshore and think that life is normal.  I wouldn't even expect to go paddleboarding (have you noticed my very unattractive profile picture?  paddleboarding became my new passion last year).  And my husband doesn't like the beach and it's a long drive and fish and chips for 5 gets pricey when there's no income.
    Humph! There's some mighty big bandicoots around (an old saying of my Mum's: "as miserable as a bandicoot").

It's just pouring out of my fingers, this morning - brackets and all.
  • Sister
    Options
    And it appears that I'm the only one up!
  • Sister
    Options
    Okay, on a roll, now.  I was just commenting on another thread about going back to work and wanting to make plans.  It seems to me to be a common theme on here - many of us are organisers and desperately trying to claw some control back over our lives in any small way we can.  I wonder if it's a common trait of bc women or if it's a common trait of women who gravitate towards discussion groups?   I noticed in last week's Friday update the question around what we get out of this site (or something similar).  Anyone doing a PhD out there?  I'm sure these could be really good thesis questions with some massaging.  What are our common threads?  I sometimes visualise one of those glowy network images with brightly lit lines connecting women (and men) sitting at their computers all across the country.  My mental image looks better at night because the lines are glowier!  (Yes - I want that to be a word.)
  • Sister
    Options
    Bandicoot is listening!
  • kmakm
    Options
    I'm with @Zoffiel, do it. YOU are the priority at this time. What makes you happy is paramount. And bloody post a pic of the beach & fish n chips so we can enjoy it too!
This discussion has been closed.