• Caz1
    Caz1 Member Posts: 382
    Options
    Good luck @arpie... fingers and toes crossed for you
    Here’s to many peaceful nights xx
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,375
    Options
    My heart breaks for you lovelies. It is hard to look after yourself if you need to look after someone else, which is hard if you don't look after yourself. Vicious circle. I have to admit, I would be tempted to drug them up one night a week. I find if I get just one good nights sleep a week I can cope better. Please remember, you are important too. Sending massive hugs.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,578
    Options
    Thanks @Blossom1961 - it'll take 7 days for the meds to kick in before I can hopefully get a full nights sleep again - I just hope I haven't become 'set in my ways' and stay 'awake'!   Sadly, the meds may also keep him awake too!!  But if it helps regulate the incontinence, we'll work it out.

Hugs back at ya xx

• Locksley
    Locksley Member Posts: 911
    Options
    @AllyJay this made me laugh.  28 years ago I said to my husband i will not be saying obey in wedding vows and haven't obeyed much of this time.  He he.
  • arpie
    Options
    OK ... the tablets didn’t work and the urologist opened up for us on Xmas Eve and changed the meds to a patch called Oxytrol.  What an AMAZING difference almost overnight.   If your loved one has incontinence .... ask about this product!  He still has the occasional leak, but no more 3-4 times a day and night but now wears pads and pull ups more as insurance .... I actually slept thru a couple of nights!

In early January, other things happened that resulted in a dual hernia diagnosis .... and he had an operation to effect a repair.  Unfortunately the surgeon encountered problems and couldn’t complete the op without possibly causing damage to other organs due t what he could see in the abdomen, so he took samples for biopsy and closed him up.  He was in hospital 4 days, recovering, and told all the nurses that I’d abandoned him there for no reason! LOL. His dementia was speaking!

A week later we saw the surgeon for his report and the biopsy and he said it was cancer.  The report showed it was metastatic, from his earlier stomach cancer in 2010.  He had most of his stomach removed back then from a particularly aggressive cancer, followed by chemo. It had returned, elsewhere.  The surgeon organised a PET Scan for last Wed and today we got the results and report.

Advanced cancer in numerous sites. Surgery is not a consideration. I should hear from my Onc tomorrow for an urgent appointment to see what treatment options are available to him.  Radiation is unlikely, as that targets specific tumours and I think he has too many.

The dementia also means he’s been almost blissfully unaware of everything and keeps forgetting his diagnosis ... which is almost good!  He is not in pain or discomfort and I hope it stays that way - apparently this is not unusual for dementia sufferers!  One of the few benefits of dementia.  I have Plan B for pain control too, as I don’t want him doped up on opiates if pain DOES become an issue.

This really sucks.  Covid stuffed our plans of travelling last year .... and now this.  :( 

Hug your partner and kids - and if you notice something ‘weird’ with your body .... don’t wait!  Get it checked out. Even if nothing is found ‘then’, it becomes a part of the history and the Dr may remember that when someone else complains of the same thing!
  • FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Oh @arpie 😢. I don’t know what to say. I just want to give you a really big bear hug ♥️♥️♥️
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,371
    Options
    Dear @arpie

Thinking of you - this is a hard outcome and I hope you have support as you need it. Take care of yourself in all this. 
  • PV123
    PV123 Member Posts: 202
    Options
    @arpieSending you hugs, please look after yourself
  • AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 943
    Options
    @arpie I'm so sorry for the terrible news. This insidious beast sucks those it has afflicted dry from the inside out. A small mercy which you mention is that the dementia removes his awareness of his condition, but fuck me dead...that's really small in the mercy department. I wish I could give you the biggest hug. but you are (both) in my heart. The Cosmic Clowns are truly warped and psychotic...mean and cruel. Big (((hug)))...Ally.
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,959
    Options
    Dear @arpie,

This bear is smiling. I hope you get some smiles and laughs today. 
    Love and best wishes from jennyss in Western NSW.
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    What a bitch!
    Swear, cry, stamp your feet and hopefully that will expel some frustration. 
    Sending hugs
    Best wishes
    Take care 
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,830
    Options
    What was the old saying "Life is a bitch and then you die" (although it may have had a stronger word in the middle).  The part along the way at the end of life should not be so cruel.
    As you know, my friend's husband passed away last year with similar.  She found he was even more confused and would not eat when on the patches so she stopped them and he was a 'happy chappy' again.  Dementia has some benefits as he did not know what was wrong and felt no pain, which was a blessing.
    You remember to look after you as well in all of this.  You are in our thoughts.   <3
  • arpie
    Options
    Thanks guys xxx it sucks. You’d think I’d be used to it now!!   One of our friends with colon cancer is not doing well either.  A tough time all round. 
  • Laura_BCNA
    Laura_BCNA Member Posts: 168
    Options
    So sorry to hear this @Arpie, please reach out to BCNA if you need anything and take care of yourself.