Where did my gratitude go? I swear I left it right here somewhere...

Options

Comments

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    @Annie C @Summer Prevails Sometimes I think my reaction is a bit childish, that it's a bit of a 'it's not fair' drumming my heels into the floor moment. Of course life is not fair, and when it comes to BC it's actually why not me... Especially when the stats are one in eight.

Life is full of disappointment, for most people I'd say. I am most certainly not where I thought I would be five years ago and unlike many things, it's as as result of several events very much outside my control. I know we're supposed to make lemonade out of lemons but f**k me, seeing the silver lining in killer brain tumours, dead sisters, mental illnesses (not my own), breast cancers and distressed & disturbed children is a bloody big ask.

It's going to take time for me to get over this. My own BC has sucked away the energy I was using to manifest my previous 'best foot forward' attitude. I hope I don't sink any lower than I currently am. It sounds like you've managed to turn things round @Annie C, with time and kindness to yourself and putting yourself first? How much time before you started to feel a bit better?

I was warned having breast cancer would change me. So far I'm hating what it's done. Sounds like you are too Summer P. Anger at how you're feeling shows me you care. All I can say is hang in there. Like me you'll just have to trust that like everyone says, eventually this feeling of pointlessness will pass. We'll hang in there together if it's any consolation. Kate xox
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    @Summer Prevails I've felt that I don't see any point but I know, as with any depression, that it takes time and help to get through.  And just because you're going through all of this bc shit doesn't mean that the everyday shit has disappeared.  But it is common.  In fact, I was talking to a group of women the other day about Super and income protection and one of the women is getting a payout because her Super covers trauma (as in PTSD type) and a breast cancer diagnosis and treatment comes under that.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,584
    Options
    @onemargie

That is one awesome post - I really think it should be 'stickied' somewhere!

haha  Trust me - It is the violin that sounds like a cat being strangled (if I am playing it!)  LOL  At least Ukes have 'frets' on them that show you where to put your fingers!   With Violins, you sorta have to 'guess'!!  That's why they 'slide into notes', I reckon - to cover up their mistakes!!  ;)   Others may call it 'being soulful, adding pathos!'   We do 'Somewhere/Wonderful World' - the first time we 'nailed it' - it seriously gave me goose bumps!!

@Summer Prevails  - as @kmakm  and others have said, please call the BC Helpline or BCNA to have a chat - hopefully one will be open on a weekend.   I hope that with counselling and time, that you will feel better about all this shit we are all going thru.

My heart bleeds for those of you doing it really tough just now - thank GOD we have BCNA on which to talk about our feelings - good or bad - and just get that wonderful support - and know there are ears out there listening and understanding.

If you are having family problems or other shit going on in your life - just remember -  we are your 'family' - we are your also your friend.

TAKE CARE xxxx and know that you are loved and valued  xx
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,584
    edited June 2018
    Options
    hahaha @Zoffiel - Oh dear, I am a bit of a hoarder too ..... coming from a childhood where I basically owned nothing (I was at boarding school from age 7-17) .... I really LOVE having 'things'!   I even buy stuff, just so I HAVE it - I don't necessarily even USE it or wear it!! 

But I am nowhere near as bad as those shown on TV!!

It worries my husband more than it does me!  LOL  He has just given away 2 of his racing bikes and about 20+ tyres & tubes (now that he has stopped competitive racing.)   I can't see me doing that with my fishing rods & ukuleles!!  I only have about 50 rods & 10 ukuleles!!  ;) 

But I love my stuff - and know that I need to declutter BIG TIME as we DO want to downsize sooner or later ..... and that will take a couple of years on it's own, I reckon!  :(  

I'll do a 'Scarlet' thing (from 'Gone with the Wind') - Tomorrow, I'll think about that tomorrow!!

In the meantime - I'm going fishing!   :) 
  • Annie C
    Annie C Member Posts: 849
    Options
    @onemargie
    What a post.  You have expressed it all so well. I will take the time to write out your post in my journal so that when I "slip" I can go back and reread it. An inspirational piece.

@kmakm my emotional recovery has taken a year. There is still the fear, still the teary moments and still the angry moments. However they are not as overwhelming. I still have those "f**k I had breast cancer" moments and not a day goes by where I do not think about BC.

There was a time when I refused to drive to Broome from Derby for a shopping / lunch outing with husband or friends because it brought back all the trauma of having to fly down to Perth for treatment.  So many bad memories. A week ago I had to fly to Perth for my first 12 month scans. I breezed through the airport - and that's when I realised that I was getting better emotionally. 

It was better when we flew back into Broome and started the 3 hour drive home. I began to relax getting closer to home. The red dirt, the boab trees, the blueness of the sky and the space around us I "felt" home and I realised how settled I am. 

