Nervous

Options
Booklover
Booklover Member Posts: 7
Newly diagnosed with invasive breast cancer mid December. Surgery delayed once already but now is tomorrow with a lymphoscintography shortly. 
Feeling very nervous and quite emotional today - haven’t really cried since diagnosed but today I can’t seem to stop. Is this how others have felt?

Comments

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Understandably nervous!  As time goes on you learn what seems like a new language, Lymphoscintigraphy.  

"Lymphoscintigraphy is a special type of nuclear medicine imaging that provides special pictures of the lymphatic system, which transports fluid throughout your immune system. Lymphoscintigraphy is often used to identify the sentinel lymph node, or the first node to receive the lymph drainage from a tumor."

Personally, I didn't cry!  I had a tear when I was in the holding bay waiting to go into the theatre for a Mastectomy but otherwise, I was too busy concentrating what was at hand!

Most people are quite emotional - allow the tears to 
    flow.  It's all about the shock and wondering how did I get here and what treatment is next!

Sending a virtual hug
    Take care
  • Aska
    Aska Member Posts: 61
    Options
    Let the tears flow.... then go for a walk. I was diagnosed April 23 and I still burst into tears at times.  Lean on your support people and reach out to your breast care nurse. Judging by your name you like reading.  I read so much every day, and slept so much.  Take things easy and look after yourself.  I hope everything goes well tomorrow. 
  • Mareealso
    Mareealso Member Posts: 26
    edited January 16
    Options
    Hi Booklover, In a nut shell...YES!  Like you I was diagnosed and had initial treatment over Christmas and News Years. I am now having chemo..but remember ploughing through these festive times with a smile on my face until it all hit when I was facing my first round of chem. I think for the sake of others in our lives and at this time of year we push through until something becomes the brick wall...then it hits. I have since rallied again, as will you and pushed on. This site is great for venting so use it...it's great to share your burdens here!
  • PrisMay1
    PrisMay1 Member Posts: 65
    Options
    @Booklover I swing between being very calm and collected to being a crying mess! My husband has seen me through all stages! I was diagnosed for a second time in June last year. I’m now going to have a double mastectomy with reconstruction and it’s been an emotional roller coaster! I’m at the point now where I’m just wanting it done! Let the tears flow - I think it helps! Sometimes I put a sad movie on just to get that release. Wishing you all the best. 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,592
    Options
    Sorry to see you join our select little group @Booklover - and wishing you all the best for tomorrow.  I am a real sook & I was in tears, leaving my husband and brother & SIL at reception on the morning of my surgery - but once I was in my room, I was pretty well FINE!  It is all that 'fear of the unknown' .... the 'what ifs' .....  all I know is, that once I woke up in recovery & was back in my room, I was just SO RELIEVED, knowing that the beast was gone!   I hope you'll feel the same xx. This damn disease mucks with your brain even more than your body, I reckon xx. So, as the other ladies have said - just let the tears flow 

Just make sure that after you get home, that you don't do any lifting/housework/anything that may cause a setback - I hope your support team is all organised to wait on you, hand & foot for a week or two, at least. xx

Below is a thread that has some tips on being in hospital - front opening tops are good .... a small oblong pillow to support your arm (and hug when driving home, as any jarring on the road can also be a tad painful once the meds have worn off.)    It shows other areas of the forum where you can have a bit of fun too - even a laugh or two (heaven knows we can all do with a laugh!) 
    https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/23477/a-big-welcome-to-all-our-new-members#latest

take care & al the best xx

• MrsMorrisey
    MrsMorrisey Member Posts: 78
    Options
    @Booklover I’ve got my surgery tomorrow too! You’re not alone. 
    I’m have my lymphosinctigram prior to surgery, was meant to have it today then I got canceled which I feel better about. Get it all done on the same day. 
    Best wishes, I’m right there with you xx
  • cranky_granny
    cranky_granny Member Posts: 707
    Options
    Howdy @Booklover I see you’re in the Riff so am I 
    i attend the cancer care clinic at Nepean hospital. I have found them fantastic bunch of people. 
    I’m there every 4 weeks.  
    Im nearly 7 years down the track from my surgery. My breast surgeon did a fantastic job. As she said she had a lot of spare saggy bits to work with when she did the lumpectomy ( breast conserving surgery. )
    I stayed overnight and the breast-care nurse bought me the package with the after surgery bra and the mini boomerang pillow. Hopefully you will get one also. 
    With the emotional side i flipped between crying. To she’ll be right mate. And  then angry at life. 
    They’re further between now. 
    If they send you home with pain relief take it before the pain gets unbearable if it does.  I didn’t start  getting much pain until i started the exercises for the arm they took the lymph glands from. I learnt quickly not to climb the wall too fast. They should give some instructions re those. 
    This network is a great place to get answers to most questions there’s usually someone who has been there. 
    Take it easy. If you need anything just message me on here even if it’s just a cuppa a chat or a shoulder to lean on 
    Good vibes for tomorrow. be sure to let us know how you went once you’re up to it. 
  • MrsMorrisey
    Options
    How’d you go @Booklover
  • Booklover
    Options
    @MrsMorrisey My surgeon saw me in recovery just after waking up, she said it went well. 
    Feeling better today than yesterday and overall better than I thought I would. My husband is a godsend and has been looking after me and is making sure I rest. 

How did your surgery go?
  • MrsMorrisey
    Options
    @Booklover that’s great. Apparently my surgeon came and spoke to me too. 
    I can’t remember a thing and was probably really embarrassing. I had a blocked nose and the nurses said I’d been crying. 
    Drugs hey?
  • Booklover
    Options
    @MrsMorrisey I hope you feel better today!

I am of a similar age to yourself at 51 and also yet to reach menopause. I also have 3 children all living at home in their late teens/early twenties. 

• Booklover
    Options
    @cranky_granny thank you for sharing your story. Thank you also for your insight. 

Going into this I thought that it would be surgery and then a follow up treatment and the life would be back to normal. 
    I’m now realising that I may have been a little in denial and also trying to show those around me that I’m fine so not worry them. 

After hearing from others in the group I’m realising that it is ok to have lots of different feelings and that no feeling is right or wrong. I need to take each days as it comes whether it be good or bad and that this will be an ongoing process. 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,592
    Options
    So glad you are both going well after your surgery @Booklover and @MrsMorrisey ...... just rest up for a few days as you may 'nod off' now & then, as the anaesthetic wears off .... and make sure you keep up any painkiller meds for the first 2-3 days too - 4 hourly or as prescribed ... so the pain shouldn't break thru xx

Take care & all the best for your recovery & pathology results xx
  • MrsMorrisey
    Options
    Thanks @arpie

@Booklover let’s believe and pray for no lymph node action. 
    Just rads and blockers xxxx
  • Booklover
    Options
    Thank you @arpie
    @MrsMorrisey yes let’s hope and pray for favourable results.