• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    What a roller coaster!
    Sending you a virtual hug x
  • FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,536
    Options
    You’re so onto it @arpie, good on you!! What a wonderful wife and best friend you are to him 😊♥️. I hope you get the treatment you need at a much reduced cost, and that it helps 🤞🤞. Quite annoying that so many of them are not available here in Aus, but there’s not much we can do about it. You’re being very proactive anyway 👌🏻. Hope you’re taking care of yourself too 💟
  • Caz1
    Caz1 Member Posts: 382
    Options
    Good on you @arpie , what a great advocate you are :)
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,959
    Options
    Dear @arpie,

Best wishes from jennyss in Western NSW
  • Caz1
    Caz1 Member Posts: 382
    Options
    Wow sounds like you got yourself  a fighter!
    Glad you can duck out for a fish now and then 
    Caz x
  • FLClover
    Options
    That’s great @arpie!! Wow, a championship at age 80!! That’s quite inspiring! 👏🏻👏🏻.
    Sounds like both of you are quite tough 💪🏻👌🏻♥️
  • FLClover
    Options
    @arpie I just googled him too. Wow!! So many achievements, and such perseverance throughout his life. Incredible! He and his brother look so happy after having competed, and might I say you two make a very handsome couple ☺️😍♥️. Lovely to read about his story and both of your determination 🥰
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,578
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Many thanks to @Giovanna_BCNA for kick starting a new group for Carers with Chronic diseases ..... you should have received an email about joining the group if you’re in this situation or would like to follow it.  Xx

• arpie
    Options
    Is there a link we can add to the side bar (with the other groups) so that other members may be able to join, thanks @Giovanna_BCNA ?  I'd like to start chatting with others in the group xx

• June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,830
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Good idea, @arpie

@Giovanna_BCNA - Also, can the title of the group be a bit more simple ?
    Perhaps then an invitation on the main site for Carers to join.

Please note that the group is open to any member who is also a Carer - not necessarily caring for someone with Dementia.

Thanks
  • arpie
    Options
    Yes, absolutely - open to all carers, not just those with dementia - and also open to those who's loved ones may have passed away - as the knowledge you'll have gained will be invaluable to all of us facing that uphill climb. :( 
  • Giovanna_BCNA
    Giovanna_BCNA Member Posts: 1,839
    Options
    Hello @arpie and @June1952 great suggestions, I will need to ask our developers to add to the groups list.  Hopefully be there very soon,  cheers Giovanna
  • arpie
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Woohoo. Hubby’s markers are down heaps this week!!  The first couple of blood tests had them going up 50-80 points a time .... first time they are lowering!  The Lower dose tablets had him MUCH happier in himself and not as exhausted after his previous treatment.

His angry red, peeling Feet are still an issue tho

His next PET scan will be after next treatment now, not this one. He Didn’t put himself to bed at all after the last treatment and is bright and bushy tailed this morning.  The Onc is very happy with his progress!  So it looks like we’ve got the dose ‘right’ for his quality of life, yet hopefully containing the cancer. 

He Started the oral chemo again today (for 2 weeks) after the infusion yesterday  ... he had 4 days ‘off the tablets’ last treatment after the infusion .. so if he gets fatigued/zonked/not happy again, we’ll know to cut that back again.

I am just so very happy with how things are going just now.

Has anyone else had hand/feet syndrome from chemo, where the skin gets very red and inflamed, thickens and then peels (his whole sole of his foot has peeled, so now needs to toughen up again ...). We’ve tried various creams (NS21 was terrific initially on the skin and the NS8 Heel Balm was great for his heels and soles)  and am now trying Moogoo full cream moisturiser ... but I am wondering what’s worked for you?  This will be an ongoing problem with the Capecitabine tablets ...   I may even start a new thread just on this subject as I am sure there will be plenty of members suffering from it!

take care, stay well xx