Our Gardens

Options

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,584
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Gorgeous, @gumnut - does the magnolia have the lovely scent?

I LOVE the frog!!  Ours have gone into hiding!!  

Our day Lilies are out

and my brother's frangipani (grown from seed) is flowering for the very first time!  It is gorgeous & has an unusual petal shape!

• gumnut
    gumnut Member Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Beautiful colours @arpie !
    that's a stunning frangipani - very impressed that you grew that from a seed/s  :) 
    Haven't had to water our plants this week and it's been torrential this evening.
  • arpie
    Options
    hehe, I don't have a green thumb at all, @gumnut - my brother (surprisingly) got into plants & orchids just in the last 20 years & now LOVES growing ANYTHING from seed that he has collected himself  ...... and the frangipani is one of his!!   He's even been selling some on Gumtree!

We had a very hot & humid Xmas/Boxing day & been raining ever since ..... so no watering for us, either just now ....

I've been self pollinating the Day Lillies tho, in the hope they set seeds ..... ;) 

• Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Hi @iserbrown
    They are fabulous!
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Thank you
    Hubby put metal filings at the base years ago
    Fantastic display this season 
  • arpie
    Options
    Nice, @iserbrown - interesting that you have both colours with your hydrangeas!  Doesn't one need an acid soil for their colour & the other an alkaline soil?   Well done on having both!   Do you add anything to the soil to promote that happening?
    Yep ... googled it ...
    Generally speaking, acidic soil, with a pH lower than 6.0, yields blue or lavender-blue hydrangea blooms. Alkaline soil, with a pH above 7.0, promotes pinks and reds. With a pH between 6 and 7, the blooms turn purple or bluish-pink. To lower your pH, add garden sulfur or aluminum sulfate to your soil.

• iserbrown
    Options
    Yes about 4 different main colours on the one bush plus variants, just gorgeous
  • iserbrown
    Options
    Oh @Cath62!
    Gorgeous!
  • arpie
    Options
    Lovely @Cath62 - a real tropical forest, right there! xx