Nervous

Options
2»

Comments

• cranky_granny
    cranky_granny Member Posts: 746
    Options
    @MrsMorrisey @Booklover I'm glad things went well. @MrsMorrisey I cry after every anaesthetic even a twilight one.
     Take it easy in your recovery follow the instructions no matter how tempting it my be to over stretch yourselves
  • Cindi
    Cindi Member Posts: 134
    Options
    To @Booklover and @MrsMorrisey, good luck to you both.

Remember to TAKE IT EASY because if you over do it when your home you may regret it, like I did, I started doing house work when I came home and started a bleed from where a drain had been, that really set back my healing.

So allow others to help you even if you're not used to that.

We all feel up and down at different times and it's all normal, so don't worry about that.

Remember to do the little exercises they assign to you, it'll help in your healing.

I hope you heal well,
    Cindi x
  • MrsMorrisey
    MrsMorrisey Member Posts: 78
    Options
    How you going @Booklover
    I’m feeling better each day and went for a walk today. First time I’ve left the house in a week. 
    Not much pain and arm is getting much more mobile. 
    Doing light housework etc then need a little rest. 
    My dressings are getting itchy. 
    My surgeon said I can  take them off at the 5 day mark but I’m hesitant. 
    They are the waterproof ones.  
    How are yours going, are you taking them off yourself? 
    My follow-up appt isn’t until 5th Feb so don’t want to wait that long. 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,627
    Options
    Great that you are going well @MrsMorrisey and getting out of the house now xx.  If you are hesitant to remove the dressings yourself .... maybe contact your Breast Care Nurse to drop in & do it for you - or even check in with your GP (who would probably want to see how you are going anyway - and may address any other queries you may have xx)

take care & all the best.  Make sure you have a buddy with you on Feb 5th 

• Booklover
    Booklover Member Posts: 7
    Options
    @MrsMorrisey sorry for the delayed response, feeling a little unwell the last couple of days - just a virus. 
    That’s great about your recovery.
    Did you manage to have your dressing removed?
    I saw my Surgeon this afternoon and got good news. The lump was removed and the margins were clear as well as the nodes. There was another pre-cancerous lump near the cancer, that they took out also. 
    Next step now is to meet with the Oncologist and 3 weeks of radiation to start in around 6-8 weeks and meds also. 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,627
    Options
    @Booklover ... I hope you are feeling better after the virus ... great that they got clear margins & not in the nodes .... and taking out the pre-cancerous lump is a bonus. xx. 

All the best for your Onc appt ... and your Rads xx

take care 

• GorgyS
    GorgyS Member Posts: 66
    Options
    Honestly, I wouldn't be able to get through all of this without the support of the BCNA network. When I'm worried, sad, angry, or nervous, it becomes my best friend—a place to vent, gather information, and find encouragement to keep going. Only women going through breast cancer truly understand each other. 
  • cactusk
    cactusk Member Posts: 57
    Options
    @GorgyS @J-Nold
    I absolutely agree with both of you. You nailed in GorgyS with this phrase 'a place to vent, gather information and find encouragement to keep going'. I have an amazing group of friends around me, incredible support from work, and family from afar all in my corner, but these forums do provide so much for me during this 'journey'. The cyber hugs from here mean so much. 
  • MrsMorrisey
    Options
    Totally agree. I seek this forum for reassurance as I’m struggling to find anyone who can possibly understand that our entire lives have shifted off the axis. 
    Very hard to navigate the ever changing feelings. 
  • mspink
    mspink Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Hello ladies, 
    I too am newly diagnosed (22/12/2023) IDC ( invasive ductal carcinoma) my surgery happened on 17/1/2024. Waiting for surgical follow-up appointment to see how it all went and what’s next !!!. Have been in touch with the wonderful McGrath foundation nurse who has been extremely helpful before surgery and post surgery. It’s the waiting for the next steps that is making my mind wander and feelings of loneliness. Whilst I have been blessed with a loving and supportive family around me, this is something I am having a difficult time coming to terms with, as I have been really healthy most of my life and why this now.. not sure of how much time I will have to have off work etc etc

Thank you for taking the time to read my rant. Take care and best wishes to you all 🩷😘

• Katie46
    Katie46 Member Posts: 97
    Options
    Hello, I was diagnosed in October after having my first mammogram at 50 totally unexpected. IDC Stage 2 (2cm) grade 3 and 1 lymph node involved. Lump removed with clear margins in November and healed well. The surgeon took more than he had originally planned as he thought the lump felt larger, and so removed lump, precancerous cells and obtained clear margins, so slightly larger dent, but very happy no more surgery required. I can have reconstruction if I want once my treatment is finished, but at the moment it looks ok to me, my breast shape is still intact. Due to it being grade 3 I've just completed my 3rd round of 4 AC every 2 weeks and then move on to 12 of Taxol, then radiation therapy, and hormone therapy. Happily no nausea (the drugs work for me and I haven't needed to use the extra given to me) and fairly mild side effects other than fatigue and hairloss. My hair was long, but I had it cut short before treatment (which I liked) and then got my husband to buzz cut when it started to come out, which helped with the tender feeling on my scalp. I'm up in Darwin and we have 2 wonderful McGrath Nurses who have been very helpful, and extremely happy with my surgeon and oncology team at the Alan Walker Cancer Centre up here, everyone has been so supportive. Currently on leave from work, mainly because of the fatigue but hoping to be able to do a few days a week when I switch to Taxol. I've been lurking on this network since my diagnosis, and it's been very helpful 🙂 Katie 
  • MrsMorrisey
    Options
    Hi @mspink and @Katie46

Thanks for saying hello and thanks Katie for the info around your treatment. I find out on Monday if I need chemo. 
    Is comforting to read you got by okay. 
    At first was adamant not to get it but after crying to my BC nurse 😳 she assured me I’d be looked after and it’s only offered if need be. 
    Apparently I’m a grey area according to my surgeon and even though I have clear lymph nodes they may offer chemo due to my age ( 50) and the tumour type ( IDC grade 2  28mm) 
    Unfortunately I did not get clear margins on Jan 17 lumpectomy and I have to have more surgery on 22 nd Feb to get out remaining DCIS. Actual nasty tumour is gone though. Kinda annoyed she didn’t take more but she said my breasts are dense and fibrous. 
    I really hope she gets it all next time. Shame cos my wound is healing well except for sore bicep from lymph node removal. 
    I’ve had a big whinge on another thread bug thought I’d say hello anyway 👋
  • Katie46
    Katie46 Member Posts: 97
    Options
    Hello Mrs Morrisey, I've been following your journey, it can be overwhelming at times, and frustrating, particularly in the early days waiting for appointments and results, once I had all that information and a clear plan I've felt more in control. I feel like I've been lucky up here as everyone has taken time to explain everything and we've never felt like we've been rushed out the door. My oncologist told me he would have recommended chemo even if the lump was smaller and no lymph node involved due to the high grade making the risk of recurrence being higher. My husband has come along to all my appointments, as it is easy for your mind to drift a bit and miss something. So I'm just going with the flow and doing what is recommended for the best possible outcome. I've also been lucky to meet some women up here who have gone through this, which has been very helpful, and reasuring. Once you get diagnosed with breast cancer you quickly find out how common it is, once I  mention it most people have a relative or friend who has been through the same thing. I've also registered with Look Good Feel Better and attended one of their online makeup sessions, I've managed to hang on to my eyebrows so far, but feel their days are numbered, and I have never had to draw my own 😆 Hoping all goes well with your next surgery. Katie