I too once read that psychological studies show that 50% of women with breast cancer have some ptsd but only about a quarter of those women seek help of some kind.  That's a lot of hurting, confused and distressed women. I was lucky - my gp recognised my distressed state. She prescribed "happy pills". Normally I would have refused them, gone out and chucked another boab nut at old man boab tree. This time, even my lonely little fogged brain cell recognised that I needed some enhancing help. It took a while - over 10 months for me to realise "It is what it is" (my new mantra). I have done all I can. 

It does take time. The experienced hands on this site who kept posting that things will get better were my comfort. 

BCNA forum site is my sanity site. 
  • onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Options
    Don’t worry @Zoffiel. I’ll come and find you under your pile of timber, cockroaches and we will all go and grab a wine and go watch the sunset!! . And I hope my little post gives you all some encouragement. Please don’t give up. Life is definately worth it. Margie.   Xxxx
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    edited June 2018
    Options
    @onemargie  Incredible post. My mojo is definitely gone. I don't have the motivation to get it back at the moment. The thought of having to make myself do stuff to get it back is daunting. I don't know where to even start. Hopefully one day I'll wake up and the energy will be there. I loathe myself at the moment. Anything would be an improvement on this.
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I stick to nature. It is designed to heal the soul. It brings me peace. Don't worry about what others think you should feel or should be doing. You look after you first according to what appeals to you. I also seem to have nurtured myself a jigsaw puzzle fetish. It has been going on since the treatment ended in April 2016. I have Netflix on as well and I like TV show series as they will just keep on playing one episode after another. I love kayaking which I only started a few months ago. Maybe you could write down a list of things that might appeal to you? Anything to get your mind scheming instead of mulling. ;)
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Trying to convince hubby to head to the beach for a few days next week when the school hols start. I don't care if I feel like crap, I don't care if the bed is hard, I don't care if it rains, I don't care if the entire family descends - I just need some sea and sand and a change of scene.

• JSN
    JSN Member Posts: 34
    Options
    Thanks for the posts, all of your posts.  I have read them with tears rolling down my cheeks.  One thing that stands out is 'finding your way back to you'.  I have absolutely no idea who or where I am emotionally.  Trying to renavigate a world that is so changed for me.  I see through very different eyes.  I am coming up to my 12 month scans etc.  Terrified, anxious, lonely, panicked.  I finished chemo in January, Rad in March. Daughters 21st was the same time so no party or any extra celebrations as my treatment took centre stage.  Eyelashes and eyebrows fell out during chemo and then a few months back they came back and now they have dropped out/thinned out again-is this normal? 

I am back at work, short grey/silver hair when it used to brown and past my shoulders.  There is nothing private about this disease and treatment. Colleagues are nice, but of course, don't understand.  The horror stories at times still occur (people trying to relate tell you of the awful thing that happened to their relative) or I hear 'well now you have to get to five years'.  One lady I work with can barely look at me.  I either terrify her or she she feels such pity that it is too painful for her.  I used to love where I worked.  Part of me still does but now, post BC I think I want to leave.  All my family has been affected.  I look at all my relationships differently and experience days of being down, angry, hurt, scared and alone.  Its so isolating and everybody who knows me knows what I have been through of course and the constant reminder is how different I look.  Friends are ...... I don't even know what that means to have friends. 

Now my considerations turn to 'should I have a hysterectomy plus ovaries & Fallopian tubes out', should I have bilateral mastectomies?', should I push for MRI & CT as I never had either. 

I have been trying to participate in life and feel so guilty when I say in bed like today just trying to understand my thoughts and the feelings of sadness and vulnerability.  Feel like I should be being actively grateful and doing things to show how amazingly grateful I am.  I have all these thoughts now related to the different body I now have.  Everything is heavy.  Joints all ache-worse now in winter. I used to 'bam do this' 'bam do that'.  Now its a planned bam with not much bam at all. One thing at a time. Every twinge now I am terrified its back.  It is like I don't know my body and I guess I don't because everything is so changed.  My memory is absolutely shocking and sometimes I forget words.  I can see the thing in my mind that I want to say but I don't remember what its called-is this normal? How long does it take to feel 'normal' what ever that is.

• onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Options
    @SamJgS please contact me love. We only live about 20 minutes apart. I’m honestly happy to catch up. I wish everyone from this post could all get together. It would be awesome.  I’ve sent you my number again. @sister definitely get to the beach it’s still beautiful down the bay or Brighton in the winter. So blissful. Thinking of you all today am going to make brownies now.....yum. its my post bc medication. Margie xx